Coopers Community

SMART 4K ULTRA HD TV

OK people, how many of us are p....... off with the garbage on Free to Air TV, I know I am but as I was a Cook I can quite comfortably watch Rick Stein & a few other shows but seriously most of the other stuff is, well, crap. In our age of technology & the products available to us, I am in the fortunate position to own a 65 inch 4K TV.  This is to me a privilege & I am quite comfortable watching YouTube, Netflix etc & escape the dictation by the commercial networks. 

I understand some of you would probably have bigger TV's & maybe 8K, but I am more than happy to sit back & enjoy what I have.

Just curious to see how many of you actually get time to watch it with work commitments, this forum & not to mention the SWMBO's.

I am single but that doesn't really mean anything, I guess it gives me a bit more rope.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Just curious to see how many of you actually get time to watch it with work commitments, this forum & not to mention the SWMBO's.

Me and my SWMBO have an arrangement.  She watches Masterchef on the good telly and I watch, apologies beforehand, Big Brother on my little telly that sits beside my computer screen with the Forum on it.  AFL on the weekend then Netflix afterwards.  Beer brewing Youtubes when I can.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My wife is the big TV watcher in our household and I definitely need to buy a SMART TV.

Programmed something like this:

Is there anything on the gas stove? = yes = DO NOT TURN ON

Has the garden been watered? = no = DO NOT TURN ON.

Are there any weeds in the garden? = yes = DO NOT TURN ON.

Has the postal mail been collected and dealt with? = no = DO NOT TURN ON.

Does the dishwasher need emptying? = no = DO NOT TURN ON.

Are you going shopping to another suburb? = yes = DO NOT TURN ON.

Of course she always has the right to a reply.🤣

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Haha 1

Big Brother, My Kitchen Rules, Married At First Sight etc is supposedly PRIME TIME TV these days. Makes me kind of glad I work afternoon shifts and I don't have to watch.
I bought my wife a bigarsed TV a few months ago (it's 5 to 6 foot on the diagonal) but virtually all my viewing is done via my PC monitor eg. Youtube. I rarely watch FTA TV because of the tripe on offer. Of the few shows I do watch I can get them streamed on the PC. In particular I like Anh Do's Brush With Fame and Australian Story. Otherwise I'm just usually watching slow horses. I prefer to watch fast ones but for some reason the ones I back are the slow ones. 😕 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

My wife is the big TV watcher in our household and I definitely need to buy a SMART TV.

Programmed something like this:

Is there anything on the gas stove? = yes = DO NOT TURN ON

Has the garden been watered? = no = DO NOT TURN ON.

Are there any weeds in the garden? = yes = DO NOT TURN ON.

Has the postal mail been collected and dealt with? = no = DO NOT TURN ON.

Does the dishwasher need emptying? = no = DO NOT TURN ON.

Are you going shopping to another suburb? = yes = DO NOT TURN ON.

Of course she always has the right to a reply.🤣

Cheers - AL

Wow @iBooz2  fairly strict rules, good though, SWMBO's need to learn their place, I think they should greet you at the door with a cold beer, slippers & the paper & coax you into a chair & turn on the TV for you while they commence their duties in the kitchen, speak when spoken too & of course wait until you ask them if they would like to watch something. 🤣

NOW apart from the fact that you probably know I am single, I was only joking, apologies to any ladies that may have seen this. 🥵

Smart TV is the way to go.

• Haha 1

We have a 65 inch 4k Ultra Samsung. A bit of surround sound going on. Purely for sport, movies and music.  I avoid free to air like the plague.  We have Foxtel. My Mrs is into gold prospecting and watches all the Aussie Gold Hunters and Opal shows.

I just put the footy on or crank up youtube tunes. 

When we feel a bit snuggly we'll watch a good movie together. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Big Brother, My Kitchen Rules, Married At First Sight etc is supposedly PRIME TIME TV these days. Makes me kind of glad I work afternoon shifts and I don't have to watch.
I bought my wife a bigarsed TV a few months ago (it's 5 to 6 foot on the diagonal) but virtually all my viewing is done via my PC monitor eg. Youtube. I rarely watch FTA TV because of the tripe on offer. Of the few shows I do watch I can get them streamed on the PC. In particular I like Anh Do's Brush With Fame and Australian Story. Otherwise I'm just usually watching slow horses. I prefer to watch fast ones but for some reason the ones I back are the slow ones. 😕 

Hey Muzzy, you sound similar to some guys who I know whose wives have to watch all of that Big Brother, My Kitchen Rules, Married At First Sight etc stuff & condemn the poor guy to his study/man cave/spare bedroom/shed etc to brew wonderful beers & drink them without being nagged whilst you are having a bet & watching whatever you want either a secondary TV/PC.

FTA TV has so much garbage, repeats & advertisements that I hardly ever watch it but as you know I am single whether that is an advantage or not. 🤔

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Muzzy, you sound similar to some guys who I know whose wives have to watch all of that Big Brother, My Kitchen Rules, Married At First Sight etc stuff & condemn the poor guy to his study/man cave/spare bedroom/shed etc to brew wonderful beers & drink them without being nagged whilst you are having a bet & watching whatever you want either a secondary TV/PC.

FTA TV has so much garbage, repeats & advertisements that I hardly ever watch it but as you know I am single whether that is an advantage or not. 🤔

Not so much condemned. I actually enjoy the solitude.

I got a 4K 75" recently, mid level on special for $2300 delivered. 
It is a bit better than a base model and TVs last a long time.
I don't use the smart features, my wife uses it mostly, she'll often plug a laptop in.
I prefer a monitor and PC or PC to the TV, I find computers a LOT easier to use than fancy TV features.
The PC has a dual TV tuner for recording, I couldn't watch anything with commercials in it.
The TV guide https://www.ourguide.com.au has ABC at one side and SBS on the other, and almost entirely rubbish in-between.

There is good stuff like Killing Eve.  What We Do In The Shadows series (not free to air) is great.

I might as well waggle my walking stick at that new fangled surround sound too, a decent stereo amp for me.

• Like 1

8k is not really worth the hassle   no filmaker  is doing films in 8k   resolution yet  
most 4k  movies  etc are upscaled 1080p to show on 4k

there is a few good movies on 4k and s  getting better  all the time

I own  just a small 55inch samsung 4k smart tv i actually want to go 75 but mrs ozdevil said no way 

I dont run netflix or stan or kayo  or disney   just amazon prime as i get the for free  as well as sbs  (only watch sbs  to watch this particular show called BEERLAND)

I have my 4k tv hooked up to Nvidia Shield  not that i need to run a shield  on it, as there is apps on the samsung  i would use but i 
can just run better applications from a 4k nvidia shield   as i spend alot time on IPTV   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Wow @iBooz2  fairly strict rules,

Yeah Narh, its all good I was only trying to be funny.  I am not really like that, I made those up as I went along.

My high school sweetheart knows me too well and she can give as good as she takes.  If you saw her list of rules for me you would die! 

Number 1 is - if I cook all the meals I get sex every second night.

She does have two DVD recorders set-up full time and does/has to record every show on every channel she cannot actually watch live during a day.  Only trouble is it takes another week for her to watch all those shows she recorded and that puts her behind on the live shows. 

So the circle of her "TV shows catch-up" gets bigger and the sex get pushed back until "tomorrow night".   Never skips one of my dinners but. 

Mmmm I think I am doing something wrong.....

Cheers - AL

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yeah Narh, its all good I was only trying to be funny.  I am not really like that, I made those up as I went along.

My high school sweetheart knows me too well and she can give as good as she takes.  If you saw her list of rules for me you would die! 

Number 1 is - if I cook all the meals I get sex every second night.

She does have two DVD recorders set-up full time and does/has to record every show on every channel she cannot actually watch live during a day.  Only trouble is it takes another week for her to watch all those shows she recorded and that puts her behind on the live shows. 

So the circle of her "TV shows catch-up" gets bigger and the sex get pushed back until "tomorrow night".   Never skips one of my dinners but. 

Mmmm I think I am doing something wrong.....

Cheers - AL

My Sister does similar, refuses to actually watch anything because of the adverts, she records everything she wants to watch, somehow fast forwards through them during replay.

She just continues to confuse me, in my opinion defying all logic.  I figure if I miss a show or an episode, so be it. 

I used to record stuff but these days I couldn't be bothered, with You Tube, Netflix etc & all of the channels available it is not important to me.

Watching Beer Making, David Attenborough, Rick Stein & a couple of others is enough all enjoyed on a Samsung 65 inch UHD 4K TV.

13 hours ago, ozdevil said:

8k is not really worth the hassle   no filmaker  is doing films in 8k   resolution yet  
most 4k  movies  etc are upscaled 1080p to show on 4k

4k is hardly worth it too unless you hire movies and have a 4k blue ray.

Foxtel only have two 4k channels, free to air none. I'm not sure about youtube is it 4k or just HD?

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 9:19 PM, CLASSIC said:

Shamus, you watch Big Brother !!! Oh hang on, of course - Sonia ... 

A bit like the golf scoop - one notes you know Who TF Sonia is... 😄 

23 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I think they should greet you at the door with a cold beer, slippers & the paper & coax you into a chair & turn on the TV for you while they commence their duties in the kitchen, speak when spoken too & of course wait until you ask them if they would like to watch something. 🤣

NOW apart from the fact that you probably know I am single

And now we see why... 😄 

We have a 55" 4K Smart TV but don't even have an antenna because we have so little interest in the FTA PITA junk. Any good shows I might have once had an interest in have gone woke or so PC they are unwatchable. Aussie comedy has gone that way also - it's not funny nor even clever these days. 

Bittorrent works well for anything we want to watch or youtube and Kodi for other stuff. Lots of English comedy (usually panel) shows like 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown or Have I got News For You etc.

SWMBO is usually content to sit doing games on her phone or laptop and leave the remote in my hands so that's all good. 

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I'm not sure about youtube is it 4k or just HD?

I get You Tube in 4K if it is specified on the actual program tile, otherwise they are HD, some are actually older & low definition depending on how old the program is.

With Netflix it is $9.99 per month for SD, $14.99 per month for HD or $19.99 per month for UHD (4K) I opted for $19.99 per month.

• Like 2

Just now, CLASSIC said:

I get You Tube in 4K if it is specified on the actual program tile, otherwise they are HD, some are actually older & low definition depending on how old the program is.

With Netflix it is $9.99 per month for SD, $14.99 per month for HD or $19.99 per month for UHD (4K) I opted for $19.99 per month.

Ah yeah, i forgot about netflix Classic. I've got that but never use it, my daughter stole my password and smashes it. I'm pretty sure we have 4k netflix.

11 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

4k is hardly worth it too unless you hire movies and have a 4k blue ray.

Foxtel only have two 4k channels, free to air none. I'm not sure about youtube is it 4k or just HD?

i never hire movie and i dont have a blue ray 

My movies are either through  IPTV   or Amazon Prime

repeatel  , the only channels i really watch on foxtel is  the footy channels and  Sky racing 1 and 2  , the mrs watches  the repeats on the other channels

However i do agree but hwever there is 100's of movies that are being upscaled to 4k, yeah not filmed in 4k but have been able to  broadcasted at 4k

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Netflix and Stan both have 4k  movies and are round the same price however though Stan also has now got sports package.

Most of the netflix and Stan 4k movies are just upscaled  , but still worth it

15 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Bittorrent works well for anything we want to watch or youtube and Kodi for other stuff. Lots of English comedy (usually panel) shows like 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown or Have I got News For You etc.

Bittorrent   ya playing with alot of fire  on that one great way to bread virus    

Kodi is very old school now but still useful  if you can get repositories to work and ya use real debrid on it

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

Ah yeah, i forgot about netflix Classic. I've got that but never use it, my daughter stole my password and smashes it. I'm pretty sure we have 4k netflix.

Just on 8K it is available to those who have an 8K TV & on You Tube there are programs broadcast in it but they are limited, I have seen 8K & the difference in resolution is unbelievable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Just on 8K it is available to those who have an 8K TV & on You Tube there are programs broadcast in it but they are limited, I have seen 8K & the difference in resolution is unbelievable.

Interesting, i thought 4k was pretty good.

2 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

8k is unbelievable    , i have heard from some experts that  8k is going to be a bit of flop like the  3d tvs in how they went

We still havent quite caught up world wide on 4k  reolution as not many of the big production companies are using 4k due to the costs
let alone 8k resolution.. 

But 4k is  starting to become the norm

and  for the average person 8k  on 55-65 inch   might be good but hardly good use of a 8k resolution as it is designed i believe (i could be wrong) for the bigger 80" above

The Basics of 8K

8K is a higher resolution than 4K—and that's it. 1080p screens have a resolution of 1,920 by 1,080 pixels. 4K screens double those numbers to 3,840 by 2,160 and quadruple the number of pixels. 8K doubles the numbers again, to a resolution of 7,680 by 4,320. That's four times the number of pixels as 4K, which means it's 16 times that of a 1080p TV.

For context, look really closely at your TV. Try to find a single pixel (not the individual red, green, and blue lights; those are subpixels, which means you're too close). If you're looking at a 4K screen, imagine four pixels taking up the space of that single pixel. If you're looking at a 1080p screen, picture a grid of sixteen pixels, four by four, within that single pixel. That's 8K. It's much sharper than 4K and much, much sharper than 1080p.

There was more but starting to get sick of it ...yawn