Coopers Community

Temperature Drop during Fermentation

jmursyd

Hi,

I'm new to brewing and have just mixed up my first batch using the Brew Kit. My brew was at 22-24 degrees when mixed and left to ferment but unfortunately we had a very cold snap and the temperature fell to about 14 degrees overnight - the brew is currently less that 24hrs into the process.

Will this impact the brew and should I keep going and try and maintain the temperature at 21-24 degrees for the rest of the process ?

Cheers jmursyd

have u got heater belt or pad? if not a hot water bottle on each side just boiled water and wrap in a jacket should get it cracking again. Don't give up and don't open lid to look at it. I'd don't notice any visible signs or ferment like krausen Foam on top by tomorrow give it small stir or safer rock fv around a little to stir it up. If get warm again it should be ok don't panic. pic below of krausen but not having one doesn't mean not fermenting just a good sign.

20210602_155820.jpg

9 minutes ago, jmursyd said:

Hi,

I'm new to brewing and have just mixed up my first batch using the Brew Kit. My brew was at 22-24 degrees when mixed and left to ferment but unfortunately we had a very cold snap and the temperature fell to about 14 degrees overnight - the brew is currently less that 24hrs into the process.

Will this impact the brew and should I keep going and try and maintain the temperature at 21-24 degrees for the rest of the process ?

Cheers jmursyd

The yeast will likely go to sleep at these temperatures, if it is an ale yeast. 

What's important in brewing is a fairly constant temperature and swings of 10C aren't helpful. Maybe you have an old doona you can wrap the fermenter in. That will at least keep the cold out a bit. 

Once you figured out whether brewing is for you, you can think about getting an old fridge and a temperature controller but until then, try the doona and if it gets too hot, a swamp cooler will do too. Wrap the FV in a wet towel and have a fan blow at it. That'll cool things down a bit.

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The yeast will likely go to sleep at these temperatures, if it is an ale yeast. 

What's important in brewing is a fairly constant temperature and swings of 10C aren't helpful. Maybe you have an old doona you can wrap the fermenter in. That will at least keep the cold out a bit. 

Once you figured out whether brewing is for you, you can think about getting an old fridge and a temperature controller but until then, try the doona and if it gets too hot, a swamp cooler will do too. Wrap the FV in a wet towel and have a fan blow at it. That'll cool things down a bit.

Hey  @Aussiekraut  your knowledge & input is always spot on, looking at your profile picture I can tell you are roughly about the same age as me,  Please correct me if I am wrong, & I remember the processes, which brings me to the topic of wrapping FV's in Doonas, Electric Blankets etc, but in this day & age the prices of Temperature controlled devices/heat belt - pads etc, it surprises me  why they aren't promoted enough, especially when a novice walks into a LHBS & isn't even told about them. That used to be the backbone of how to keep your brew warm/cold.

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey  @Aussiekraut  your knowledge & input is always spot on, looking at your profile picture I can tell you are roughly about the same age as me,  Please correct me if I am wrong, & I remember the processes, which brings me to the topic of wrapping FV's in Doonas, Electric Blankets etc, but in this day & age the prices of Temperature controlled devices/heat belt - pads etc, it surprises me  why they aren't promoted enough, especially when a novice walks into a LHBS & isn't even told about them. That used to be the backbone of how to keep your brew warm/cold.

In this day and age you have to have a very accommodating LHBS vendor that will educate the novice brewer who casually walks into their store and expects a two minute course in the fundamentals of brewing.

11 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

In this day and age you have to have a very accommodating LHBS vendor that will educate the novice brewer who casually walks into their store and expects a two minute course in the fundamentals of brewing.

I can certainly understand that but I think there are a few factors to consider;

How busy the store person is at the time, How much do they care about their job, A novice will usually ask many questions & as you say expect a free crash course.

However if the novice is guided into the basic but correct procedures he will be more inclined to keep coming back not only to buy more goods but ask more questions.

Customers keep doors open & if you can go out of your way & pass down knowledge to them everyone wins in the long run.

I must admit, I visit 3-4 LBHS regularly mainly for stocks these days but some owners/managers & even staff members are very helpful where others prefer to stay behind the counter playing with their phone.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

have u got heater belt or pad? if not a hot water bottle on each side just boiled water and wrap in a jacket should get it cracking again. Don't give up and don't open lid to look at it. I'd don't notice any visible signs or ferment like krausen Foam on top by tomorrow give it small stir or safer rock fv around a little to stir it up. If get warm again it should be ok don't panic. pic below of krausen but not having one doesn't mean not fermenting just a good sign.

Thanks Jamiek86 for the advise and tips