Coopers Community

Setting up a Mongolian burner

Marty_G

Hi brains trust. I know there are some really knowledgeable  guys on here and I hope someone can give me a hand with what I need to set this set up to a BBQ low pressure LPG regulator hose.  It is a Mongolian 32 jet burner I have bought to replace the current burner I use for my boil kettle.    When I do a google search my head starts  spinning as there are so many fitting and all in BSP and SAE threads.   The image of the pipe work has: 1' pipe to 3/4' pipe adapter then a 20 mm union with 200mm pipe and a 20mm to 15mm on the end. Which I believe is 1/2" pipe to 3/8" pipe.   Is there anyone out there with some knowledge that can give me the right jargon to go and get what I am after and where to buy it.   Cheers.   A very confused Marty.    20210326_073132.thumb.jpg.b641927bc31f027abcc28719dc09c08a.jpg

20210326_073118.jpg

For a start, your conversions are incorrect. An inch is 25.4mm so a 20mm is 4/5ths not 1/2 inch. Not sure about gas pipe but in PVC the usual 2/4 equivalent is 19mm. 1/2 inch is 12mm.

I'd have thought you could take the pipe into a plumbing shop or Bunnings/Reeces (if they do gas fitting) and get the right sizes.

50 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Hi brains trust. I know there are some really knowledgeable  guys on here and I hope someone can give me a hand with what I need to set this set up to a BBQ low pressure LPG regulator hose.  It is a Mongolian 32 jet burner I have bought to replace the current burner I use for my boil kettle.    When I do a google search my head starts  spinning as there are so many fitting and all in BSP and SAE threads.   The image of the pipe work has: 1' pipe to 3/4' pipe adapter then a 20 mm union with 200mm pipe and a 20mm to 15mm on the end. Which I believe is 1/2" pipe to 3/8" pipe.   Is there anyone out there with some knowledge that can give me the right jargon to go and get what I am after and where to buy it.   Cheers.   A very confused Marty.    20210326_073132.thumb.jpg.b641927bc31f027abcc28719dc09c08a.jpg

20210326_073118.jpg

You may as well aske me how to fly a spaceship to Mars, being a mug salesman my knowledge of mechanical/plumbing etc is limited. 

I am sure someone will help you. 🤔

38 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Is there anyone out there with some knowledge that can give me the right jargon to go and get what I am after and where to buy it

I agree the range of these fittings can be overwhelming.

I have found that taking the piece, the complete pipe section an the regulator in this case, to Bunnings/Reece as Journeyman has suggested. In Bunnings you can search the plumbing section in the loose fittings area where you can try them as they are not carded.

If this burner has been made predominantly for the USA market the threads could be NPT (National Pipe Thread).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

For a start, your conversions are incorrect. An inch is 25.4mm so a 20mm is 4/5ths not 1/2 inch. Not sure about gas pipe but in PVC the usual 2/4 equivalent is 19mm. 1/2 inch is 12mm.

I'd have thought you could take the pipe into a plumbing shop or Bunnings/Reeces (if they do gas fitting) and get the right sizes.

No, that is not how imperial pipe threads run that is why it is so confusing. The external diameter of a 3/8 pipe thread is 15mm or close to it. They run on a nominal bore size.  Have a bit of a search and you will get what I mean as they don't all go on external diameter the way metric pipes do.   It is not like a 3/8" bolt the diameter of a 3/8" bolt is 3/8".   It is really confusing. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pickles Jones said:

What a great source of heat for a big crab cooker.🙂

No it is way too strong. I have a ~50cm high x ~50cm diameter pot and the flames fly up the sides of it.  To use it I would have to manufacture some sort of chimney to direct the flames and i just don't have enough height. Those flames were about a metre high if not higher. It is not fit for this purpose that is for sure.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1