Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

6 hours ago, stquinto said:

I once won a pie-eating competition at the Oz embassy in Paris. The prize was a tray of meat I had to get home on the underground/metro train, three sheets to the wind to boot

You have possibly heard of the famous SA Pie Floater - it was a meat pie served upside down covered with thick pea soup.

There were "Pie Carts"  ( an old railway carriage  )in the City, one of the most famous used to park outside the Adelaide Railway Station all night.

After a session it was customary to sit & have a Pie Floater, there were many variations & Tomato Sauce was optional.

I remember many a night 3 sheets to the wind & knocking off a couple of them, talking of wind ... 😷  you could clear a bus in no time.

pie-floater.jpg?mtime=20190818213746

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You have possibly heard of the famous SA Pie Floater - it was a meat pie served upside down covered with thick pea soup.

There were "Pie Carts"  ( an old railway carriage  )in the City, one of the most famous used to park outside the Adelaide Railway Station all night.

After a session it was customary to sit & have a Pie Floater, there were many variations & Tomato Sauce was optional.

I remember many a night 3 sheets to the wind & knocking off a couple of them, talking of wind ... 😷  you could clear a bus in no time.

pie-floater.jpg?mtime=20190818213746

Phil, that is priceless. Many a work trip to Adelaide (I'm a Mexican - Victorian) over the years back in the day I remember the pie vendor outside the Railway station. Always 3 sheets to the wind at around midnight. Delish. Best thing ever. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

Phil, that is priceless. Many a work trip to Adelaide (I'm a Mexican - Victorian) over the years back in the day I remember the pie vendor outside the Railway station. Always 3 sheets to the wind at around midnight. Delish. Best thing ever. 

Yep, Cowley's Pie Cart was outside the Railway Station & Morton' s was at the General Post Office, there were a few others scattered around the suburbs & I came across on in Mount Gambier near the SA/VIC border years ago. Other Croweater's would have memories of these. The Councils of course closed them down in the end. 💩

The pie floater is a meat pie turned upside-down in a bowl of thick pea soup. It is traditionally served with tomato sauce, but other accompaniments are Worcestershire sauce or vinegar. It is believed that the origins of the pie floater lie in the English dishes of pea soup with eel, suet dumplings or saveloys. Dumplings in soup were known as 'floaters'. Pie floaters are eaten on the street, served from pie carts - caravans pulled into position around 7 o'clock in the evening dishing up pies and pasties, hot chips, doughnuts and other hot, and often greasy, foods to fill late night rumbling stomachs. The most famous pie cart and the longest-serving eating venue in South Australia stands outside the General Post Office in Franklin Street. Adelaide's first pie cart was established in 1871 and between 1915 and 1942 there were nine around the city.

znwsi11743840_20030528_049_crop.jpg
Floating a top idea in a revered recipe
View item details
Add To My SA Memory
znwsi11743840_20020916_011_crop.jpg
Slice of dining tradition wheeled on the market
View item details
Add To My SA Memory

B70050

Items 1 - 2 of 2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Thanks for sharing the pics Phil, brings back very fond memories. 

Bloody Councils!

Cheers, I have come across a lot of people over the years from 4 states in my travels & you would be surprised how many have visited & liked the famous Pie Cart's.  

Just for the record my favourite was a Potato Pie or a Curry Pie with the Peas, I still reckon they aided with the hangover. 😒

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers, I have come across a lot of people over the years from 4 states in my travels & you would be surprised how many have visited & liked the famous Pie Cart's.  

Just for the record my favourite was a Potato Pie or a Curry Pie with the Peas, I still reckon they aided with the hangover. 😒

Yeah, the curry pies - beautiful.  Everyone from Victoria who I worked and traveled with to SA at the time loved those pies with the peas - especially around midnight. 🤪🍺😉

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Yeah, the curry pies - beautiful.  Everyone from Victoria who I worked and traveled with to SA at the time loved those pies with the peas - especially around midnight. 🤪🍺😉

There were photos of Premiers, Media personalities even famous Actors & overseas visitors plastered all over the wall of the vans & some stage all getting stuck into a Pie Floater, all inebriated of course. 😁

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Mickep said:

Mate the pics of your feast look incredible. Seriously, what are the deep golden fries you've got going on there sitting with the steak? 

@Mickep triple cooked chips mate : first cut 'em quite thick (I went for the old 70s classic crinkle cut), rinse them under the tap for 5 minutes, then fill the pan with cold water, salt them generously, and bring to the boiI. I boil them for about 3 - 4 minutes. Then drain them, dry tham as much as possible, and fry them twice for 5 minutes each in oil around 170°. The best is beef dripping, but as I filter the oil after it wouldn't work for me.

It says in the recipe to do the first fry at 140° but I find that the oil gets cooled down too quickly. After they're cooked,  into a bowl with kitchen paper, and sprinkle with salt.

After the oil has cooled I pour it back into two wine bottles with a screw cap. I only lose a very small amount of oil, so it can't really be that unhealthy. Well, I try not to have them more than a cuppla times a month all the same, my body being a temple and all that 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@iBooz2 @Classic Brewing Co fellas, I've been in Switzerland since the end of 2007. Great place to be, plenty of work, can get all of the foodstuffs I post even though it's landlocked. Costs an arm and a leg, which is fine if you're working, but a different matter when you retire...

TBH, outside of work,  I do b#gger all other than brew (and drink) my beers, bake my bread, and cook up dinners. I just want to make sure my kids have a healthy attitude to grub and by Christ have I created some monsters in that departmenet 😉

Wish all of you fellas the best, most enjoyable to share in this stuff 👍

14 minutes ago, stquinto said:

@iBooz2 @Classic Brewing Co fellas, I've been in Switzerland since the end of 2007. Great place to be, plenty of work, can get all of the foodstuffs I post even though it's landlocked. Costs an arm and a leg, which is fine if you're working, but a different matter when you retire...

TBH, outside of work,  I do b#gger all other than brew (and drink) my beers, bake my bread, and cook up dinners. I just want to make sure my kids have a healthy attitude to grub and by Christ have I created some monsters in that departmenet 😉

Wish all of you fellas the best, most enjoyable to share in this stuff 👍

Cheers for that @stquinto   what do you do for a job or is that top secret, just wondering, otherwise all OK. 

Looks like a nice place to be, enjoy. 🍻

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers for that @stquinto   what do you do for a job or is that top secret, just wondering, otherwise all OK. 

Damn it Phil, you have buggered his cover.  He is actually a spy.  Did you not know that?

Now he has to relocate his family to Bolivia and hide.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

@Classic Brewing Co nowadays I'm a network engineer, but I've done all sorts of sh#t over the years - 5 years in the army, delivering stuff around Paris on a scooter, working in an Irish pub, stripping asbestos...man's gotta work

20 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Damn it Phil, you have buggered his cover.  He is actually a spy.  Did you not know that?

Now he has to relocate his family to Bolivia and hide.

@iBooz2 probably drink as much as 007 but the similarity ends there 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, stquinto said:

@Classic Brewing Co nowadays I'm a network engineer, but I've done all sorts of sh#t over the years - 5 years in the army, delivering stuff around Paris on a scooter, working in an Irish pub, stripping asbestos...man's gotta work

@iBooz2 probably drink as much as 007 but the similarity ends there 😂

... although recently on holiday I asked SWMBO if I reminded her on Daniel Craig as I emerged from the sea in budgie smugglers. It's cruel to be laughed at to your face with such gusto 😭

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, stquinto said:

... although recently on holiday I asked SWMBO if I reminded her on Daniel Craig as I emerged from the sea in budgie smugglers. It's cruel to be laughed at to your face with such gusto 😭

Did someone say "get a bigger budgie"  🐤 🤣

• Haha 2