Coopers Community

Your first car

Stickers

Volkswagen Type 3 Station Wagon.  Dad bought one brand new in 1973.  For another $300 he could have bought a Ford Falcon XA GT.

I inherited it from my folks when I started driving.  Then my young sister used it for a few years.  My younger brother drove it for 5 minutes and then went and bought an XB V8.  My youngest sister also drove it for a few years too. Sadly not a pic of the car, but it was the same model and colour.

VW.jpg.752786fe6e7470d1b8d4e3de12495981.jpg

• Like 5

This topic always saddens me due to my own stupidity.

My first car was a 1974 VJ Charger. I got it in 1982 for $1,000. My older brother spotted it and told me to get it. It needed a little work, not much, but he's an auto spray painter and got it looking pretty good for me. A new exhaust system and away we went. Beautiful car.... until my youthful exuberance got the better of me and I lost control of it doing a burnout. Ploughed it into a tree and a Stobie pole. Thankfully I never hurt anyone and I was the only occupant in the car.

So not only did I have to pay for the Stobie pole ($1500 in 1982, my wage was less than $100 a week) but I also wrote off what is now considered a very collectable, Australian muscle car. Probably worth over $100K today.

Picture not my actual car but very similar.

IMG_20210421_214411.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

1977 HZ Kingswood. 202 red motor. Parents had it for about 15 years and gave it to me and I had it for about 5 years till 2001. Never stopped and probably never would have stopped if the rust didn't get to it. Same colour as the pic but different wheels.

Screenshot_20210421-203843_Chrome.jpg

I had a HZ Kingswood also. 202, bench seat, 3speed column shift. Terrific car. It was like Bruce Doull the Carlton half back flanker of the 70s/80s. Nothing flashy, just ever reliable and never let you down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

This topic always saddens me due to my own stupidity.

My first car was a 1974 VJ Charger. I got it in 1982 for $1,000. My older brother spotted it and told me to get it. It needed a little work, not much, but he's an auto spray painter and got it looking pretty good for me. A new exhaust system and away we went. Beautiful car.... until my youthful exuberance got the better of me and I lost control of it doing a burnout. Ploughed it into a tree and a Stobie pole. Thankfully I never hurt anyone and I was the only occupant in the car.

So not only did I have to pay for the Stobie pole ($1500 in 1982, my wage was less than $100 a week) but I also wrote off what is now considered a very collectable, Australian muscle car. Probably worth over $100K today.

Picture not my actual car but very similar.

IMG_20210421_214411.jpg

my first significant girl friend's first car was a charger. although things didn't pan out between us, i always hoped she kept that car (sporty red number)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stickers said:

my first significant girl friend's first car was a charger. although things didn't pan out between us, i always hoped she kept that car (sporty red number)

If she's still got the car would you mind if I hooked up with her, Stickers? 😁😁😁

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

If she's still got the car would you mind if I hooked up with her, Stickers? 😁😁😁

that's the thing though.. a lot of the big vals got scrapped or trashed or thrashed.. imagine if everyone held onto them

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stickers said:

that's the thing though.. a lot of the big vals got scrapped or trashed or thrashed.. imagine if everyone held onto them

My old footy club, Gaza in Adelaide, recently hosted an All Chrysler day on the oval. There were some beautiful old Chargers on show....along with a few Sigmas and Galants.

• Like 1

Not the actual car. Mine was a 1974 Fiat 128. Dad bought it for a carton of beer, had it re-sprayed and then it became my car. The engine was a whopping 1100cc with 45HP. Barely pulled a sausage off a plate, let alone go up a hill swiftly with 3 other people in the car 🙂 I drove the rust bucket for 6 months, before I fried the engine.

image.png.fcc7181514c3186e30261738d60c8ad1.png

• Like 7

Mine was a 1963 Hillman Minx, my parents bought it for my 16th birthday, we lived on a fruit/vineyard property in the Riverland SA & I could drive anything we had on the property from bikes, cars, utes, trucks, tractors so getting my license was a cinch. Back then you could get your license at 16 years old. I kept it for years & gradually worked up into bigger & better things.

In 1972 I ordered a brand new XA Ford Falcon 2 door Fastback V8 & paid cash for it. Neither of these cars are the originals & I think the Falcon is an XB.

Happy to just get around in a Ford Escape 4WD these days.

11129958 (2).jpg

1973-ford-falcon-xa-gt-rpo83-hardtop.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

This thread has embarrassed me. My first car was a 1990 Holden Barina.

i drove an 89 or 90 barina, banana yellow 2 door hatch when I was working for an australia post licensed post office for a year or two mid 90s (work car) when part my duties was picking up mail from the delivery centre and delivering it around the industrial estates. it was such a fun little car to drive

• Like 1