Coopers Community

Hazy IPA coopers kit

Allan A

I'm querying the recipe. 3 types of hops  with ahtanum, strata and citra. Recipe calls for half of the ahtanum and Citra when steeping but not the Strata?

Then talks about adding remaining ahtanum, citra and Strata on day 5.

Is this a typo? Should you add half strata as well when steeping or only add it at day 5 as recipe suggests?

5 minutes ago, Allan A said:

I'm querying the recipe. 3 types of hops  with ahtanum, strata and citra. Recipe calls for half of the ahtanum and Citra when steeping but not the Strata?

Is this a typo? Should you add half strata as well when steeping or only add it at day 5 as recipe suggests?

adding all hops on day 5 would be a dry hop so the recepie would have been tested for aroma/flavour from.that and made accordingly. Maby try recepie as says first time and make your own adjustments second time if need be

9 minutes ago, Allan A said:

the recipe says to only use that hop during the day 5 dry hop stage, so don't add the half strata at the steep point but save it all for the day 5 dry hop point (along with the hops you have left from the steep)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stickers said:

the recipe says to only use that hop during the day 5 dry hop stage, so don't add the half strata at the steep point but save it all for the day 5 dry hop point (along with the hops you have left from the steep)

Thanks , will stick to recipe.

11 hours ago, Allan A said:

• On day 5, add in the Strata Hops and the remaining Ahtanum and Citra Hops (we recommend wrapping them in a mesh cleaning cloth, pulled straight from the wrapper).
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 11:51 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Allan A, I am planning this brew for a few weeks time.  I am keen to hear your feedback.  I will probably follow the recipe directions first and think about options later on.

Will keep you posted mate.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Strata combo IPA is really nice ..ive got some nearly ready to go ..chinook on the boil ..strata at flame out ..day 5 commando the strata chinook and galaxy ..couldnt keep my head outer the fermenter after bottling  

Edited by Breaktrainjack

• 2 months later...

I had an Oat Cream IPA the other day and thought it was great. My mate said the taste I was describing that I liked was the lactose that he added.

The Coopers Hazy is my favourite brew to date, would adding lactose make it better for me since I liked it in his brew, or would this completely stuff up the Hazy?

I have 200g lactose. 

Thanks

4 hours ago, Titans19 said:

I had an Oat Cream IPA the other day and thought it was great. My mate said the taste I was describing that I liked was the lactose that he added.

The Coopers Hazy is my favourite brew to date, would adding lactose make it better for me since I liked it in his brew, or would this completely stuff up the Hazy?

I have 200g lactose. 

Thanks

I reckon it would go well. Change it, yes. Stuff it up, no.

The Coopers Oat Cream IPA sounds nice

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2021 at 8:07 AM, Titans19 said:

I have 200g lactose. 

Thanks

Think I’ll have a crack at the Oat Cream IPA next @Titans19

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Think I’ll have a crack at the Oat Cream IPA next @Titans19

Me too.. I got scared and decided to wait until I did that before adding the lactose to my Hazy.

You and I seem to brew similar beers. I think I saw you have moved to AG. How are you rating it in comparison? 

45 minutes ago, Titans19 said:

Me too.. I got scared and decided to wait until I did that before adding the lactose to my Hazy.

You and I seem to brew similar beers. I think I saw you have moved to AG. How are you rating it in comparison? 

Pretty good so far, my first AG went well (German Kolsch ) it’s in the keg now gassing up, and my little sneaky taster yesterday tasted nice.

‘My second AG is a Pacific Ale ( S & W Clone ), just about to take out of the cube and put in fermenter.

‘All in all both brew days seemed to go well, so I’m pretty happy with the BIAB currently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Pretty good so far, my first AG went well (German Kolsch ) it’s in the keg now gassing up, and my little sneaky taster yesterday tasted nice.

‘My second AG is a Pacific Ale ( S & W Clone ), just about to take out of the cube and put in fermenter.

‘All in all both brew days seemed to go well, so I’m pretty happy with the BIAB currently. 

How much extra time and attention did it take you to do a BIAB compared to your other partial kits you've done?

@Titans19 I could do partials in say 1 1/2 hrs.

‘BIAB has taken me around 5 hrs, not all brewing though as there is a lot of waiting around.

I am only 2 brews in so I reckon I will cut that time down but for the first few I was happy to take some time, then refine as time goes by.

I am an anal sanitiser of all my equipment before brew & after and am pretty particular, so I don’t mind spending a bit of extra time.

‘But brewing is a never ending learning curve which I do love, and watch heaps of you tube brewing vids in bed, of which I have to use headphones or SWMBO gets upset, or I go to my study. 🤣🤣

Edited by Red devil 44
  • Haha 1