Coopers Community

FAVOURITE OUTBACK PUBS

Classic Brewing Co

57 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Forgot to put up a pic of the pub where this big South to North Australia pub crawl started.  The German Arms Hotel in Hahndorf SA.

Hey Al great shots & memories but the pub down the road has the best meals.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6c74f9450f4cc7d2JmltdHM9MTY2MTg1MzUyMiZpZ3VpZD1jM2Q2NTg2OS0yOTdlLTRkYTQtODNiNC01MDBkMzliZmIwMjAmaW5zaWQ9NTQ2NQ&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=53cbac2a-284a-11ed-8eb8-b260a358e084&u=a1aHR0cDovL3d3dy5oYWhuZG9yZmlubi5jb20uYXUv&ntb=1

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah Phil, maybe, as we did not get to that one.  People are a bit spoilt for choice in Hahndorf, need a fortnight / month to suss out all the places.  Shots are just random phone shots.  We did not pull the good camera's out until we got up to Devil's Marbles NT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yeah Phil, maybe, as we did not get to that one.  People are a bit spoilt for choice in Hahndorf, need a fortnight / month to suss out all the places.  Shots are just random phone shots.  We did not pull the good camera's out until we got up to Devil's Marbles NT.

Doesn't matter mate, it sounds like you had a great time - at least you guy's got out there a did it. Australia is a beautiful place & is is a pity that too many just jump on a plane & go to some place because they can, I am not against travel but I reckon you should just check out your own backyard first.

Onya Al & partner. 🚙

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Doesn't matter mate, it sounds like you had a great time - at least you guy's got out there a did it. Australia is a beautiful place & is is a pity that too many just jump on a plane & go to some place because they can, I am not against travel but I reckon you should just check out your own backyard first.

Onya Al & partner. 🚙

Side note, you shoulda dropped in for a Pale Ale - you were only 28kms away. 🙁

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Onya Al & partner. 🚙

yes many want to see the rest of the world before there own,  and never get to see their own country.   plenty of things to see and do in our great southernland

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Devils Marbles Hotel.

There is a free camp right out front of this hotel and we stayed overnight there both on the way up the Stuart highway and also on the way back.  If you buy a meal at the pub you can use their showers etc.  We did not need to as we are self contained anyway but the meals and service were superb.   Apparently people drive all the way down from Tennant Creek just to have a pub meal here and I can see why.  Very impressed with their tucker.

A couple of photos of signs on the outback dunny walls in their beer garden.  Another sign said "Hippies are to go way around the back".

Devils Marbles Hotel 1 - resized.png

Devils Marbles Hotel 2 - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Then there is the Daly Waters Hotel.  The jewel in the crown for travelers up and down the Stuart highway.  Tim the owner is sitting on a gold mine here and he knows it.  The place is packed out and if you do not get there by 1 pm then sorry no room to camp.  Plus you have to book and pay for your Beef and Barra dinner by 3 pm otherwise it's baked beans on toast around a distant campfire.  Great floor show and band the night we stayed there. 

Plus there were a few floozies that had come down from Darwin all dressed up to the nines (or nearly dressed up read - partially clothed) to have a good time and create a bit of friendly jealousy with all the hubby's and wives that stayed until the end of the evening.  Very entertaining.  Yes I stayed out of trouble and stayed married.......

Daly Waters Hotel NT 1 - resized.png

Daly Waters Hotel NT 2 - resized.png

Daly Waters Hotel NT 3 - resized.png

Daly Waters Hotel NT 4 - resized.png

• Like 6

10 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

The road trip north continues,  8,000 km to go (there and back).

Good stuff Al great photos for great memories, I have been all through there & enjoyed every minute of it, nothing like the Outback to provide a daily adventure. Apart form the dust, heat, snakes, flies & Crocodiles - it's a paradise !! 🤠

• Like 1

I don't have a photo of the place and can't remember its name but last year, we went on a roundtrip through Outback Queensland and as you do, you go fossicking in the gem fields. Just to find the tiny gems they had mixed into the pile of sand beforehand I suppose 🙂 There was this pub in Sapphire, where they served XXXX Bitter and Gold with pride. When I spotted something semi crafty in a fridge, I picked one up and went to the checkout, where I was greeted by a nice lady with an astonished look on her face, asking her colleague, how much the "fancy beers" were 🙂 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

I don't have a photo of the place and can't remember its name but last year, we went on a roundtrip through Outback Queensland and as you do, you go fossicking in the gem fields. Just to find the tiny gems they had mixed into the pile of sand beforehand I suppose 🙂 There was this pub in Sapphire, where they served XXXX Bitter and Gold with pride. When I spotted something semi crafty in a fridge, I picked one up and went to the checkout, where I was greeted by a nice lady with an astonished look on her face, asking her colleague, how much the "fancy beers" were 🙂 

Similar things have happened to over the years, I pub I went to in Outback NSW & they had all the usual beers on tap, Melbourne Bitter, Toohey's, 4XXXX etc Oh & that other ghastly green one but they were displaying a Furphy's sign - of course I said have you got any & the lady said  " there is some out the back but we only keep that for the Yuppies, the locals won't drink it "

So I said Gee, maybe I might try one & the looks I got were priceless not to mention the barrage of vulgar opinions of it by the locals.

What do you do 🤔

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 9:30 PM, iBooz2 said:

We had always planned to have a crack at the famous Oodnadatta track but the weather had been very wet and the track from Maree to William Creek has just opened up to 4X4 and heavy vehicles so we took the chance.  We could see by the state of the dirt /mud road that a lot of people had gotten themselves into a lot of trouble and had to abort.  We got through to Coward Springs to camp at an old Ghan railway station and got to see lake Eyre south full to the brim.  Next day we made it through to the William Creek hotel but the road sign there said road from Oodnadatta to Marla was closed so we rang ahead to the Pink Roadhouse to find out that it was actually open.  So we pushed on and that night we camped out at what called the bent pole monument several km's north of Oodnadatta.  Its like being camped on the moon out here.

William Creek Hotel - Inside 1.png

William Creek Hotel Blurred Number Plate.jpg

About to tackle the Oodnadatta Track - resized.png

Pink Roadhouse Oodnadatta SA - resized.png

I’ve only just discovered this thread but what a great one it is.

I worked out at William Creek for a bit a long time ago and these photos bring back some very fond memories.

Cheers!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I’ve only just discovered this thread but what a great one it is.

I worked out at William Creek for a bit a long time ago and these photos bring back some very fond memories.

Cheers!

You cant beat an old Pub. Believe it or not a lot of them have morgs. I got shown around the Franklin at Cowell, and the Publican showed me the morg. It was very eerie. Those old buildings are very intriguing. 

• Like 4

Another favourite is the Animal Bar in Karumba FNQ. I spent a lot of time there whilst working in the region … because there’s not much else to do otherwise.

They featured it and the publican on Backroads on ABC a couple of years ago.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Another favourite is the Animal Bar in Karumba FNQ. I spent a lot of time there whilst working in the region … because there’s not much else to do otherwise.

They featured it and the publican on Backroads on ABC a couple of years ago.

Spent a week fishing there many years ago. Caught shedloads of threadfin salmon. Animal bar wasn't too bad. The other one on the gulf with the sunset view wasn't bad either but I remember a tad expensive with the meals. Beautiful part of the country albeit very remote.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Spent a week fishing there many years ago. Caught shedloads of threadfin salmon. Animal bar wasn't too bad. The other one on the gulf with the sunset view wasn't bad either but I remember a tad expensive with the meals. Beautiful part of the country albeit very remote.

Ahhh yes I remember the sunset pub. We went there once, but as we were living in the motel attached to the Animal Bar pub it made sense to hang out there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Pale Man said:

You cant beat an old Pub. Believe it or not a lot of them have morgs. I got shown around the Franklin at Cowell, and the Publican showed me the morg. It was very eerie. Those old buildings are very intriguing. 

Morgue you idiot.

• Haha 2