Coopers Community

Stout Virgin

Connradd

Hi everyone, first time brewing and have no idea what I'm about to do. I have developed taste for Imperial Russian Stout but at $13 a can I figured screw it I'll make my own. I'm going to go off the recipe from the Cooper's site but if anyone has any advice or tips it would be hugely appreciated. Cheers.

• Like 2

Hi @Connradd  Welcome to the forum, I would reckon that would be you best bet if you are a newbie as my research tells me it is an All Grain recipe for Advanced Brewers.

Having said that, this is the right place for you to get advice & tips as there are some very advanced brewers on this site who are willing to share their knowledge with you.

Good luck with your brewing & Cheers.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Connradd said:

Hi everyone, first time brewing and have no idea what I'm about to do. I have developed taste for Imperial Russian Stout but at $13 a can I figured screw it I'll make my own. I'm going to go off the recipe from the Cooper's site but if anyone has any advice or tips it would be hugely appreciated. Cheers.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/russian-imperial-stout.html

This one? The process is nice and easy on this one. It's as simple as mixing the ingredients as outlined in the instructions. If you follow those, you can't go too far wrong 💪 You might still be buying cans for a little while yet though, as this one will take some time before it's ready to drink. 

If it's your first brew, Cooper's have a couple of videos that are probably worth watching.

Brewing Support

As are these from another forum member. Not the same brew but outline the process.

Toucan Stout and English Bitter

Making sure everything is clean should be your top priority.  If you're not sure about what's involved in this bit - we can fill you in.

Good luck 👍🏽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Connradd said:

Further to the advice above, this is a brew where you will want to fit the Krausen collar.  I assume you are using the current Coopers fermenter that comes with the plastic cylinder insert.  This is a brew that produces a lot of krausen or foam above the fermenting liquid.  If you do not fit the Krausen collar, you will have an overflowing foam monster coming out of your fermenter.  If using a more traditional fermenter with an airlock. you would be better to replace the airlock with a tube from the grommet into a bucket of sanitiser so the foam can come out of the tube into the bucket.  You can dispose of the foam in the bucket from time to time.

I found this brew quite drinkable after 4 weeks.  Six months was its peak.  At 12 months it was not as good.  I only carbonated with 1 carbonation drop per bottle.

Best of luck with the brew.  It is not the trickiest one to do, but still more than just putting your proverbial brewing toe in the water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

welcome to the world of brewing,

you have been given some good advice above 

as others have alluded to  sanitisation  is going to be your new best friend
anything that is going to tough your wort  needs to be samitised.

before starting  prepare  your day  lay everything out in order of use this way your not scrounging around
looking for things when brewing as they are already in easy access

if using tins of goo  heat the entire tin in some hot water before you open
this will help get all the goo  out.

when you finish  with the tin of goo get some hotwater and fill the empty tin to get the remaining 
bit of goo out 

Dont use anything metal inside like a metal mash paddle inside the fermenter as you could scratch the surface
of the fermenter  , which makes a great hidey hole for bacteria in which can infect your wort.
if you have a Plastic Spoon or  plastic mash paddle these should be fine

trust your hydrometer readings   from you s.g  and f.g      when you think the ferment is finished   take a hydrometer reading then 2 days later  if the 2nd final gravity reading is the same
then your safe to bottle or keg

Don't panic if using a fermenter that has an Airlock and its not bubbling this could simply be that your lid is not on properly and the co2 is being pushed out through the lid instead of the airlock

once fermenting  don't take the lid off   just to take pics of the wort.  only real need to take a lid off the fermenter during fermentation is to  add your dry hops.  as having the lid off  for a long period can introduce oxidiation  , which is something you don't want in your beer, specially if you want to mature your beer for long periods of time.

When you are to pitch your yeast  make sure you give your wort a good airating  as this will make your yeast  very happy  and will help the wort ferment better..

enjoy your  first brew  day  and we all look forward to seeing the final product in the glass

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the advice, gonna go pick up a few things from the local brew store and start it tonight. I'm using the Cooper's home brew kit and keeping things simple for my first attempt. Wish me luck.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

before starting  prepare  your day  lay everything out in order of use this way your not scrounging around
looking for things when brewing as they are already in easy access

where are you on.my brew day my kitchen is quite cluttered and if the missus is here rolles her eyes at all last min things out of the room or my reach 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

where are you on.my brew day my kitchen is quite cluttered and if the missus is here rolles her eyes at all last min things out of the room or my reach 😅

Well i brew   in the carport so i have to drag things out and in

so might as well get things organised while my strike water is  getting to mashing temp

if i was indoors over a stove   its an organised chaos

• Like 2

I may as well have my two bob's worth, I agree with the others, I like to have everything laid out & ready for brew day, I use my kitchen mainly & I start with everything cleaned down, equipment sanitised & all ingredients at the ready, a lot of people could say I am too fussy but in this game cleanliness is everything !!

Today is Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale.

Cheers.

20210428_102850 (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quick question: do I add any of the "enhancer" products to my stout? The recipe doesn't call for it but I noticed on the tin it's recommended but also each tin recommends a different type, or should I just follow the recipe and not add any? Please help 🥺

This is what I'm going off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Connradd said:

Quick question: do I add any of the "enhancer" products to my stout? The recipe doesn't call for it but I noticed on the tin it's recommended but also each tin recommends a different type, or should I just follow the recipe and not add any? Please help 🥺

This is what I'm going off.

I would day with these ingredients you wouldn't have to but you could if you want. Other members may have other ideas - the Dextrose should be enough.

RECIPE CONTAINS:

• 1 × Stout (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Dark Ale (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Lager (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Dextrose (1kg)
  • 1 × Carbonation Drops (250g)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

I would day with these ingredients you wouldn't have to but you could if you want. Other members may have other ideas - the Dextrose should be enough.

RECIPE CONTAINS:

• 1 × Stout (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Dark Ale (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Lager (1.7kg)
  • 1 × Dextrose (1kg)
  • 1 × Carbonation Drops (250g)

Just chucking this in, if you are following the Coopers Stout 1.7kg tin it says BE3 ( Brew Enhancer 3)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Connradd said:

Nah, mate. Just the ingredients in the recipe 👍🏽

Brewed this about 7 years ago. You need bricks on the lid to keep it on. Still have bottles of it and still very drinkable - liquid fruit cake. Mates regularly request it during winter but a little goes a long way. Good luck!

• Like 1

Ok so I think I may have screwed up 😢 underestimated how difficult it was to achieve 18°c. This really slowed down the start process trying to reach that temp and unfortunately the closest I got was around 20-22°c. Should I just dump it and try again? Also what's the best method to maintain a low temp, should I go all out and get a fridge and temperature controller? I definitely didn't think this through. 

12 minutes ago, Connradd said:

Ok so I think I may have screwed up 😢 underestimated how difficult it was to achieve 18°c. This really slowed down the start process trying to reach that temp and unfortunately the closest I got was around 20-22°c. Should I just dump it and try again? Also what's the best method to maintain a low temp, should I go all out and get a fridge and temperature controller? I definitely didn't think this through. 

Mate 20-22 should be ok.. you probs wanna keep it down to that - not higher.

Plenty brewers do go with ambient.. but depending upon your yeast strain often around 18 degrees C is pretty good... obviously lager yeasts like 10-12 or so... 

I would not throw the brew out no way.... just brew it at that temp and see how it goes... waste not want not... 

And yeah really an Inkbird Temp Controller and a serviceable old fridge is the biz for temp control...  plug fridge into inkbird - temp probe taped to the FV...

Note that your ferment also being exothermic will generate its own heat so that can raise the temp as well... 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Connradd said:

I wouldn't chuck it yet, depending on where you are & the climate the temp should go down a bit, also the yeast should be able to handle that range. Some of the more experienced brewers may steer you in the right direction. An fridge & temp control is definitely a bonus & the surefire method.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys I'm gonna keep it brewing, just got home noticed it was sitting at 24 😬 so I'm trying the submersion technique to chill it down abit. Trial and error. I'm gonna pick up a fridge and temperature controller this weekend.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Connradd said:

Thanks guys I'm gonna keep it brewing, just got home noticed it was sitting at 24 😬 so I'm trying the submersion technique to chill it down abit. Trial and error. I'm gonna pick up a fridge and temperature controller this weekend.

24 degrees isnt to bad i wouldnt worry to much ...    

just becareful moving it  so you don't airate the wort  to avoid oxidaition  

fride and temp controller will be ya bst friend in brewing   Specially in Summer months

make sure you get the inkbird  temp controller with wifi   , that way you can  control your brew  from anywhere in the word when fermenting

On 4/28/2021 at 11:14 AM, CLASSIC said:

I may as well have my two bob's worth, I agree with the others, I like to have everything laid out & ready for brew day, I use my kitchen mainly & I start with everything cleaned down, equipment sanitised & all ingredients at the ready, a lot of people could say I am too fussy but in this game cleanliness is everything !!

Today is Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale.

Cheers.

20210428_102850 (2).jpg

@CLASSIC Looks like a bachelor's pad to me....... (not that's there's anything wrong with that). Just seeing your fridge paraphernalia. I could be wrong of course you might have a very tolerant partner.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Boot Straps said:

@CLASSIC Looks like a bachelor's pad to me....... (not that's there's anything wrong with that). Just seeing your fridge paraphernalia. I could be wrong of course you might have a very tolerant partner.

the  Classic meister , has made not he is a bachelor , and i think he loves it that way

good luck to him, but  i would be lost with out my good partner

20 minutes ago, Boot Straps said:

It certainly is a bachelor's pad & that's the way it will stay @Boot Straps  When I feel the need to pursue a fair maiden or a beer, I can go across the road & go the Pub or catch a tram to the City one way or the other way to the Bay (Glenelg Beach ) @ozdevil There are plenty to go around, I love being single. 😜

• Like 2