Coopers Community

DRY HOPPING

NorthStar

I got a Mexican Cerveza & a Real Ale brewing now. I plan to keep it in the buckets for 2 weeks then bottle. Question is when I add my dry hops to it just open the lid toss in the hops and closed lid. Do I have to worry about oxygen getting into bucket or will CO2 fill it again with the remaining fermentation. Silly question I know.

6 minutes ago, NorthStar said:

I got a Mexican Cerveza & a Real Ale brewing now. I plan to keep it in the buckets for 2 weeks then bottle. Question is when I add my dry hops to it just open the lid toss in the hops and closed lid. Do I have to worry about oxygen getting into bucket or will CO2 fill it again with the remaining fermentation. Silly question I know.

Not a silly question at all. You wont have a problem with oxygen the CO2 blanket is quite robust.

You can put the hops straight into the brew and then wish you hadn't as they will continually block the bottling wand if you are putting it into bottles.

Easiest way is to tie them up into a clean Chux and then drop it into the brew. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Not a silly question at all. You wont have a problem with oxygen the CO2 blanket is quite robust.

You can put the hops straight into the brew and then wish you hadn't as they will continually block the bottling wand if you are putting it into bottles.

Easiest way is to tie them up into a clean Chux and then drop it into the brew. 

Thanks will do.

To the chux I add a SS spoon and string. Oh and I got the large chux roll from Bunnings - think it's 60cm x 30cm.  The spoon weights the hops down and the string is held by the lid so the hops doesn't sink into the trub. Then I can use the string to pull them out and not disturb the trub in the bottom.

Chux Hops 1.jpg

Chux Hops 2.jpg

Chux Hops 3.jpg

Chux Hops 4.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/18/2021 at 9:08 PM, Journeyman said:

To the chux I add a SS spoon and string. Oh and I got the large chux roll from Bunnings - think it's 60cm x 30cm.  The spoon weights the hops down and the string is held by the lid so the hops doesn't sink into the trub. Then I can use the string to pull them out and not disturb the trub in the bottom.

Chux Hops 1.jpg

Chux Hops 2.jpg

Chux Hops 3.jpg

Chux Hops 4.jpg

👍

What is the quantity of the dry hop? Do you cold crash?

For dry hopping under 80g, I just toss them in. Between 80-100g, I think about it and then usually just toss them in (because I'm lazy). Over 100g I will contain them. But I do cold crash which helps them settle out.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

What is the quantity of the dry hop? Do you cold crash?

For dry hopping under 80g, I just toss them in. Between 80-100g, I think about it and then usually just toss them in (because I'm lazy). Over 100g I will contain them. But I do cold crash which helps them settle out.

If you're asking me, yes I CC. Usually do gelatin finings as well although recently circumstances have made 4 - m5 day CC's so I haven't bothered with the finings. It's not much effort to contain them even though my largest hops load has been circa 60g total. I like subtle hops rather than in-my-face, beer-obscuring flavours. 😄

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 9:08 AM, Journeyman said:

Hey @Journeyman  I am about ( today ) to add Hop Pellets ( POR ) to both 30L Fermenters for the first time as I have always done an Infusion.

I bought packets x 50gm Pride of Ringwood & was thinking of using 25gms in each FV since 28th April.

1 contains Coopers Draught

2 contains Belgian Ale

I was looking at your Chux method, but I think this time I will just chuck them in & of course if I have a problem with bottling, I will do it your way.

Cheers.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I was looking at your Chux method, but I think this time I will just chuck them in & of course if I have a problem with bottling, I will do it your way.

I go for minimum work. Also sometimes I don't get to the FV for a few days extra and don't like the idea of hops in there for a week. With the chux-on-a-string it's about 2 minutes to remove them and squeeze it dry so all the luvverly juice goes into the brew. Then  it doesn't matter if there's a 5 day CC before I get to keg it.

14 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I have been using the Teabag method for years, so time for a change, If I experience clogging at bottling I will buy the proper gear to fix it. I will know within a week.

I understand you like the teabag method mate 😂😂😂, but what about dry hopping ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

37 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I have been using the Teabag method for years, so time for a change, If I experience clogging at bottling I will buy the proper gear to fix it. I will know within a week.

Classic, when you find the proper gear to fix the clogging of the bottle filling wand when dry hoping commando please let us know as I feel this is a better method also.

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Mate I figured that but I didn't want to highlight it, anyway I chucked 25gms in each fermenter yesterday, as I said if I have problems with bottling I will get some of these. Cheers.

Hmm... So here's a thought. How about 1 of these flour sifters from ebay? Add some side strings or even a SS cradle so you can lift it.

30 cm wide - that's somewhere around the tap level on a Coopers FV - the flat sides make a difference from the screwtop FV 's - in one of those it would drop to the bottom.

Dry hops time, sanitise the sucker, drop it in the FV and add your commando hops. End of hops time, pull it out slowly and all the hops comes with it. 

Image 101 - Kitchen Fine Mesh Flour Sifter Round Stainless Steel Flour Sieve Strainer Sifter

28 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Hmm... So here's a thought. How about 1 of these flour sifters from ebay? Add some side strings or even a SS cradle so you can lift it.

30 cm wide - that's somewhere around the tap level on a Coopers FV - the flat sides make a difference from the screwtop FV 's - in one of those it would drop to the bottom.

Dry hops time, sanitise the sucker, drop it in the FV and add your commando hops. End of hops time, pull it out slowly and all the hops comes with it. 

Image 101 - Kitchen Fine Mesh Flour Sifter Round Stainless Steel Flour Sieve Strainer Sifter

Damn, what a great idea, I reckon that would work a treat, I will check it out, Thanks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Damn, what a great idea, I reckon that would work a treat, I will check it out, Thanks.

Mark am smrt! 😄 A solutions guy from way back - that's why I did user support for so long. I'm thinking about it myself - wouldn't be too hard to make a string basket for it so you can lower it to where you want. Strings sanitise easy and you can make a net to hold the sieve steady and level, with the ends trapped in the lid so you can grab them easily..

Edited by Journeyman

18 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Mark am smrt! 😄 A solutions guy from way back - that's why I did user support for so long. I'm thinking about it myself - wouldn't be too hard to make a string basket for it so you can lower it to where you want. Strings sanitise easy and you can make a net to hold the sieve steady and level, with the ends trapped in the lid so you can grab them easily..

Well there you go, full of ideas, since I have added the hops to both fermenters the airlocks have re-activated, only know again so I guess that is a good sign.

Those Hop Bags are only $2 for a pack of 10 - thinking it would be easier but your ideas have merit. As long as you don't get too smart to drink beer !! 🤣Weekend Monday GIF

• Haha 1