Coopers Community

So it's back to brewing!

Journeyman

Had a few health worries recently, enough to curtail drinking and thus, making brews (cos I can only fit so many kegs in the fridge) and have completed a respectable amount of tests and scans. Latest bloods brought a series of 'excellent' and even a 'brilliant' for all my levels. Live and kidneys both better (significantly) than 2 - 3 years back, (last full bloods) and even cholesterol is down. Weight is up but diabetes markers are down.

So, even with about 18 months of drinking pretty much every night, things have improved. Chasing other possibles for issues but beer ain't one of them. YAAAAY!

It's just an opinion but I think the reason is I am drinking home brew - I'm almost certain if I had moved to drinking this much megaswill I'd have the doctor raginga bout my drinking. Instead she said, "looks like the beer is working for you - now lose some weight!" 😄

Which I am moving towards using dry enzyme to reduce sugars in the beer and even filtering to clear out other solids. 

So... the moral is, unless there is clear evidence the beer is doing harm, (liver or kidney damage) don't let the Doc convince you it is the thing responsible for issues. Look into other aspects of your life. e.g. carbs from grains, too much other sugars etc.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

If a doctor tells you give up up the beer, get a second opinion. 🤣🤣

Yep! But I'm gonna hang onto this doc - she's younger than me, so good prospects. 

The bugger is, got the news and now tonguing for a beer, but I'm doing raffles at the Club tonight and if I drink my powerful beer before drinking Coopers for a couple of hours, I'll be legless post haste. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Yep! But I'm gonna hang onto this doc - she's younger than me, so good prospects. 

The bugger is, got the news and now tonguing for a beer, but I'm doing raffles at the Club tonight and if I drink my powerful beer before drinking Coopers for a couple of hours, I'll be legless post haste. 😄

@Journeyman  Any health issue can be a problem for anyone, I trust you will continue to enjoy good health. I hardly go to the Pub these days although I have one in walking distance across the road & another just down a bit, I am totally convinced my home brews are stronger than the pub but then I don't have to drive anywhere either as most of my mates end up here at what they call "Phil's Bar & Grill". That's OK & why not but so far I have maintained good health & I am thankful for it as well as being a bit lucky I guess given my age.

So all we can do is eat as well as we can, don't smoke & drink in moderation. 🤣 🥳 🎉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Any health issue can be a problem for anyone, I trust you will continue to enjoy good health

With the symptoms I was experiencing, I was fairly sure I had beer-related issues. Mind you I have had similar cases years back where I had symptoms and checking them revealed nothing in the obvious causes. It came down to stress - my body kept throwing up reasons for me to get out of the stress. Eventually I did and all the symptoms went away.

I was surprised my latest results show an improvement in everything except my weight. And I wasn't in any danger areas a couple of years back when I had the last round of tests. 😄

The bad news is, the symptoms have allowed me to get a bit slack in doing stuff - now I have no excuse and will have to get into doing all that backlogged work. The good news is I have no issues having a beer or 4 afterwards. 😄

50 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

If a doctor tells you give up up the beer, get a second opinion. 🤣🤣

I have mates younger than me that have been told to cut down/lay off/stop drinking for various reasons, the poor souls just really don't get it - we all like a drink but I think it is all about balance, a healthy lifestyle, exercise, diet etc & then you can enjoy beer/wine etc. The average aussie male would go straight to the pub after work & stay there until he is told to go home, there are exceptions of course, but my point is if you want to enjoy a good session make sure you balance it all out & you shouldn't have too many problems.

I am not a doctor I am single. 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

With the symptoms I was experiencing, I was fairly sure I had beer-related issues. Mind you I have had similar cases years back where I had symptoms and checking them revealed nothing in the obvious causes. It came down to stress - my body kept throwing up reasons for me to get out of the stress. Eventually I did and all the symptoms went away.

I was surprised my latest results show an improvement in everything except my weight. And I wasn't in any danger areas a couple of years back when I had the last round of tests. 😄

The bad news is, the symptoms have allowed me to get a bit slack in doing stuff - now I have no excuse and will have to get into doing all that backlogged work. The good news is I have no issues having a beer or 4 afterwards. 😄

All good, I am a bit fortunate these days as I retired am I am single, I enjoy a good social mix of mates, some of the fairer sex & generally enjoy life but I must have been kissed by a fairy as I haven't had any health issues to date.

Cheers

21 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Had a few health worries recently, enough to curtail drinking and thus, making brews (cos I can only fit so many kegs in the fridge) and have completed a respectable amount of tests and scans. Latest bloods brought a series of 'excellent' and even a 'brilliant' for all my levels. Live and kidneys both better (significantly) than 2 - 3 years back, (last full bloods) and even cholesterol is down. Weight is up but diabetes markers are down.

So, even with about 18 months of drinking pretty much every night, things have improved. Chasing other possibles for issues but beer ain't one of them. YAAAAY!

It's just an opinion but I think the reason is I am drinking home brew - I'm almost certain if I had moved to drinking this much megaswill I'd have the doctor raginga bout my drinking. Instead she said, "looks like the beer is working for you - now lose some weight!" 😄

Which I am moving towards using dry enzyme to reduce sugars in the beer and even filtering to clear out other solids. 

So... the moral is, unless there is clear evidence the beer is doing harm, (liver or kidney damage) don't let the Doc convince you it is the thing responsible for issues. Look into other aspects of your life. e.g. carbs from grains, too much other sugars etc.

My doctor told me that beer won't give you liver problems unless you drink excessive amounts.

It's the spirits that do the damage.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

@Journeyman  Any health issue can be a problem for anyone, I trust you will continue to enjoy good health. I hardly go to the Pub these days although I have one in walking distance across the road & another just down a bit, I am totally convinced my home brews are stronger than the pub but then I don't have to drive anywhere either as most of my mates end up here at what they call "Phil's Bar & Grill". That's OK & why not but so far I have maintained good health & I am thankful for it as well as being a bit lucky I guess given my age.

So all we can do is eat as well as we can, don't smoke & drink in moderation. 🤣 🥳 🎉

I'm 77 and don't take any medication (don't mean to skite).  😉

I also stopped drinking at pubs and gave up smoking many years ago.

I'm part of the old school of workers who spent 2 hours in the pub after work.

At the Bowls Club now I don't enjoy any of their beer because it tastes like hopless water.

I can't wait to get home and drink my own beer.

There's a new craft brewery opened 200 yards from me that brews a nice drop, pricey though.

I've been pumping the brewer for his hops recipe. It's for a beer called "Larry". They named their beers after the owners.

They use Warrior, Simcoe, Mosaic and Amarillo. I'm brewing that on Sat. (minus the Warrior) following the Chubby Cherub recipe system.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I don't take any medication either, is this the beer you mean ? I know what you mean about the pub beers, for me, unless it's a Coopers Pale Ale or a Furphy or similar you can't taste anything.

Your_Mates_Larry__25481.1582524477.png?c=2

Yep. Hi Larry! 😃

38 minutes ago, jackgym said:

I'm 77 and don't take any medication (don't mean to skite)

I'm not big on meds either. Occasional pain killers for specific issues and not so long back, antibiotics for a bacterial infection. I've had lectures from doctors about my tendency to just ignore stuff - last time they threw me into hospital for emergency surgery and took out a 6 inch x 2 inch appendix. 😄 They supposed to be the size of your little finger. 😄 I only went to the doc because the 'grabbing' was interfering with some yard work I needed to do. 

The modern day thing of pills for this and that, then pills to fix what the first pills do etc. isn't something I ever picked up.

I don't mind Coopers - wasn't able to drink Furphy when they brought it out but Murray Bridge hasn't got a single craft tap - if I'd known that we might not have moved here. 😄 So that and the cost of beer in a pub is my raison d'etre for home brewing.

My 'try-to-clone' beer is Fixation, a beer from a brewery originally from Byron Bay that I had a few of in Bendigo years back. Between that and slightly varied XPA clones (I've done maybe 6 or 7 of each of them) I have my mainstay brews and fiddle around with others to learn more. But I was for real thinking I might have to give it up with some of the symptoms I was getting - nice to know none of them seem to be that serious. 😄

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I'm not big on meds either. Occasional pain killers for specific issues and not so long back, antibiotics for a bacterial infection. I've had lectures from doctors about my tendency to just ignore stuff - last time they threw me into hospital for emergency surgery and took out a 6 inch x 2 inch appendix. 😄 They supposed to be the size of your little finger. 😄 I only went to the doc because the 'grabbing' was interfering with some yard work I needed to do. 

The modern day thing of pills for this and that, then pills to fix what the first pills do etc. isn't something I ever picked up.

I don't mind Coopers - wasn't able to drink Furphy when they brought it out but Murray Bridge hasn't got a single craft tap - if I'd known that we might not have moved here. 😄 So that and the cost of beer in a pub is my raison d'etre for home brewing.

My 'try-to-clone' beer is Fixation, a beer from a brewery originally from Byron Bay that I had a few of in Bendigo years back. Between that and slightly varied XPA clones (I've done maybe 6 or 7 of each of them) I have my mainstay brews and fiddle around with others to learn more. But I was for real thinking I might have to give it up with some of the symptoms I was getting - nice to know none of them seem to be that serious. 😄

@Journeyman I can't believe Murray Bridge has got any craft taps in this day & age although the Pretoria at Mannum may have. Maybe the new Hotel complex may put some in but I can imagine the price ! There would be an opening for someone if they opened up there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Maybe the new Hotel complex may put some in but I can imagine the price

Last time I checked bottlo prices they had craft cans at around $9 - $10 per can. And I am not a can fan anyway and certainly not at those prices.

10 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Last time I checked bottlo prices they had craft cans at around $9 - $10 per can. And I am not a can fan anyway and certainly not at those prices.

Yeah cans have to be poured straight into the glass, I would rather start with a glass bottle as you may choose to drink it out of there as well.

Some of the craft brews in the huge range at the Highway Hotel are $20.00 each. That's Bull.....

There are a couple of others who discount craft beers, The Maid of Auckland, Liquor Land Kurrulta Park etc which is a bonus from time to time.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I've been a kit/kilo brewer for a few years but doing my first extract on Sat.

You and Shamus have given me good advice on this.

Besides, the cost of craft beer is approaching extortion.

And trying to clone a beer isn't very successful with kits.

If I can put out a good beer I'll stick with it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Yeah cans have to be poured straight into the glass, I would rather start with a glass bottle as you may choose to drink it out of there as well.

Some of the craft brews in the huge range at the Highway Hotel are $20.00 each. That's Bull.....

There are a couple of others who discount craft beers, The Maid of Auckland, Liquor Land Kurrulta Park etc which is a bonus from time to time.

To put it mildly, it's extortion.

• Like 1

i need to stop you all here   when you all say you dont take drugs , i say ya all liars

well ya see   hops are very closely related to  marrajawannah, so there fore you are all drinking  hops in your beer
so we must  getting our drugs through that

After all  some hops have very good medicinal purpurses in life

we may not smoke hops but we do inhale to our bladders

• Haha 1