Coopers Community

Changing up kit yeasts

John E Miller

I brewed a MJ Dubbel a few months ago. Last week I snatched up two more of the kits at my LHBS that were going for $6. Each pouch makes 10L at 7.8% following the recipe (with 500g dextrose).

I am thinking of using different yeasts to get a completely different beer so I can compare. 

Can anybody give me suggestions?

What sort of grainbill would be similar to that of a Belgian Dubbel? I'm thinking of doing some sort of British dark ale... I want to think outside the box.

Cheers 🙂

Edited by John E Miller

Just did a quick google and found this:

2.5kg Pilsener 
1.5kg Munich
450g Caramunich 1
120g Special B
60g Chocolate

Do roughly 50% pilsener malt, 30% Munich, maybe Vienna and 20% specialty malts.

If you want to head toward the British ales, S04 never goes astray in dark ales and of course there is always trusty old Nottingham. Notty is good for everything. Maybe Windsor for something different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Mate, that was 2 weeks ago. My memory isn’t that good but I’m sure I looked for a dubbel recipe 😀

It's all about Brain Cells Old Chap 🤔 well for some of us anyway, reckon we have all killed off a few.

A mate of mine forgot to add his carb drops to his last brew & was disappointed as it was flat. 🤣

I know someone else who was happily involved in a few cold ones whilst brewing - & he forgot the yeast, I mean, come on !!

For all of that hard work we need to make sure we do it right. !!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experimenting with dried yeasts lately. Lallemand Abbaye produced a really good dubbel for me. I'm loving Verdant IPA yeast and I would also strongly recommend trying that with the Dubbel kit, for a different final beer 

For Belgian style, MJ M31 reminds me of Leffe, that should work well. M21, M41, M47 all potentially good, and T-58. Belle Saison even. 

M15 and S-33 are English yeasts that work well in brown beers, but I like Verdant better.

• Like 1