Coopers Community

Milk Stout

Hi all, long time.

I’m brewing. Milk Stout at the moment and want to add some lactose, but cant find the info I’m after.

It was suggested to me that I could “dry hop” using lactose, but the threads I’ve read so far seem to add Lactose during initial ferment.

So confused, could someone please point me in the right direction.

Those that have used this ingredient please, how much, etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

tony

7 hours ago, tonyj3 said:

Hi all, long time.

I’m brewing. Milk Stout at the moment and want to add some lactose, but cant find the info I’m after.

It was suggested to me that I could “dry hop” using lactose, but the threads I’ve read so far seem to add Lactose during initial ferment.

Thanks in advance.

tony

Hi Tony

Using the Coopers Recipe Database as a reference, Lactose use in a Milk Stout seems to range between 250 - 500g in a 23L brew.  Like you say, I have only seen it added to the fermenter before fermentation.

I accidentally added 1kg of Lactose to a Pavlova Pale Ale that should have been 500g.  The beer was sweet, but not stupidly so.

Good luck with your brew.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tonyj3 said:

Hi all, long time.

Thanks in advance.

tony

Hi Tony I have made two Milk Stouts the first one was with the Coopers Irish Stout Tin and dark malt extract with 250grams of Lactose mixed with the Tin and dark malt extract in the fermenter. It was nice. I also made an all grain batch with 300grams which I added in the last ten minutes of the boil. Hope that helps. I can’t see the point in a dry hop because the yeast won’t eat it and fermentation will make sure it’s mixed in without stirring up the yeast cake later on. 

Good luck and enjoy 🍻 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Done a bit more research since posting, seems very much a trial and error scenario.

My local brew shop has suggested mixing in hot water and adding at anytime.  Giving it a stir and then let it resettle until bottling. I have opened my brewer to add T bags of hops before, but there is a risk of adding an infection.  I’ve been lucky, but just that, would hate pour a wort do the drain.

The thought of stirring all that much back into the fermented wort doesn’t really grab me.

I’ll probably just bottle this one and start with another batch and add the lactose right at the start.

I have used Muntons Irish Stout before, and would rate it as the best I’ve found.

Thanks again, happy brewing.

Edited by tonyj3
Error
  • Like 3

Ok, just did the deed, decided on 200gms for the first one, probably underdone, but it will give me a starting base..

Saw a recipe today that was in gallons and pounds so spent the morning doing the calculations.  Essentially it works out at about 250-300gms for a 23 litre wort.   ( as mentioned by one of you honourable gentlemen above). The current wort is a “All in brewing, Butchered Widow  Russian Imperial Stout”  made up to 20 litres.  Only problem is it is a seasonal wort and will come in around  8.5-9.5%.  Real head banger.  I couldn’t get the Muntons Irish Stout, for my next, at my shop so gone for a Coopers Stout.  I’ve made it before and enjoyed it.  My local brew dude said to make it up to only 18 litres, with the inclusion of the lactose in with the cans, which, in his view makes for a much better brew.  Unfortunately another head banger though.

I  guess because I dissolved the lactose in boiling water, about 300mls, it will have a dilution effect on the alcohol overall.  Maybe not a mistake after all considering the % of the expected brew above.

I’ll post the outcome.

happy brewing.

tony

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hi.. just seeing how this brew went?

I've recently done a All Inn FWK Milkshake IPA and dry hopped 250g lactose (along with 400g mango and 170g passionfruit, and 70g galaxy).

It's come out more bitter than I expected so my question is -

Will increasing the dry hop to 500g reduce the bitterness a bit?... (I'm also planning on upping the fruit to get it a bit fruitier).

Cheers

Just now, Titans19 said:

Sorry I meant increasing the lactose dry hop to 500g..?

Sorry to be pedantic but dry hopping is with hops.

I assume you mean you will add more lactose? This will not remove bitterness it may somewhat mask it.

Time will reduce the impact of the bitterness

• Like 1

1 minute ago, interceptor said:

Sorry to be pedantic but dry hopping is with hops.

I assume you mean you will add more lactose? This will not remove bitterness it may somewhat mask it.

Time will reduce the impact of the bitterness

With these fresh wort kits (and a few other recipes I've read) you add the lactose when you dry hop.