Coopers Community

HOME BREW vs COMMERCIAL BEER

Hi Guys,

After a bit of shopping yesterday I called into a pub for a couple & one of the regulars was complaining to the barman about the head on his beer ( or lack of it )

I noticed mine was dissipating fast & I said 'I can make better than this at home'  He looked at me & mumbled something about the SAS. 

I was a cook in the Army so I asked  him why would he say that & he informed me it stands for SELF ADMIRATION SOCIETY.

• Haha 2

The beers I have been making since starting back with the 'art' would have to be better as I prefer them over the commercial swill now. The taste is better tho the head on my glass is not as good as commercial, yet. I would prefer a HB beer similar to the stuff I am making over an offer of a commercial beer by far. 

• Like 1

I was a Bogan VB swilling bloke up until Covid hit - had been since the late '70's. No work and some time on my hands I turned to home brewing. It's a testament to this great forum, it's brewers who are willing to freely share their knowledge and the Coopers products that I now choose to continue to home brew over swilling the VB's. I absolutely prefer the HB now over a commercial any day of the week. Drink on lads!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

The beers I have been making since starting back with the 'art' would have to be better as I prefer them over the commercial swill now. The taste is better tho the head on my glass is not as good as commercial, yet. I would prefer a HB beer similar to the stuff I am making over an offer of a commercial beer by far. 

I hardly drink commercial beer these days, don't get me wrong there are some great beers & great pubs but I think the everyday pint of this or that is very ho-hum. 
I still enjoy going to the Pub/Craft Breweries etc but as you say your own beers taste a whole lot better & you don't have to worry about the 🚔 either.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I was a Bogan VB swilling bloke up until Covid hit - had been since the late '70's. No work and some time on my hands I turned to home brewing. It's a testament to this great forum, it's brewers who are willing to freely share their knowledge and the Coopers products that I now choose to continue to home brew over swilling the VB's. I absolutely prefer the HB now over a commercial any day of the week. Drink on lads!

I agree with what you say except for one thing 🤮 VB - I wouldn't drink it if it was free !! However that is only my opinion, this forum is a truly wonderful place for all to fine tune their brewing skills & to compare ideas etc. Sort of a stay at home Men's Shed as well as our Lady brewers. 😄

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Now take Southwark, I don't think I [or others] can make a beer so bad as to compare with this stuff. But, that is only my opinion 😉

I must agree. The first time a tasted it in a bar in Adelaide I couldn't finish the glass.

I couldn't believe that a brewery could make beer so bad and still sell it.

Is still around.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

No argument there Barra fella, bloody awful stuff, 'Green Death' 😬

I reckon Brigalow would have to rate worst homebrew kit in my book too. I bought some Extra Malt [brew enhancer] from them a few weeks back and sent an email asking for the ingredients and volume per 1kg bag - has malto, dextrose, and malt. They have not replied because a) they don't care about customers, or b) they don't know lol.

4 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

I reckon Brigalow would have to rate worst homebrew kit in my book too. I bought some Extra Malt [brew enhancer] from them a few weeks back and sent an email asking for the ingredients and volume per 1kg bag - has malto, dextrose, and malt. They have not replied because a) they don't care about customers, or b) they don't know lol.

I know I bought there Extra Malt from Big W it is cheap & nasty mainly sugar & small quantities of dextrose & maltodextrin. I wasn't a fan of there Munich Lager either, I am not knocking them generally as they have some great products. Coopers Brew Enhancers are much better. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I must agree. The first time a tasted it in a bar in Adelaide I couldn't finish the glass.

I couldn't believe that a brewery could make beer so bad and still sell it.

Is still around.

There are some limited edition, new releases of it floating about, much improved on the old Green Death. Their Southwark Premium range Old Stout are drinkable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

Now take Southwark, I don't think I [or others] can make a beer so bad as to compare with this stuff. But, that is only my opinion 😉

The below picture Southwark product is actually a fabulous beer

image.png.70630af75371e2a7808f493c0f7927af.png

• Like 2

It was during the 70's beer strike in Qld that I tried Southwark. Bought a 6 pack, all ya could get of any beer at time, and opened a can, took a mouthful and nearly vomited. Threw remainder of the can at a cat which threw it back it was that bad. Hurled the remaining 5 cans in the bin. 

image.png.bb3c9b6bbf3de0ec26c73b464851e34b.png

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

It was during the 70's beer strike in Qld that I tried Southwark. Bought a 6 pack, all ya could get of any beer at time, and opened a can, took a mouthful and nearly vomited. Threw remainder of the can at a cat which threw it back it was that bad. Hurled the remaining 5 cans in the bin. 

Mate, I have to agree with you, I would do the same with VB but I wouldn't take a mouthful. 😬

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

Funny you mention that @Barramullafella, my old man talks about the same strike in Qld in the 70,s and said this was the only beer he could get, and he also said it was shite 🤣🤣🍻🍻

• Haha 1

OK guys, we all live in different States, obviously no one is going to agree on which is the best commercial beer in Australia but if we were to select beers from each state & somehow find a system to tally the votes we may emerge with a winner. Someone who has knowledge of running spreadsheets would be the ideal person, I know someone but that would be dobbing Shamus in. OOPS, he may be too busy or not interested. Anyway, just a thought. No big deal just curious on peoples thoughts.

Cheers anyway.

I would suggest personally the following 5 beers.

1. Coopers Pale Ale

2. Carlton Draught

3. James Boags's Premium Lager 

4. Little Creatures Pale Ale

5. Toohey's Extra Dry

14 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

OK guys, we all live in different States, obviously no one is going to agree on which is the best commercial beer in Australia but if we were to select beers from each state & somehow find a system to tally the votes we may emerge with a winner. Someone who has knowledge of running spreadsheets would be the ideal person, I know someone but that would be dobbing Shamus in. OOPS, he may be too busy or not interested. Anyway, just a thought. No big deal just curious on peoples thoughts.

Cheers anyway.

I would suggest personally the following 5 beers.

1. Coopers Pale Ale

2. Carlton Draught

3. James Boags's Premium Lager 

4. Little Creatures Pale Ale

5. Toohey's Extra Dry

For me I do/did not mind the following:

Carlton Draught - on tap

Toohey's Old - on tap

XXXX Gold

Carlton Mid

Being born and bred WA my main tipples  used to be -

Emu Bitter

Swan Draught - on tap

Still enjoy a Swan Draught during happy hour at the local pub (a guilty pleasure), haven't had an EB in a while though - mainly because I don't buy commercial beer for home anymore and haven't seen it on tap in a long time (suspect it doesn't exist anymore).

Carlton Draught I regularly drink at the footy (WAFL) and I don't mind it.

Sorry, XXXX gold is one of the worst beers I have every tried. I remember many, many years ago the can bar at Lathlain Park ran out of every beer except XXXX gold so we tried it and were thankful when the siren went so we didn't have to buy a second one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RoyalDave said:

Being born and bred WA my main tipples  used to be -

Emu Bitter

Swan Draught - on tap

Still enjoy a Swan Draught during happy hour at the local pub (a guilty pleasure), haven't had an EB in a while though - mainly because I don't buy commercial beer for home anymore and haven't seen it on tap in a long time (suspect it doesn't exist anymore).

Carlton Draught I regularly drink at the footy (WAFL) and I don't mind it.

Sorry, XXXX gold is one of the worst beers I have every tried. I remember many, many years ago the can bar at Lathlain Park ran out of every beer except XXXX gold so we tried it and were thankful when the siren went so we didn't have to buy a second one.

Hi Dave,

I lived in Perth from 1979 to 1986 & travelled the entire state & through Northern Territory. I used to have an office in East Victoria Park, it was actually Denis Lillie's Cricket World's old office showroom upstairs on Albany Highway & the East Victoria Park Hotel was my second office,  😄 I loved SW & WB & drank it for years, funnily enough my house was in Thornlie & the Swan Brewery was at the end of my street, I don't think it's open anymore. I have fond memories of WA & my favourite trips were to the Kimberley's/Broome/Darwin etc. Always something to drink.

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Hi Dave,

I lived in Perth from 1979 to 1986 & travelled the entire state & through Northern Territory. I used to have an office in East Victoria Park, it was actually Denis Lillie's Cricket World's old office showroom upstairs on Albany Highway & the East Victoria Park Hotel was my second office,  😄 I loved SW & WB & drank it for years, funnily enough my house was in Thornlie & the Swan Brewery was at the end of my street, I don't think it's open anymore. I have fond memories of WA & my favourite trips were to the Kimberley's/Broome/Darwin etc. Always something to drink.

Yeh, the brewery was shut down years ago.  All Swan & Emu is now produced in either Adelaide or Tasmania  - one does the kegs, the other the bottled. That's progress.