Coopers Community

water filtration

jamiek86

after saying multiple times that I was happy with my brews even with basic tap water from Murray River I've decided to experiment. My fridge has filter and water tastes better without as much chlorine taste and clearer so technically my beer should taste better too if filter before brew. Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these hose ones and if not and anyone filters water what they use?

Screenshot_20210603-050208_Samsung Internet.jpg

10 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

after saying multiple times that I was happy with my brews even with basic tap water from Murray River I've decided to experiment. My fridge has filter and water tastes better without as much chlorine taste and clearer so technically my beer should taste better too if filter before brew. Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these hose ones and if not and anyone filters water what they use?

Screenshot_20210603-050208_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jamie there is a cheaper option  called a campden tablet    

if you going to bother about water filtration ya might as well go the full hog and get a RO setup  
that brings back  your water to next to nothing and adding your own salts

but i would be interested see how you go  with this filter

what company is offering that?

Edited by ozdevil

@ozdevil just an aqua company for Gardens and caravans and stuff think I found one bit better with trade tech or something might just give this a go to start with before get too technical. Baby steps suppose just know filtered fridge water taste better and suspect my sulphur lager smells coming from chlorine and fluoride in tap water reacting with yeast. Definitely option down track to build own water profile RO setup?

Being in trade that use filtered water for coffee machines, I can recommend as an inline filter this one See the source image

There is also the Brita c150 which is a good filter.w-brita-c150-finest-1.jpg 

If there was a need for further filtration than I would bank up the filters rather than RO unless it was absolutely necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

If there was a need for further filtration than I would bank up the filters rather than RO unless it was absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure banking the filters would do much except waste money.  If something gets through the first filter it's going to get through the next one as well, unless it's a different level of filter or different type.

I have an under sink RO system, has 4 pre-membrane filters and a post-membrane one that adds back in essential minerals like Ca & Mg. Total cost was $100, (& I got 2 x sets of filters for about $50 as well) incl. the post filter but excluding the tank, which I already had from a previous (much more expensive) system. Works out at around $0.008 c/L. 

I don't worry about the pH etc. I just use it and I figure it gives me a standard base to make brews. It serves 2 of us for all water that enters our bodies, and I did a calc at one point that suggested the estimated 12,000L would do us at least 2 years. They will tell you to replace the filters every (insert number) months but that's BS - what matters is how much goes through it. I think they tell you that to get you to come back and buy more. My previous (expensive) system they wanted ~$200+ to replace the filters, which is why I found the cheap version on ebay - which ALSO came from Qld and uses the same brand filters, although a different shape, so I couldn't use my old containers. 😞 

Every few months I take out the filters and give them a wash to clean out sediment etc - mostly it's only the first in the line up that needs a good clean.

• Like 2

I have a Puratap fitted under the sink, I use the water for drinking, coffee & making my brews. All I know is that it tastes good.

I cannot comment on Water Filtration, PH levels etc as I don't know much about the subject. Living in Berri on the Murray River as a kid I remember the water tasted awful, then moved to Adelaide & had to adjust to the taste. I have no concerns now though.

• Like 1

+1 for Puratap. There are cheaper ways to filter your tap water but for about $80 a year they come out and change the filters for me. If the maintenance was left up to me they'd probably get changed every decade or two.
The filters must do a god job because my extremely fussy, image conscious daughter would rather drink our Puratap water than a trendy branded bottle of water. It has nothing to do with price either, it's all about the taste. She recently bought a branded bottle for an outing but didn't end up drinking it. She said I could have it because the Puratap water tastes better.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

+1 for Puratap. There are cheaper ways to filter your tap water but for about $80 a year they come out and change the filters for me. If the maintenance was left up to me they'd probably get changed every decade or two.
The filters must do a god job because my extremely fussy, image conscious daughter would rather drink our Puratap water than a trendy branded bottle of water. It has nothing to do with price either, it's all about the taste. She recently bought a branded bottle for an outing but didn't end up drinking it. She said I could have it because the Puratap water tastes better.

I need to investigate changing of the filters, I have only been in this place since last March & it was here when I moved in. It still tastes fine but I probably should check it out.

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

I need to investigate changing of the filters, I have only been in this place since last March & it was here when I moved in. It still tastes fine but I probably should check it out.

From what I understand they recommend changing every 12 months for the dual filter system and every 6 months for the single. I have the dual system and in the first few years I noticed they were contacting me every 10 months roughly to do the changes. $$$$ driven I guess. So from then on I started to postpone them to around 15-18 months per change. I never detected any real difference in water taste doing this.

6 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

From what I understand they recommend changing every 12 months for the dual filter system and every 6 months for the single. I have the dual system and in the first few years I noticed they were contacting me every 10 months roughly to do the changes. $$$$ driven I guess. So from then on I started to postpone them to around 15-18 months per change. I never detected any real difference in water taste doing this.

That's good to know, I mainly use mine for drinking/coffee/cooking & making beer.  As I don't drink water all day ( apart from taking Panadol from to much of the other stuff )  I haven't noticed any change in taste. 

14 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these hose ones and if not and anyone filters water what they use?

I use the Bunnings one in-conjunction with ascorbic acid.

14 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Jamie there is a cheaper option  called a campden tablet

Kinda but not, achieves a different but overlapping option. And how is it cheaper? The cartridge lasts for 6 months.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Kinda but not, achieves a different but overlapping option. And how is it cheaper? The cartridge lasts for 6 months.

bunnings inline for hose or for kitchen tap? 

In the country I thought you would have rain water @jamiek86. The filter looks good and as others have said you can use campden tablets for chlorine removal or the cheaper option of sodium or potassium metabisulfite which is what campden tablets are. I use it when I use tap water. A quarter of a teaspoon for my 19L batches. 1kg for 20 bucks will basically last you till you die. I'm pretty sure it doesn't expire either so you could hand it down to the kids too 😆

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1kg-Sodium-Metabisulphite-Metabisulfite-99-0-Food-Grade-/174553531516?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah well if there are other shit in the water then additives are out. Filter is the only option. 🙂

not anything solid looking but comes from Murray river but would be fluoride and who knows what else in it. I read a carbon filter was good at getting all sorts of stuff out. I wish I had good tank water have small tank on side house full of leaves and mud after a good clean out would be good for catching brew water.

1 hour ago, Green Blob said:

yeah i get it only masks the chloromine    but campden tablets are cheap and you only need half a tablet

but not a bad option   that filter   at that price

Just now, ozdevil said:

yeah i get it only masks the chloromine 

No it doesn't, they remove it.

39 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

bunnings inline for hose or for kitchen tap? 

caravan one

39 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

cheaper option of sodium or potassium metabisulfite

Goes to shit if it gets wet. 

Nicer for the lungs is ascorbic aciiiiied

caravan filter hooked up to a new garden hose yes not food grade but never had problem. Already looks and taste better with slow 1 micron filter should make beer taste better. not usual chlorine taste should be better for yeast.

20210611_115216.jpg

20210611_115359.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Jamiek86 I would be interested to see if any difference in hyrdometer reading of both. I tried on the water I use pre-filter and after filtration there was no difference, but I am using rain water not town supply.

I assume for lager I will notice diffence hopefully the glass had no chlorine taste like normally would so should be better for yeast hopefully. I'll get pic later of unfiltered deff more crap in it.

my reading was up 2 points from normal but steeped carapils 

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 1