Coopers Community

Pond scum in my beer

Shamus O'Sean

Hi Folks

Eyew!  I have got pond scum in one of my beers!  This is a photo of contents in a glass.  What could cause this?  Ideas, thoughts, comments? 

I will clean the keg line tomorrow.

I saw hints of this in the previous keg on this line.  The other kegs are fine.  Makes me think it is something between the keg and the tap outlet.

IMG_2361.thumb.JPG.6ec381985c0a2c34def163cb2ccaf408.JPG

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I'm not a kegger but could it be a disintegrating rubber O ring?

Thanks for your thoughts Muzz.  I do not think it is an O ring.  The bits are Brunswick Green in colour.  I have seen them before in the previous keg.  I think they are forming somewhere in the beer line and coming loose during pouring.  Hopefully a concentrated cleaning cycle will kill it.

• Sad 1

Thanks for the advice guys.

Culprit found.  Slime in the outlet side of the tap.  Scrub clean.  Sodium Percarbonate soak.  Dunk in sanitiser.  Lubricate seals.  Reassemble.

I do a line clean, rinse and sanitise each time I swap out a keg.  Just goes to show how something can sneak into the system.  Checked the other three taps and they were fine.  I will be more vigilant from now on.

IMG_2365.JPG.3929d0dc69114d198dc74c753c28ea51.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Culprit found.  Slime in the outlet side of the tap.  Scrub clean.  Sodium Percarbonate soak.  Dunk in sanitiser.  Lubricate seals.  Reassemble.

I do a line clean, rinse and sanitise each time I swap out a keg.  Just goes to show how something can sneak into the system.  Checked the other three taps and they were fine.  I will be more vigilant from now on.

*Makes note to do tap disassembly more often*

😄 What HAVE you been drinking?  😄 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Thanks for the advice guys.

IMG_2365.JPG.3929d0dc69114d198dc74c753c28ea51.JPG

Good job you discovered that @Shamus O'Sean  it would be unpleasant to have little gremlins in your beer !

• Like 1