Coopers Community

DIY SPIRITS OR WINE

Classic Brewing Co

9 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

That's why the Greek economy tanked.

Evading tax was a national past time.😉😉

I have known a few in my time, generally nice people but most of the blokes walk around with their life savings in their pocket & the wife walks behind. 😲

I love Greek food though a a few schooners of Mythos.

Stin ygeia sas

• Like 1

There was  a bloke who used to work at our place. Previously he'd had a job in customs and excise.

He told me about how they'd go and raid places in Western Sydney. Old Greek and Italian blokes brewing illegal stuff in their garages.
Mostly it was for their own use or for family. When I suggested that was bit heavy handed, he would say "no they're breaking the law".
This bloke was the cleanest cleanshirt I've ever come across. Personally I would have thought they'd have bigger fish to go after.

I had a still a long time ago. Maybe a bit over 20 years. I borrowed if off someone. I made some spirits but I didn't think they were that good.

Maybe a 6 or 7 years ago someone I knew had one. His stuff was quite good.

As for wine. I've come to the conclusion that for the time and effort you have to put it.
For the same standard of wine you might as well go and buy a semi decent cask wine. NOT the five litres for whatever on special. Banrock Station or similar.
I don't drink that much wine to worry about it these days. And hardly touch spirits either.

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Graculus said:

There was  a bloke who used to work at our place. Previously he'd had a job in customs and excise.

He told me about how they'd go and raid places in Western Sydney. Old Greek and Italian blokes brewing illegal stuff in their garages.
Mostly it was for their own use or for family. When I suggested that was bit heavy handed, he would say "no they're breaking the law".
This bloke was the cleanest cleanshirt I've ever come across. Personally I would have thought they'd have bigger fish to go after.

I had a still a long time ago. Maybe a bit over 20 years. I borrowed if off someone. I made some spirits but I didn't think they were that good.

Maybe a 6 or 7 years ago someone I knew had one. His stuff was quite good.

As for wine. I've come to the conclusion that for the time and effort you have to put it.
For the same standard of wine you might as well go and buy a semi decent cask wine. NOT the five litres for whatever on special. Banrock Station or similar.
I don't drink that much wine to worry about it these days. And hardly touch spirits either.

I was born in the Riverland SA & my parents were Fruit Growers mainly grapes & back in the late 50-60's they employed Greek immigrants to harvest the grapes. Obviously they had to provide accommodation ( an old house on the property ) & the same families came back year after year & eventually became family friends. In fact unbelievably one of the boys now 60 was on our Rabbit Shooting trip recently & the Mother was still alive aged 90. This would go down to their healthy eating habits & lifestyle.

As for making spirits & wine they were experts at it & right through my childhood/teen years I grew up with the smells ( and tastes ) of their wares.

Nobody cared then as all properties would have been the same. I agree with you home made spirits & wine tastes like homemade.

At least we can produce fine beers.

• Like 1