Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

@Classic Brewing Co nowadays I'm a network engineer, but I've done all sorts of sh#t over the years - 5 years in the army, delivering stuff around Paris on a scooter, working in an Irish pub, stripping asbestos...man's gotta work

@iBooz2 probably drink as much as 007 but the similarity ends there 😂

I know nossink. 

• Haha 1

Speaking of pie carts, the best one I've ever come across is in Lismore NSW and whenever I'm in town I walk right past three Indian restaurants to get there, which is amazing for me. 

When no lockdown, served on a proper plate with knife and fork. There's a pie under there somewhere.

lismore pie cart 2.jpg

lismore pie cart.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bribie G said:

Speaking of pie carts, the best one I've ever come across is in Lismore NSW and whenever I'm in town I walk right past three Indian restaurants to get there, which is amazing for me. 

When no lockdown, served on a proper plate with knife and fork. There's a pie under there somewhere.

Yes I imagine they have bobbed up everywhere now, all with their own twist to the recipe.

• Like 1

Been there since 1954. It used to travel around but parked in front of the old post office sometime in the 1960s and hasn't moved since!  One of the last of the hold outs. As opposed to Harry's Cafe de Wheels which I think has turned into some sort of franchise.

pie cart.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 9:01 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

You have possibly heard of the famous SA Pie Floater - it was a meat pie served upside down covered with thick pea soup.

There were "Pie Carts"  ( an old railway carriage  )in the City, one of the most famous used to park outside the Adelaide Railway Station all night.

After a session it was customary to sit & have a Pie Floater, there were many variations & Tomato Sauce was optional.

I remember many a night 3 sheets to the wind & knocking off a couple of them, talking of wind ... 😷  you could clear a bus in no time.

pie-floater.jpg?mtime=20190818213746

Side Note: I just realised that guy looks like he bites his fingernails, yuk, it is not me, it's pinched off the internet. 😬

On 9/4/2021 at 9:55 AM, iBooz2 said:

Or you can brush/wash the base of the pie pastry with whisked egg white, then refrigerate for 1/2 hour or so before filling and that stops the base going soggy.

I do something similar: I pre-baked the empty pie shell first a little bit and then brush it while hot with egg white, which immediately cooks it. This usually provides a crisp crust, but it didn't when I tried making a quiche with an EVOO crust. The only reason I can think of to explain it is the natural mono- and diglycerides (emulsifiers which bond water and fat together) in EVOO, which other oils lack.  I don't know for sure though, could have been something else....FWIW I have made quiches using canola oil crusts and they were not soggy. 🤫

Interesting that you use the egg white on the raw pie crust. I have not tried it that way. I may give it a go, since it is less work than pre-baking the shell. Thanks for the tip. 👍

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Interesting that you use the egg white on the raw pie crust. I have not tried it that way. I may give it a go, since it is less work than pre-baking the shell. Thanks for the tip. 👍

No problem Christina,  my younger brother used to work for a small town country bakery which had a massive reputation for its meat pies and that's the way that bakery used to do it, to stop soggy bases.  So the technique sort of got passed (or should I say brushed) on to me when I made mine.

Yep give it a try and see how it goes.  Unsure if green tomato pie will be the same but I am sure the baker's chemistry idea is surely there.

Green tomato stuff is not very big over here but from reading up on it is very popular in the states and of course Canada.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

BTW @ChristinaS1 you asked quite a while back what a yabby was.

Here is an article that may help explain our Aussie inland lobster

I've got two pet yabbies in a fish tank, the wife makes me keep our fishing bait from our fishing trips if we have any left over. I've caught lots of Yellow belly's using these and Murray Cod as well. And finally they are awesome to eat - well in my opinion. Steamed, BBQ'd, or boiled. 

• Like 1

Hey fellas, just read this thread from the beginning, and see I was missing out. Will start following it now.

Just thought I would share pics of some free form kielbasa sausages I made.  Not owning a meat grinder or sausage stuffer, they don't look as nice as @disgruntled Bratwurst, but they still tasted good to me.

While I love pork sausages they don't agree with me so these are a combo of ground beef and chicken, and pork fatback, which was just chopped with a chef's knife. If I could eat store bought sausages I probably would never tried making them, but I am glad I did. I was amazed that 24 hours of salting made them not fall apart.

IMG_20210607_142135195.thumb.jpg.0d3e8ba627f5ad4351c850609f9371d2.jpg

IMG_20210607_150111266.jpg

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hey fellas, just read this thread from the beginning, and see I was missing out. Will start following it now.

Just thought I would share pics of some free form kielbasa sausages I made.  Not owning a meat grinder or sausage stuffer, they don't look as nice as @disgruntled Bratwurst, but they still tasted good to me.

While I love pork sausages they don't agree with me so these are a combo of ground beef and chicken, and pork fatback, which was just chopped with a chef's knife. If I could eat store bought sausages I probably would never tried making them, but I am glad I did. I was amazed that 24 hours of salting made them not fall apart.

Hi Christina,

They look good, anything homemade always is, I love all types of sausages, particularly spicy & full of flavour, most bought types to me seem to contain too much fat, for that reason I usually bake them in the oven at 180c on a tray lined with baking paper. I find any they taste cleaner & less mess !! 

I was a cook in the Army & like quite a few on this forum have continued to be very active in the kitchen, even the great outdoors with BBQ's, Weber, Fire Pit etc, any chance to cook & eat outside & I go for it. 

I figure we probably eat as much as we drink so why not enjoy it.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

I've got two pet yabbies in a fish tank, the wife makes me keep our fishing bait from our fishing trips if we have any left over. I've caught lots of Yellow belly's using these and Murray Cod as well. And finally they are awesome to eat - well in my opinion. Steamed, BBQ'd, or boiled. 

Ya not wrong there Mick, yabbies of all sizes are the best bait ever and I would kill for a good feed of yabbies.  Come on summer time !

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I would kill for a good feed of yabbies.  Come on summer time !

I concur, I could eat Yabbies all day everyday Steamed, Crumbed, Fried, Stir Fry etc ....

They are a luxury when you live in the city, when I was a kid we caught them in the river as big as beer bottles,  Riverland SA 

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

PIES - all types, who doesn't like a pie ? 🥧

I went to my local Coles shopping this morning, K-mart is next door & I ended up with a Pie Maker 50% off.

OK, I like pies & I am sure others do & of course we have all made them , every way you can savoury/quiche/sweet etc but tomorrow is Pie Day. The best way is to use Shortcut pastry for the base & Puff pastry for the top, apart from cutting out the pie shapes & preparing the fillings, this bad boy takes all of the stress out of it, you have to brush an egg wash over them before baking but Mama what a result. This photo was pinched of course but if anyone uses one, jump on board as I intend to make Beef & Guinness, Oyster, Seafood, Apple & a whole lot of others.

By the way you can pay big bucks for brand name models but this one is from K-mart reduced from $30 to $15, how hard can it be ?

Yum

pie-maker-meat-pies-1.jpg

Pie Maker.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

PIES - all types, who doesn't like a pie ? 🥧

I went to my local Coles shopping this morning, K-mart is next door & I ended up with a Pie Maker 50% off.

OK, I like pies & I am sure others do & of course we have all made them , every way you can savoury/quiche/sweet etc but tomorrow is Pie Day. The best way is to use Shortcut pastry for the base & Puff pastry for the top, apart from cutting out the pie shapes & preparing the fillings, this bad boy takes all of the stress out of it, you have to brush an egg wash over them before baking but Mama what a result. This photo was pinched of course but if anyone uses one, jump on board as I intend to make Beef & Guinness, Oyster, Seafood, Apple & a whole lot of others.

By the way you can pay big bucks for brand name models but this one is from K-mart reduced from $30 to $15, how hard can it be ?

Yum

pie-maker-meat-pies-1.jpg

Pie Maker.jpg

This looks awesome mate and so easy too. 15 Bucks - what a bargain.

• Like 1