Coopers Community

WEST END BREWERY CLOSURE

Well all of you Crow Eaters ( there must be some that didn't mind one )  according to all of the tabloid/media the West End Brewery is closing, a sad day indeed for SA.

I guess it is a sign of the times, they reckon the growth of Craft Beer has contributed along with other economic issues.

Lion has today announced plans to close the historic West End Brewery in June 2021.

A statement released by the Kirin-owned brewer described the closure as a “sad day for the West End team, Lion and South Australia”.

3398996ce5930fe6389ac13fc40e84f9

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It's been maybe 20 years since I was last in Adelaide. I stayed with a couple of mates who loved West End. Now, I had to use the old rule about "the only complaint you can make about the free beer your mate is handing you is about the serving temperature" and I wound up drinking quite a few. Never had one prior or since. Still, I don't like seeing historic breweries close, especially after they've been bought out by the megacorps who always ruin things by cheapening them. It's a real shame for the staunch fans who are probably old blokes that will take it hard.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Instigator said:

It's been maybe 20 years since I was last in Adelaide. I stayed with a couple of mates who loved West End. Now, I had to use the old rule about "the only complaint you can make about the free beer your mate is handing you is about the serving temperature" and I wound up drinking quite a few. Never had one prior or since. Still, I don't like seeing historic breweries close, especially after they've been bought out by the megacorps who always ruin things by cheapening them. It's a real shame for the staunch fans who are probably old blokes that will take it hard.

Mate, it not so much about what the beer tastes like, I have been to every state in Australia & tried all of the beers, believe me, there are some shockers out there.

160 people lose their jobs, not to mention those before them that relied on a steady income to support their families. It as a tradition as much as it would be with say Carlton United & others, no state can afford to lose such a historical icon. It is a sad thing after all of the major motor vehicle manufacturers closing, then Coco Cola etc ...

I am happy to be retired as I worked most of my life for myself relying on self confidence & the pure desire to survive, I was motivated by others before me that tolled daily in such places.

So we have to put with all of the big boys taking over the hard sweat & tears type of businesses that used to thrive, not to mention the stupid decisions by the knobs in the government.

Anyway, I have had my say, on a brighter note, Cheers. 😃

I think that it is such a shame that all the traditional Australian breweries from the past have all been gobbled up by various multinationals. Now, besides Coopers, it is just the Japanese conglomerates, Asahi and Kirin that own everything.

38 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I think that it is such a shame that all the traditional Australian breweries from the past have all been gobbled up by various multinationals. Now, besides Coopers, it is just the Japanese conglomerates, Asahi and Kirin that own everything.

And I don't think Coopers can be taken over by an aggressive buyer. I remember reading somewhere that Cooper's shares are protected by a class system. The A class shares are only available to Cooper family members. Outsiders can only buy B, C & D class shares, which are non-controlling shares. Something like that anyway. I may have mixed things up but hopefully you get the gist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

And I don't think Coopers can be taken over by an aggressive buyer. I remember reading somewhere that Cooper's shares are protected by a class system. The A class shares are only available to Cooper family members. Outsiders can only buy B, C & D class shares, which are non-controlling shares. Something like that anyway. I may have mixed things up but hopefully you get the gist.

I'm fairly sure they have knocked back multiple massive offers to be taken over. The worst part about this is the fact that they are moving it not stopping it all together. Can't comment any further but to say I work for a place that has done this to a fraction of product. Would almost rather not see it at all than to go somewhere else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

meant coopers have knocked back offers by the way heaps over the years as far as I know.

Yes but there was a time where they nearly got taken over by SA Brewing (I think it was) in an aggressive takeover. They eventually thwarted that attempt and that's when they restructured the company into classes of shares so it couldn't happen again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

Yes but there was a time where they nearly got taken over by SA Brewing (I think it was) in an aggressive takeover. They eventually thwarted that attempt and that's when they restructured the company into classes of shares so it couldn't happen again.

great info glad to know one big Aussie still remains it doesn't usually take long for the smaller craft ones to be taken over. I could tell was something different with fat yack then saw on bottle had been taken over by lion Nathan I think

• Like 1

There's a pattern to it - you see it in wine as well. Small guys make excellent product and get bought out, (an offer too good to refuse) then the big guys change the process (and often the recipe) because the bean counters control things and people stop buying the product. 

So they stop production and sometimes sell the infrastructure and jobs are lost. 

In the meantime small guys are starting to make good product again and taking the market share, so the big corps buy them out etc.

We're just lucky it's a lot easier to make home brew thanks to Coopers and a couple of others who support it. Wine drinkers need a company to start making home brew wine packs that are drinkable so they can survive the eternal scum-sucking accountants who keep ruining the industry.

• Like 2

One of the guys at the pub is a self employed wine merchant, he worked for a big wine co for years & decided to give it a go, he is struggling a bit now & blames it on the pop up fast growing band of 'Craft' style wineries /cellar door & of course all of the Supermarket Bottle shops. I quite often see different business owners stocking up at some of them.

Back in the old days another of my mates worked for CUB travelling all over calling on Pubs etc. 

It has all changed now & as you say we are lucky to be able to brew our own.

• Like 1