Coopers Community

Commercial Beer Ingredients ?

Barramullafella

• Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) –  alcohol is already addictive with some people, but with MSG?! Holy smokes.
  • Propylene Glycol (an ingredient found in anti-freeze)
  • Calcium Disodium EDTA (made from formaldehyde, sodium cayanide, and Ethylenediamine)
  • Many different types of sulfites and anti-microbial preservatives (linked to allergies and asthma)
  • Natural Flavors (can come from anything natural including a beavers anal gland)
  • High Fructose Corn Syrup
  • GMO Sugars – Dextrose, Corn Syrup
  • Caramel Coloring (Class III or IV made from ammonia and classified as a carcinogen)
  • FD&C Blue 1 (Made from petroleum, linked to allergies, asthma and hyperactivity)
  • FD&C Red 40 (Made from petroleum, linked to allergies, asthma and hyperactivity)
  • FD&C Yellow 5 (Made from petroleum, linked to allergies, asthma and hyperactivity)
  • Insect-Based Dyes: carmine derived from cochineal insects to color their beer.
  • Animal Based Clarifiers: Findings include isinglass (dried fish bladder), gelatin (from skin, connective tissue, and bones), and casein (found in milk)
  • Foam Control: Used for head retention; (glyceryl monostearate and pepsin are both potentially derived from animals)
  • BPA (Bisphenol A is a component in many can liners and it may leach into the beer. BPA can mimic the female hormone estrogen and may affect sperm count, and other organ functions.)
  • Carrageenan (linked to inflammation in digestive system, IBS and considered a carcinogen in some circumstances)

2 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I think if you studied that list too hard, you would give up beer ! Probably better if we don't know 🤔

Why I was curious to see what use MSG is in beer, if any. MSG being used to bring out the flavour in foods I figured it may be used in beer too. Commercial beer is all about profit and the most one can get out for the least effort or product used, then $$$. I have found that the swill I was drinking tastes like dish water compared to the beer/s I am brewing.  

11 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

I have found that the swill I was drinking tastes like dish water compared to the beer/s I am brewing.

I totally agree, everyday beers from the Pub/Club can become very ho hum. I went to lunch yesterday with a mate & the first beer out of the tap was a Coopers Pale Ale, one of my favorites but halfway through it & I lost the head & it was as cloudy as a fog. I don't bother to Cold Crash & my Pale is better & I can taste the hops. All of the others become boring after a while also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I have found that the swill I was drinking tastes like dish water compared to the beer/s I am brewing.

I totally agree, everyday beers from the Pub/Club can become very ho hum. I went to lunch yesterday with a mate & the first beer out of the tap was a Coopers Pale Ale, one of my favorites but halfway through it & I lost the head & it was as cloudy as a fog. I don't bother to Cold Crash & my Pale is better & I can taste the hops. All of the others become boring after a while also.

I went to a pub the other night with a few mates and I thought I would be cool and have a Swan Draught (good ol Swanny D) well it seriously tasted  flavourless with no character at all, almost like soapy water with no bitterness. So I worked my way through the selections on tap and thought I could of made two full size hoppy batches with the money I spent tonight and let my mates drink my beer and still be in front. Might make that suggestion next time although they drink mega swill so I might have to make some of that 🤔 maybe??? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Swan Draught

I agree, I find most of the old school beers now are brewed for a different market and age demographic and with the ABV being constantly being adjusted usually down to keep the excise bill down they don't taste the same.

Breweries aim for the mid/mass market where nobody really dislikes their beer and nobody really likes it, but they still drink it, providing it is in fashion.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I agree, I find most of the old school beers now are brewed for a different market and age demographic and with the ABV being constantly being adjusted usually down to keep the excise bill down they don't taste the same.

Breweries aim for the mid/mass market where nobody really dislikes their beer and nobody really likes it, but they still drink it, providing it is in fashion.

I moved to Perth in 1979 for a few years & drank Swan Draught & Emu Export for a while & enjoyed it, I probably still would.

Haven't even seen either of them for years but I haven't been looking either.

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I moved to Perth in 1979 for a few years & drank Swan Draught & Emu Export for a while & enjoyed it, I probably still would.

Swan Breweries was bought out then closed down a few years ago. I understand that it is brewed mostly in Adelaide now and marketed under a couple of the old Swan Labels, then put on the train to WA.

Just now, Pickles Jones said:

Swan Breweries was bought out then closed down a few years ago. I understand that it is brewed mostly in Adelaide now and marketed under a couple of the old Swan Labels, then put on the train to WA.

I think you are right, there are quite a few all under the same banner including some imported ones ie: Stella Artois etc ...

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

My dad started drinking Emu Export  again a few years ago cause it was cheap then they brought out the retro cans and it became popular again thus more expensive again much to his disgust🤣

1 minute ago, RDT2 said:

My dad started drinking Emu Export  again a few years ago cause it was cheap then they brought out the retro cans and it became popular again thus more expensive again much to his disgust🤣

I used to live in Yale Road Thornlie WA & Swan Breweries was just down the road, I used to call on them as they were a client in as much as they owned heaps of pubs in the city/metro area including regional areas. I supplied their hotels with printed cigarette lighters, stubby holders etc. It was great fun & a lot of travelling & of course lot's of Swan beers in lot's of Swan Hotels.

They were good times. 😄

I doubt much of that crap is in aussie beer.

Can you link to the report?
I know 150 Lashes has a cloudy additive in it.

Carrageenan

That is a seaweed extract and is used - it is the key ingredient in Whirlfloc and all grain brewers use it,

4 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

I doubt much of that crap is in aussie beer.

Can you link to the report?
I know 150 Lashes has a cloudy additive in it.

That is a seaweed extract and is used - it is the key ingredient in Whirlfloc and all grain brewers use it,

I will try and locate that report, Green Blob but in the meantime here is another one similar. “Toxic” Ingredients In Beer, Wine, And Spirits | Fat-Burning Man (fatburningman.com)

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

With all these articles you can google the shocking ingredients in just about anything and everything you put in your gob. I wouldn't take much of it with a pinch of salt.  

Yep, one day eggs are bad for you, then milk, then something else blah ... blah .... Just have a beer & get on with it. 

Cheers.

• Like 2

If you know someone who drinks beer – share this post with them.

These ingredients are no joke. We must inform and protect each other from these industrial chemicals, untested and potentially harmful ingredients and it starts by sharing your knowledge with the ones you love.

Bottoms up!

Food Babe

Ummm, yes. 

@Barramullafella thanks but that last bit makes the author seem like a twit. 
Australian beers won't have preservatives or msg in them. 

1. Are there any additional preservatives, stabilizers and/or clarifying agents added to your beer during processing? (Examples include: propylene glycol, Calcium Disodium EDTA, anything ending in “sulfite” like sodium metabisulfite, Heptylparaben, isinglass)

Sodium metabisulfite is used for cleaning, sometimes used for removal of chlorine from brewing water. Isinglass etc is used to clarify beer, as is gelatin and Irish moss.
I put ascorbic acid in my brew water. I have put epsom salt in too, I also make smallgoods and use sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

Came across this recipe list which may be of interest to members. Beer recipes #5 (gtp.com.au)

It would appear that is an old link,  there are 3 Brew Craft shops in Adelaide, Torrensville is the Head Office/Warehouse.   www.brewcaft.com.au  As far as I know the name existed in other states but has been taken over by SA.  AHB - Australian Home Brewing in Vic was formerly known as Liquor Craft & then Brew Craft but now trade as AHB - I am happy to stand corrected but as far as I know Brew Craft only exists in SA. There are a couple of old links on the web for USA, South Africa, NZ etc but I think their trading names have changed.

Anyway that doesn't matter, all recipes are handy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Yep, one day eggs are bad for you, then milk, then something else blah ... blah .... Just have a beer & get on with it. 

Cheers.

If you followed all the 'experts' the only thing OK to consume is water... and not too much of that or you drown.  

They slammed fats and got people consuming margarine - you don't want to know where that came from - and promoted sugar, then added all kinds of chemicals to cans, packets and processed foods but it turns out what's bad for you is sugar and carbs. (as well as the numbers they put into stuff)

The one booming industry for university experts seems to be making headlines. They will say and do anything to get their name on a paper and in the papers. (aside: How much longer can we say, "in the papers" before we get blank looks from the young? 😄 )

For several decades now I have trouble putting out a full bin for garbage - even at once every 2 weeks, it's usually not even half full - because we eat natural foods, hardly any packets or cans and they don't make the waste levels the processed foods do. I recently had a full battery of bloods done and at 66 yo the Doc sat looking through them making comments of, "excellent, excellent, that's great, brilliant" all down the list. I'm not a health nut so I put it down to staying away from 'experts' and their advice and buying fresh and uncooked.

That's another good thing about home brew - we KNOW what goes into our beers. 😄

• Like 5