Coopers Community

What's on the Menu

Classic Brewing Co

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Dunno if any of you are into oysters but these were pretty damned good

Then a paella

I did have white wine with the oysters, not red 😳 but some say they go well with Guinness

Awesome @stquinto  Life in the Fast Lane !!  I could eat Seafood all day especially Oysters/Prawns/Mussels. Paella is a Classic dish.

Looks like the 2012 Grand Cru was a good match, we would pay heaps for that in Australia 😂

Cheers

By the way, Oysters & Guinness will give you wings  😜

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 1:06 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Awesome @stquinto  Life in the Fast Lane !!  I could eat Seafood all day especially Oysters/Prawns/Mussels. Paella is a Classic dish.

Looks like the 2012 Grand Cru was a good match, we would pay heaps for that in Australia 😂

Cheers

By the way, Oysters & Guinness will give you wings  😜

On 8/24/2021 at 2:44 AM, Mickep said:

I'm with you Classic - especially oysters. Love love love seafood. 

@Classic Brewing Co @Mickep I must admit we did ourselves proud. One thing I've learnt from the past year with lockdowns / no lockdowns / no travel / no pubs etc. is if you get a chance, take it before they move the goalposts, so we went off to Nice in the South ofr France for a weekend.

Just coming to the end of summer here and you fellas will be heading into the decent weather. Hope you can all appreciate it amongst all of your lockdowns.  I'm planning a last seek-and-destroy weekend with a mate back in Nice at the end of the month - we'll be seeing those oysters again 😉

My liver's doing press-ups at the thought of all of the beatings it's gonna take 😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Looks very refreshing and tasty.

It is PM - it helps that SWMBO is from Thailand. Like dining out in a Thai restaurant every night of the week.😃 It's HAF though. Full of small red chillies, with lime, fish sauce, shallots and garlic. It's a little ripper. You gotta like the heat though - I'm used to it now. 😂

• Like 3

On 8/29/2021 at 9:59 PM, stquinto said:

Do you use yeast of sourdough ?

Hey there @stquinto The Saint... yeah just dry yeast for the time-being... haven't really got me shittttt together on the Sourdough starters tho I do have something alive in the fridge I need to work on...  dry yeast does make life easy 👍... and with a slow overnight ferment and then firing in a hot 'dutch oven' you can achieve some great results... got one going overnight tonight and have included some Rye Chops and whole Rye Grain as well as the Sunflower Seeds so will see how that goes... 🙂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mickep said:

It is PM - it helps that SWMBO is from Thailand. Like dining out in a Thai restaurant every night of the week.😃 

You're are a lucky bugger Mick.  I have to cook all the meals at my joint.   Looks YUM.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

You're are a lucky bugger Mick.  I have to cook all the meals at my joint.   Looks YUM.

I am Al, I know that.  Last night's dinner -  Crispy Fried Barra tail with a chilli, garlic, fish sauce, lime, brown sugar glaze. It was Bloody hot but beeeaaautiful. 

Crispy Barra with Chilli.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/1/2021 at 4:25 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Al,

I cook all mine too but then I like it that way 😜  I love cooking anyway in fact I think about what I am going to have for dinner in the morning. Some people just cook to live - I live to cook 🤔

Cheers

On 8/31/2021 at 10:44 AM, iBooz2 said:

@Classic Brewing Co @iBooz2 You and me both fellas. It's my way of "unwinding" after a hard day surfing the forum (I meant working had). Obviously with a glass of "Daddy's little helper" (HB to the rest of us). That's why a holiday for me is not cooking. But even then, depending on where I go, I'd rather make my own stuff than have mediocre crap. Can't remember the lasrt time I had a steak in a restaurant: prefer my own, can afford a much better bottle of wine and no grief getting home. Or in my case, climbing up the stairs from the bunker ...

• Haha 1

In another thread I mentioned that here in Canada it is tomato season and I was making green tomato pie and @disgruntled said he would like to see a picture, so here it is:

Many recipes say to cut the tomatoes in 1/4" slices, which is what I did here, but I had a hard time getting them to become tender. Then I read a recipe that said to cut them 1/8" thick using a mandoline, which I did the second time around, and that was much better. It still took 70 minutes at 350F though.

Many recipes call for 1-1//2 cups of sugar, but I use 2/3 cup and find that plenty.

For the carnivores out there: I saw one recipe which called for adding 2 slices of crispy fried bacon to the filling, which I was very tempted to try, but my partner did not want me too.  In the past I have made it using a combo of apples and green tomatoes, and that is pretty darn good too. 

Cheers,

Christina.

IMG_20210825_203612363.jpg

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

Looks good, does it come out sweet or does the sugar balance the tartness from the tomato?

With 2/3 cups of sugar it tastes balanced. I can enjoy it without feeling the need to add ice cream, but I also had 50g each of raisins and dried cranberries, which are also sweet, but there is also some lemon juice, which is tart. 

I have not tried making the pie with more sugar, but I suspect that 1-1/2 cups of sugar would be quite sweet. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

In another thread I mentioned that here in Canada it is tomato season and I was making green tomato pie and @disgruntled said he would like to see a picture, so here it is:

Many recipes say to cut the tomatoes in 1/4" slices, which is what I did here, but I had a hard time getting them to become tender. Then I read a recipe that said to cut them 1/8" thick using a mandoline, which I did the second time around, and that was much better. It still took 70 minutes at 350F though.

Many recipes call for 1-1//2 cups of sugar, but I use 2/3 cup and find that plenty.

For the carnivores out there: I saw one recipe which called for adding 2 slices of crispy fried bacon to the filling, which I was very tempted to try, but my partner did not want me too.  In the past I have made it using a combo of apples and green tomatoes, and that is pretty darn good too. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Looks very nie @ChristinaS1I would probably would have liked bacon also as I am fond of savoury pies/quiche etc.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I just learned to make pie crust last year, at the age of 61. Better late than never, eh? I do it the fastest, easiest way possible: with milk and oil. Now I make pies and quiches on a regular basis. Unlike dough made with butter, the ingredients don't have to be cold, nor does it need to be rested in the fridge, or spanked. It takes no planning, and is not fussy. 

There is a myth out there that oil crusts are not flaky, which is absolutely untrue. And if you use milk instead of water the flavour is not far off that of butter.

If, like me, you thought making pie crust was hard, try making an oil crust. 

Cheers,

Christina.

PS You can use any oil you like except don't use extra virgin olive oil if the filling is wet (ie., quiche), or you will end up with a soggy crust....My favourite is peanut oil, which has a lovely rich taste. Personally, I am not a fan of canola oil. 

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

PS You can use any oil you like except don't use extra virgin olive oil if the filling is wet (ie., quiche), or you will end up with a soggy crust....My favourite is peanut oil, which has a lovely rich taste. Personally, I am not a fan of canola oil. 

Or you can brush/wash the base of the pie pastry with whisked egg white, then refrigerate for 1/2 hour or so before filling and that stops the base going soggy.

Good quality peanut oil is a big staple in my kitchen due to lots of Asian style stir fry's etc. as it does not burn as easily as the other oils.

👍

• Like 3