Jump to content
Coopers Community

Sludgebeast Clone


rugbrod
 Share

Recommended Posts

Looking for feedback on an extract + grains recipe that would be somewhat similar to Little Bang's Sludgebeast. I'm not very knowledgeable on specialty grains so any information is completely welcomed.

On the IanH spreadsheet for an 18L batch, I came up with an OG of 1.118 and FG of 1.033 giving it around 11.5% in the bottle.

Ingredients

1x Coopers Stout

1x Coopers Lager

1x Coopers Draught

1kg LDME

250g Lactose

250g Chocolate Malt

250g Caramalt

30g coffee beans

100g cacao nibs

2x vanilla beans

Yeast: Either London Ale, Nottingham, US-05 or Voss (suggestions encouraged...)

Method

Steep cracked grains overnight in fridge

Boil on stovetop and add lactose to dissolve

Add the 3 extract tins and the LDME to the FV and top to 18L with cold water, pitch yeast when appropriate

Add the coffee beans, cacao and vanilla beans in mesh bags (separately) and pull each when satisfied with flavour.

Edited by rugbrod
quick fingers...
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, rugbrod said:

Looking for feedback on an extract + grains recipe that would be somewhat similar to Little Bang's Sludgebeast. I'm not very knowledgeable on specialty grains so any information is completely welcomed.

On the IanH spreadsheet for an 18L batch, I came up with an OG of 1.118 and FG of 1.033 giving it around 11.5% in the bottle.

Ingredients

1x Coopers Stout

1x Coopers Lager

1x Coopers Draught

1kg LDME

250g Lactose

250g Chocolate Malt

250g Caramalt

30g coffee beans

100g cacao nibs

2x vanilla beans

Yeast: Either London Ale, Nottingham, US-05 or Voss (suggestions encouraged...)

Method

Steep cracked grains overnight in fridge

Boil on stovetop and add lactose to dissolve

Add the 3 extract tins and the LDME to the FV and top to 18L with cold water, pitch yeast when appropriate

Add the coffee beans, cacao and vanilla beans in mesh bags (separately) and pull each when satisfied with flavour.

Whether or not you get close to the Sludgebeast, that looks an excellent recipe anyway. Could even turn out better. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, rugbrod said:

Thanks for the kind words @Pale Man and @Hoppy81 !

The only thing I'm a bit unsure of is the yeast. I'm leaning towards pitching a whole packet of Voss for simplicity sake, because it's summer and temps are a bit high for my ambient to be at US05-friendly operation.

I'm not sure on the Voss, but if you go down the path of US-05 i'd be using at least two packs. Thats a lot of malt there.

I'd prefer the Nottingham personally. I've used Lalbrew last couple of brews and very happy with it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I put this one down this morning about 11am. By 1pm it was going very well, and now at 7pm it is well and truly cranking.

I pitched at about 40*C, and I've had it in a warm room with a doona around it to keep it at that. The fermentation heat has kept it at around 38-40. I can't entirely confirm as the 40 degree part of the sticker is just above the wort! Its definitely been at at least 38 though.

Ended up chucking the adjuncts in at around 4pm I think.

I will take a sample tomorrow morning and see how we're tracking with SG and taste. I feel like I'm getting some orange esters developing which wasn't my plan, but we will see what happens!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, rugbrod said:

So I put this one down this morning about 11am. By 1pm it was going very well, and now at 7pm it is well and truly cranking.

I pitched at about 40*C, and I've had it in a warm room with a doona around it to keep it at that. The fermentation heat has kept it at around 38-40. I can't entirely confirm as the 40 degree part of the sticker is just above the wort! Its definitely been at at least 38 though.

Ended up chucking the adjuncts in at around 4pm I think.

I will take a sample tomorrow morning and see how we're tracking with SG and taste. I feel like I'm getting some orange esters developing which wasn't my plan, but we will see what happens!

did you go with the voss then? never used it but good luck will have that much alcohol in it im sure u won't notice

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

did you go with the voss then? never used it but good luck will have that much alcohol in it im sure u won't notice

Yeah, totally forgot to say it was with Voss!

I already had a good deal of success with Voss in my last three batches (which I did all at the same time) so I was pretty confident in this one. All of them fermented out in 4 days. I made sure I did them on a run of hot 30+ days (as I am doing with this one too), the only leg work I did with those ones was keep the room warm by letting the sun in. The fermenters were all covered with towels so there was no worry about sun exposure etc. They all sat around 30*C compared to the higher temp I'm going with this time.

I did a mixed bag but they all turned out great:

- Kingsley's Ginger Beer

- Stone & Wood clone

- Sabro Single Hop Hazy Pale

Edited by rugbrod
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, rugbrod said:

Bottled this up after 5 days in the fv.

OG 1.114

FG 1.038

ABV ~10%

Gravity readings have been tasting unreal. So keen to try this after a few weeks and then leave the rest for a good stint in the cupboard. Cheers!

did you only use one pack of voss or 2?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

did you only use one pack of voss or 2?

Just the one.

8 hours ago, Green Blob said:

$10 says it's not done at 1.038

I hope you're not right, but there was lactose amongst the adjuncts bumping that SG up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...