Coopers Community

TEMPERATURE CONTROL

Classic Brewing Co

Hi Guys,

I seem to be having issues with my KEGLAND Heat Belt which is hooked up with the  Mangrove Jack Dual Controller STC-1000 ( shown with the Instructions ) showing where to plug the heat & cooling sources.

The Dual Controller let me se the desired temp, the heat belt light goes on & upon checking a couple of hours later its off & the FV temp is going down.

I changed over the Power board & reset everything, same thing, heat light on & then after a while goes out.

Unless I am having an epic senior moment, I am certain that I have the plugs in the right place.

If not that would explain my predicament. 

Cheers

Phil

20210210_151245 (2).jpg

Phil,  Do the following tests.

Un-plug the heat belt from the controller and plug it directly into another power point, hold the heat belt in your hands and see if it starts to feel warm and gets hot.

If YES, then heat belt = OK.

Next, plug it back into your controller (correct side of course) and place your temp probe into a glass of water with ice cubes and take a note of the temp displayed (it should be in the low C range), this will tell you your temp probe is sensing the temperature properly.  This cold water will / should also trigger the controller to switch the heat belt on.  Again hold the heat belt in your hands to see if it gets warm and gets hot.

If YES, then check the delay settings on the controller.  You want it to only have about 0.3 C between your set temp and when the unit is either switching to heat or cool as necessary.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Thanks for your reply @iBooz2   I did plug it in the power in the kitchen & it didn't seem to get warm.

I will try the second test with the probe.

Cheers

Right,  it sounds like it is a faulty belt as the belt should get quite warm in the hands after about 30 seconds or so.  If not then you need to grab a multi-meter and test if it is open cct. or not.

UNPLUG IT FROM THE MAINS POWER AND CONTROLLER.

With a multi-meter set to the resistance (OHM) scale take a measurement from the active pin to the neutral pin on the 240 V plug with the probes.

You should get a reading of around 1600 ohms (1.5 K Ohms).  If it is way higher or in the meg ohm range or open (infinity ohm) then the belt is RS.

Just now saw your replies so file the above in the next time basket. 

Your fault could have been a bad connection between the 240 v AC plug and the socket in the controller.  Check to see if it feels nice a snug when pushing the AC plug prongs into the controller socket next time.  The contacts in the socket on the controller may have lost some of there spring and not contacting the prong on the plug properly.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Yeah the heat belt got quite hot quickly & it's been working for years in the same fridge, I will set it up again in the morning & try again.

The thing is mate, I don't even know what a multi-meter is - I am only a mug salesman. 

I do appreciate your input. Thanks.

its something a electrician would have but not a homebrewer

handy to identify faults with ,

17 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Right,  it sounds like it is a faulty belt as the belt should get quite warm in the hands after about 30 seconds or so.  If not then you need to grab a multi-meter and test if it is open cct. or not.

UNPLUG IT FROM THE MAINS POWER AND CONTROLLER.

With a multi-meter set to the resistance (OHM) scale take a measurement from the active pin to the neutral pin on the 240 V plug with the probes.

You should get a reading of around 1600 ohms (1.5 K Ohms).  If it is way higher or in the meg ohm range or open (infinity ohm) then the belt is RS.

Just now saw your replies so file the above in the next time basket. 

Your fault could have been a bad connection between the 240 v AC plug and the socket in the controller.  Check to see if it feels nice a snug when pushing the AC plug prongs into the controller socket next time.  The contacts in the socket on the controller may have lost some of there spring and not contacting the prong on the plug properly.

After Yesterdays episode with the Dual Heat Controller I decided to remove the FV from the fridge & put it in a cool spot in the office with the others.

It hasn't appeared to have done any harm as a fairly decent Krausen has developed at temp around 22dg which was nor far off my target.

I rang the manufacturer of the Heat Belt & they said the only real way to test is to do a dummy run with water in the FV in the fridge & see if it is working.

Has anyone heard that before ?

Hey @iBooz2  are you an electrician ? 🔌  I think you are right, I have replaced the power board for next time, so for now I have decided to ferment at ambient, the room dosen't vary much between 21-22 & it seems to be doing quite well. 

Cheers.

20210211_092923 (2).jpg

20210211_092635 (2).jpg

23 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey @iBooz2  are you an electrician ? 🔌 

No, not an electrician, although I had a restricted electrical license due to the work I was in.  I am a computer engineer / electronics engineer specializing in both analogue and digital hardware (or was - since retired early).  I had to do many courses in power design control and distribution including 3-phase power for generators, motors etc.

Multi-meters are a very handy tool and cheap.  They should be like front doors, every house should have one.

10 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

No, not an electrician, although I had a restricted electrical license due to the work I was in.  I am a computer engineer / electronics engineer specializing in both analogue and digital hardware (or was - since retired early).  I had to do many courses in power design control and distribution including 3-phase power for generators, motors etc.

Multi-meters are a very handy tool and cheap.  They should be like front doors, every house should have one.

Fair enough, the closest I like getting to electricity is the Clipsal Safety Switch if it gets thrown, other than that I stay away from it. 🚫

• Like 1