Coopers Community

why did you start (or re-start) homebrewing?

Stickers

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Only just bumped into this ripper thread all ye Brewers young and old and what a cracker it is!!!  I usually give a "like" to postings - here is a collective one 👍👍👍 as enjoyed all of the festive postings above with all the many and varied intros to brewing and many and varied stages that ye festive lot of Brewers are at.   What a great set of stories - Wow - am stoked.  And there are so many points above that I can relate to...  pure gold. 

Been a Coopers Product Fan for a very long time... mostly Sparkling and Stout...  Coopers = Australian - Real Reinheitsgebot pure Beer (Like Grand Ridge also) - Family owned - good 750ml bottles... Real Beer... so logical that their HB stuff ought to be good.  Have been fortunate to have lived in Europe and particularly in Germany for some time where I was able to experience good beer.  And also some good different stuff in the UK. 

So briefly - started brewing early 90s... been involved with science a bit in the past...  first beers just cos I could sneak them in... were brewed with double-distilled water in controlled temp rooms in the lab.  Basic KnK Coopers Lager - Real Ale - Stout... were great and cost-effective.  On and off then been doing it over the years.  THEN...  in late 2018 after a brewing layoff I got fired up again... 

And basically via some own research, talking to brewers, micros, LHBSs including CPB and reading (and I do recommend Palmer How to Brew as it is pretty useful) PLUS THIS AMAZING SITE and all of the festive and talented and experienced and helpful "Brewskis" (One definition of "Brewski" = Brewer that likes to make own good beer from good ingredients) -- some of whom talked the foreign language of All Grain -- I have managed to get to where my Brewing is at today...

image.thumb.png.e29475b45e2cc369a535a95b6e28f8fb.png

Not saying my beer is legendary by any means but I do know that trying to buy something -- that tastes anywhere near like it -- costs $100+ a carton and up to $15 a tallie - and so on many fronts this HB Caper is a beautiful thing.

I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to patch into this vast body of knowledge and help, and for that I am extremely grateful.  Thanks Brewskis one and all!!!

And I guess a small shout-out to some of the good folk who seem to have disappeared who really helped me along the way including @Beerlust @porschemad911 @Norris! @Worthog and @PB2 (PB now retired) - hope you are going well out there and be nice to see you back in posts 🙂

Good story @Graubart you really give it your all,  It is a fascinating  journey  & I seem to be inspired daily with all of the different opinions & stories offered by all of the fellow brewers oit there. Wouldn't be dead for quids !! Cheers Phil

• Like 4

I started my Home Brew journey back in the 90,s, bottling etc, but then gave it away.

‘Started gain 2.5 yrs ago, bought a 2 tap Kegerator & 3 kegs. 

‘As my journey wore on I purchased more 2nd hand kegs, re-kitted them etc, 2 x fridges/inkbirds for fermenting. 😂

‘Then I built my own 4 tap keezer on wheels so can move into my pool area 😂😂

Then I built a mobile esky on wheels for bbq,s that fits a 9L keg. 😂😂😂

Then I bought a Fermzilla. 😂😂😂😂

Still doing K & K, dry hopping etc, yet to take the jump to AG.

‘Total HB Inventory reads

1 x 2 tap kegerator

1 x 4 tap keezer 

1 x mobile esky 

2 x fermenting fridges plus inkbirds

7 x Fermenters

1 x Fermzilla 

14 Kegs, 12 x 19L, 2 x 9L

2 x boxes of spare parts, taps, o-rings etc

2 x 6kg CO2 Cylinders, 1 x 2.6kg Cylinder

ahh yes, the rabbit hole gets deeper & deeper, cheers brewers 🤣🤣

‘RD44🍻🍻

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Started many many years ago because it was cheaper.

Wifey got me back into it about 16 years ago, bought me a kit when we were struggling for money.
Now I do it cos I like to make my own stuff.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Green Blob said:

Started many many years ago because it was cheaper.

Wifey got me back into it about 16 years ago, bought me a kit when we were struggling for money.
Now I do it cos I like to make my own stuff.

I agree @Green Blob nothing more satisfying than cracking open or probably in your case pouring from the tap your own beer, especially when everything just works.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

I agree @Green Blob nothing more satisfying than cracking open or probably in your case pouring from the tap your own beer, especially when everything just works.

And when you can make just about any beer known to humankind as @Green Blob the Blob can, together with own festive Salumi, smoked tucker, home grown fruit and veg... well you wouldn't really need to spend the money on costly watery megaswill.  And I will say thanks to @Green Blob GB not only for AG brewing help but also very much so for helping me get into the pork curing Salumi game.  Thanks mate.  And thanks in general to all the Brewskis on the site... you know that even brewers that are not that experienced help you on the journey as they make you think about what you are doing... and having to explain something so someone else can understand it (am hoping most can understand my blither 😝) makes you understand yer trade better, as well as the general sociable discussion that goes on.  Cheers and Good Brewing All. 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 10

Started years ago at 18 to make cheap beer with a mate. No idea about sanitising, temp control etc. No patience resulting beers were terrible. 

Took it up again maybe 10 yrs ago, so much more info now with the internet. Kits n bits with temp control were pretty good. Went AG then got a few kegs. Enjoy the whole process and making fresh hoppy beers that are my own recipes. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Started a long time ago in early 20’s for cost reasons but faded out after a year or two. Fast forward 20 odd years to my father in law brewing coopers with white sugar at 25degrees and saying how good it was. After a few years of being polite  I thought I could show what decent home brew is with some grains, hops and lower temperature brewing. While I’m really happy with my brews, he wants to stick to his...

it also fits in with home roasting coffee, sourdough, making sausages etc. 

Edited by loafing_about
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, loafing_about said:

Started a long time ago in early 20’s for cost reasons but faded out after a year or two. Fast forward 20 odd years to my father in law brewing coopers with white sugar at 25degrees and saying how good it was. After a few years of being polite  I thought I could show what decent home brew is with some grains, hops and lower temperature brewing. While I’m really happy with my brews, he wants to stick to his...

it also fits in with home roasting coffee, sourdough, making sausages etc. 

I think we will always find people/family that stick to their Neanderthal methods, my brother is a real tight bottom & I call him a 'Supermarket Brewer'

He buys everything from BigW including the white sugar, he halves the amount of BE, thinks all yeasts are the same, never heard of temp control & produces swamp water.

I have a mate who is instructed by SWMBO to do all of that silly brewing stuff in the shed & his methods go against all logic compared to what we know these days & produces something he calls a Canadian Ale which to me tastes like a sweet sugary frothy going nowhere sort of drink.

They both think their brews are the best beer around & won't change. They have tried some of mine & reckon it's all right but a bit strong & has a funny taste - probably the hops & flavour.

• Haha 5

I originally started brewing around 2000 as my dad had been brewing coopers kit for as long as I could remember.  From that time up till around 2007 I basically brewed kits and bits with no hop additions.  All brews were just kit 'n' kilo's experimenting with different malt combinations both dry and liquid then temp control towards the end.  I remember the first time I tried to brew the old Coopers Bavarian lager and thought it had gone bad due to the sulphur smell so I dumped it down the sink. 

Started back up in 2014 brewing kits using the coopers recipes with hop & grains. First one I brewed was the golden ale (https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/golden-ale.html) and continued to experiment with the monthly recipes. From late 2016 I took the leap to BIAB and progressed to single vessel recirculation and growing hops for fun.  I still brew the odd kit and partial as there is some great recipes on the Coopers recipe bank that can produce cracking beers applying the PB2 beer triangle - fresh ingredients, temp control and thorough sanitation = Quality Beer 🍺

• Like 3

Firstly started back in 2006 or something to save money actually wasted alot more by not having a good set up and knowing what was doing. Tipping brews down drain because left heater belt on too long and beer got up over 32 degrees and tasted like crap. Melting and stretching heater belt because left on too long.  About 2009 started again briefly made some ok ones and some horrid.

Fast forward to early 2011 second new born baby new location inconsistent casual work slightly better beer. Kits and bits and tub of water with ice blocks for temp control in summer heat pad in winter. Still old fv with airlock and low tap I didn't clean enough few infections wasted more money. Never took gravity readings just counted down days and waited bubbling stop.

Reckon for brew fridge sometime 2014 or 15 but didn't have it long before was acquired for drinks got new coopers fv sometime in here and beer got better could see more of what going on and stopped my curiosity and didn't need to open lid etc 😅

Still had some tippers but was slowly getting better beers then after another 2 year gap from 2018 to September 2020 started again better than ever and into kegs phew life brew story over.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Still had some tippers but was slowly getting better beers then after another 2 year gap from 2018 to September 2020 started again better than ever and into kegs phew life brew story over.

Wonderful story JK - and what resilience in what I see as an arduous marathon journey in the face of adversity - I was very fortunate to have started ok with a good coach and with temp control from day one.... and very fortunately have had max 1-2 tippers in many many years (KnK brewed too hot and left too long to mature under old Queenslander no longer temp control at that stage).  Hopefully it stays that way 😬.  Honestly I am amazed you stuck with it @JamieK1 JK - mate you have done incredibly well to come this long way to be now brewing great beers. 👍

I wish you well and may you never have another tipper.

Cheers and Good and Great Brewing Mate.... and I wish the very same for all ye good Brewskis at whatever stage you may be on the Beautiful Brewing Journey 🙂

GGB

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its great reading some of the stories so far   in how we all got started to where we are at the moment

whether it was for the cheep beer  or whether you wanted to become an advance brewer in a working brewery.

I can remember going out to my uncles Place in Bridgewater to Visit my pop i would have only been like 14 at the time
and my uncle said to dad hey would you like a glass of my homebrew i have got ready.. he says its pretty good and will save him money...
My uncle is scroodge mcduck   ,  he will spend money  at all ya can eat place and will stuff him silly, thats his food consumption for the week part from cold backed beans
wont flush the toilet  as it uses to much water when he can walk to the public toilet and flush water to his hearts content as he is not paying for it
in bed by 5pm  as he doesnt want to turn on lights and his heater (lives in Tassie) as it cost to much

but his beer was shite nearly put me of alcahol lol   

Then there was my other uncle we called him uncle mc'cool his brew was better then uncle scrooge mcduck's    he would do everything he could to brew a good beer mind you at 14 i didnt have the knowledge and thought these 2 uncles where great they could make  beer.     uncle mc'cool  he had great  beer step in his rumpus with beer on tap  while uncle scroodge mcduck bottled his

the only other uncle on my dad side was uncle mc'drug dealer  becuase  my father disowned him once he seen  uncle mc'drug dealer give me my first smoke   and my first joint

but its just great how  we all just started  and where from

Thanks people for sharing this info and your journey as what i  just said just brought up memories of my uncles  in when i went to visit them... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@Graubart @MUZZY thanks guys the missus said when I restarted this time really? how long this time and how many will you tip out? I said I think I've learnt from all my previous mistakes and if anything it's more of a hobby than saving money. Now got the kegs and can brew the flavours I want

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

I said I think I've learnt from all my previous mistakes and if anything it's more of a hobby than saving money. Now got the kegs and can brew the flavours I want

And I think we all have to be honest me ol' Cobber JK @jamiek86 that we have learnt so much and are learning even more from each other and through the general discussion on this Forum 🙂

(Mmm but maybe you wanna keep that a secret from your SO otherwise she might say - whadddya sitting on that blllllllardy computer for so long Jamie haha!?!)

I for one would certainly not be as far down me BBJ (Beautiful Brewing Journey) had it not been for swags of good Brewskis on this site (and a few other sources books etc yeah too) who took the time to help me out and put up with my newbie nil grainer knowledge... Yeast Barons, Keg Kings, Hop Lords and Malted Grain Gurus 😋

Good Brewing All ye festive Brewskis!  ; )

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 6

@Graubart exactly right being on this forum definitely helped me get some good recepie ideas and advice about other things. I was reading stuff on here back in early 2011 and beyond but wasn't a poster. Learnt a whole lot from pb2 and even Otto and hairy all the way back then. Some bloke they  called yob the yeast snob and some bloke Bill. And now learning from people like yourself and others its all appreciated.

Unfortunately I was mainly only reading about recepies and how to partial mash etc. Alot of my tipped beers were from over doing crystal malt and was way to sweet for my taste now I dont use it. The other half was not taking hydrometer readings and not having the brew fridge and the dirty tap.

There were some good brews in there to make up for the tipped ones but that was when money was tight so hurt a bit more than if tipped one now. If I had to tip one now it would hurt my ego more than bank balance.

And I use my phone for the forum and the missus knows what I'm doing and just says more beer stuff? lol

Edited by jamiek86
  • Haha 3

@ozdevil good old Bridgewater uncles tassie in general. One of my uncles from Bridgewater said I needed to toughen up a bit learn how to be a proper kid. Sent me outside for day with 10 year older cousin. After making a sling shot and shooting things at park around corner and some people's houses a few complaints ended up at his front door. Next thing u know I had to be good kid again and got kick in ass literally. He never did let me stay over again 😂

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@ozdevil good old Bridgewater uncles tassie in general. One of my uncles from Bridgewater said I needed to toughen up a bit learn how to be a proper kid. Sent me outside for day with 10 year older cousin. After making a sling shot and shooting things at park around corner and some people's houses a few complaints ended up at his front door. Next thing u know I had to be good kid again and got kick in ass literally. He never did let me stay over again 😂

@jamiek86  not sure whether you remember the Amanda Carter  rape and killing.   well her body was found out side my uncles place  on the Banks of the Derwent river

Also every opening of trout season    you would find me underneath the Bridgewater bridge  chasing sea run trout