Coopers Community

Nobody said anything about this...

Journeyman

2 brews yesterday, and XPA and a Fixation. 

The XPA was normal except for the first time I used Wheat Liquid Malt Extract (WLME?) along with 750g LDME and APA can. So all new really as I don't think I've done it with APA either.

The Fix I used American Ale Malt and Caramalt along with some LME and LDME. They went in the fridge within an hour of each other, and here is where it gets strange...

About 3 hours after putting them in I had a look. The XPA looked normal - maybe a half cm foam layer across the top. But the Fix looked like this...

image.thumb.png.62b178f4ad7b7078725053dee4f877ee.png

It's not all that clear in the pic but there are 3 parallel lines across the top (& some clumps) - they look like soggy bread or maybe cotton wool lines. I thought "Well, crap! Maybe my first infection!" When I got to bed I lay awake trying to work out just where it might have happened, but I got nuttin'! 😄

Woke up this morning to this...

image.thumb.png.516fbc3036d353a67463d6dc67f93483.png

All perfectly normal looking, smells good and all. Looks just like the XPA in the bottom shelf.

I usually check my brews after an hour or so and I've never seen anything like this before. I thought maybe it was the wheat extract but that went in the XPA.

Just when you think you've got this, home brew chucks a wobbly and says, "Oh YEAH? Cop this!" 😄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Maybe - just never seen it before. All my brews have first formed a layer of bubbles across the top, which thickens into the krausen like you see in pic #2.

I had it the other day very similar  with some harvested US05 in a red Irish Ale it should look normal soon when it cranks up

2 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I had it the other day very similar  with some harvested US05 in a red Irish Ale it should look normal soon when it cranks up

Yes, it did that. It's the top brew in the 2nd pic. Just never seen contrails across the top of my brew before. 😄

14 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

I sometimes get that with LME if not dissolve it properly or added really cold water or Ice to achieve pitching temp.

If it's a cold break as suggested, that would make sense. That's not what I did though and although the water might have been colder than usual due to the recent cold sanp, it wasn't coming from the tap but out of my under-sink RO system. Plus the 1st one didn't do it. So I'm puzzled as this is the first time I've seen it.

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Journeyman, I was told it was cold break too.  Beer turned out fine.

Well it looks and smells good. (yes, I might have cracked the top to check. 😄 But just a sniff in then close. 😄 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Who knows what or who dwells in there while fermenting. 🐛

The hidden world of the FV, where strangeness lurks and hopes reside.

Kegland have a special on Lallemand yeasts, so I was having a browse and it occurred to me - if I get some Kveik yeast and use it in my fermentasaurus, could the beer ferment before I put it in? 😄 I mean Kveik is supposed to do lightning fast ferments and pressure ferment in the F'saurus is also. Could I pour in the wort, pressure the vessel and promptly keg it? (bit of an odd morning, OK? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Journeyman said:

If it's a cold break as suggested, that would make sense. That's not what I did though and although the water might have been colder than usual due to the recent cold sanp, it wasn't coming from the tap but out of my under-sink RO system. Plus the 1st one didn't do it. So I'm puzzled as this is the first time I've seen it.

Well it looks and smells good. (yes, I might have cracked the top to check. 😄 But just a sniff in then close. 😄 

yes its usually gone when either you stop looking or it fires up which ever occurs first 😜