Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

25 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Not on the menu just yet; but condiments in the making. My neighbour gave me a 10l bucket full of chillies. I am processing them by splitting, then scraping out most of the seeds. I've already made 6 jars of pickled chillies: a vinegar base like pickled gherkins etc. Next I'll try a chilli pickle recipe with lots of mustard seeds in it. Then a chilli chutney recipe with tomato, sugar, onion and spices.

Excellent that's very good use of Chillies, I love them & your recipes sound good, I grow them I have a food dehydrator & dry them. They have many uses, I use them also in Beef Jerky.

The difference is I use the lot, seeds & all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Not on the menu just yet; but condiments in the making. My neighbour gave me a 10l bucket full of chillies. I am processing them by splitting, then scraping out most of the seeds. I've already made 6 jars of pickled chillies: a vinegar base like pickled gherkins etc. Next I'll try a chilli pickle recipe with lots of mustard seeds in it. Then a chilli chutney recipe with tomato, sugar, onion and spices. 

chillies.jpg

Wow, they look good Jenny! Hope you didn’t rub your nose or eyes when you were chopping them 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Perhaps I will leave the seeds and 'guts' in next time - certainly adds bulk. 

A lot of people think the seeds are the hottest part of the chilli, it is in fact the white flesh that house house the seeds.

I like hot & spicy but there are a lot of wuss's out there 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those lovely Double Yolkers again... Isle of Crete inspired omelette w fetta tommies and oregano... some black pepper and later a sprinkle of fresh thyme for the Lols and it's readily available.... served w salad... of course : )

image.thumb.png.44af34570e5793ebe73f51847439cc32.png

• Like 6

I don't have photos of mine but I did this recipe yesterday with a few improvisations. I didn't have pork or veal, just beef mince, I simmered the sauce for 2 hours versus David's 4 and I scaled the quantities down by half.
I've always made Bolognese sauce with garlic and herbs. I couldn't believe how flavoursome this was without them and using the few ingredients stipulated. If you have time to watch a pot for a few hours I definitely recommend giving this a try. Bellissimo!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Those lovely Double Yolkers again... Isle of Crete inspired omelette w fetta tommies and oregano... some black pepper and later a sprinkle of fresh thyme for the Lols and it's readily available.... served w salad... of course : )

Nice healthy Grubup again IP, nice & healthy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

image.thumb.png.44af34570e5793ebe73f51847439cc32.png

Nice and healthy mate! I read somewhere Cretan food is the healthiest of all. Lovely place for a holiday too 👍

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 11:57 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

A lot of people think the seeds are the hottest part of the chilli, it is in fact the white flesh that house house the seeds.

I like hot & spicy but there are a lot of wuss's out there 🤣

Finally somebody who doesn't tell the "the seeds are the hottest part" nonsense 🙂 It is indeed the membranes the seeds are attached to. The seeds themselves contain no capsaicin at all.

I like it hot but only when I can still taste things. Some people just pile on heat, which numbs your tastebuds. We want heat and flavour 🙂 

My favourite chilli is the humble Cayenne. Enough heat for most applications and great to make a nice hot sauce.  I usually grow all sorts but give most of them away. The super hots I only grow for bragging rights but I am stupid enough to actually eat one of them at least once 🙂 I even chomped down on a Carolina Reaper and have a video to prove it. Not something I want to do again any time soon. Holy hell that's a beast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Finally somebody who doesn't tell the "the seeds are the hottest part" nonsense 🙂 It is indeed the membranes the seeds are attached to. The seeds themselves contain no capsaicin at all.

I like it hot but only when I can still taste things. Some people just pile on heat, which numbs your tastebuds. We want heat and flavour 🙂 

My favourite chilli is the humble Cayenne. Enough heat for most applications and great to make a nice hot sauce.  I usually grow all sorts but give most of them away. The super hots I only grow for bragging rights but I am stupid enough to actually eat one of them at least once 🙂 I even chomped down on a Carolina Reaper and have a video to prove it. Not something I want to do again any time soon. Holy hell that's a beast.

Hey AK I am with you there, I have many varieties growing but only in small amounts, most in the ground, some in pots but the old Carolina Reaper will give you blisters, I use them regularly but I now have a technique that ensures I don't touch it, when I place one on the cutting board I get a large Chef's knife & just sliver of a few slices & chop it fine without touching it.

Even being extra careful the fumes will get you but hey, that's what chilli's are about. I always immediately wash my hands & don't wipe my eyes or touch my face but we all get caught in the end.

They bring an extra dimension to a lot of dishes, that is unless you are a wuss 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey AK I am with you there, I have many varieties growing but only in small amounts, most in the ground, some in pots but the old Carolina Reaper will give you blisters, I use them regularly but I now have a technique that ensures I don't touch it, when I place one on the cutting board I get a large Chef's knife & just sliver of a few slices & chop it fine without touching it.

Even being extra careful the fumes will get you but hey, that's what chilli's are about. I always immediately wash my hands & don't wipe my eyes or touch my face but we all get caught in the end.

They bring an extra dimension to a lot of dishes, that is unless you are a wuss 🤣

One of wifey's teacher colleagues and her hubby love it when I pass chillies on. They eat chock habs as snacks and slice Bhuts, Scorpions and Reapers on their sandwiches 😮 They are Samoan though 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

One of wifey's teacher colleagues and her hubby love it when I pass chillies on. They eat chock habs as snacks and slice Bhuts, Scorpions and Reapers on their sandwiches 😮 They are Samoan though 🙂 

Bring it on I say, I can stand the heat but we all know erring on the side of caution is always best. I have a couple of mates who share my love for the heat of the little buggers but mostly I am the one who walks on the hot coals.

They have a place in all cuisines. 🌶️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Some people just pile on heat, which numbs your tastebuds.

You should try OC spray. I am trained and the training was primary exposure - in my eyes, then an obstacle course.

I can still smell it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

best not going for a leak either in my (painful) experience. Just sayin'

• Like 1
  • Haha 4