Coopers Community

Retro Beer Posters

54 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Just wondering how many of you are old enough to remember this stuff - I hope the stout I have in ATM turns out better !! 😬

I remember my mother bringing home a small bottle of Hospital Brandy.  She said it was for medicinal purposes only and just in case she felt something coming on!! 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I remember my mother bringing home a small bottle of Hospital Brandy.  She said it was for medicinal purposes only and just in case she felt something coming on!! 

Yes & an old mate of mine was in the navy & for years after he still looked for his ration of Navy Rum. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 12:34 PM, CLASSIC said:

Yes & an old mate of mine was in the navy & for years after he still looked for his ration of Navy Rum. 

@CLASSICI joined the Navy in '76 and by that stage they had phased out the rum ration for the lower ranks and replaced it with the Big cans of beer (KB at the time). Over time this was replaced with two cans a day per person.

KB cans.jpg

Edited by Boot Straps
added photo

41 minutes ago, Boot Straps said:

@CLASSICI joined the Navy in '76 and by that stage they had phased out the rum ration for the lower ranks and replaced it with the Big cans of beer (KB at the time). Over time this was replaced with two cans a day per person.

I remember the " Tooth Ache " as we called it, from what I can remember it wasn't one of my favorite's ! 😬

Nope.. Doesn't ring any bells for me Coopers were predominately a SA beer so we didn't get a lot of exposure to it over here in the East in the '70's, that I can remember anyway which is when I started drinking. What I do remember was Coopers beers were known for it's strength.

Edited by Boot Straps
edit

On 5/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, CLASSIC said:

Well I don't believe it, I thought it died out years ago, it's around 42% so still got some kick. 

Sorry Classic, we got our wires crossed.  I was talking about Abbotsford Invalid Stout still being available not the Hospital Brandy.   I was kind of surprised it was still around because Abbots Lager was discontinued in 1995 but the Stout has been in continuous production since 1909.   There was also an Abbotsford Sparkling Ale that was part of the same stable but well before my time.