Coopers Community

FAVOURITE OUTBACK PUBS

Classic Brewing Co

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nice approach Al.  Looks like you did a donut into the car park with the van attached.

Nah not me Shamus.  I was parked over the other side of the road (in the foreground) when some hoon in Triton ute took off in a hurry.  I think he was a mine worker from Cobar ha ha.😁

Whoever it was left me a nice spot to pull in for a photo and then just had to partake in a cold beer before heading down stream to Wilcannia.

Its almost criminal to drive past an Aussie outback pub and not call in for a beer and a chat with the local regulars.🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Its almost criminal to drive past an Aussie outback pub and not call in for a beer and a chat with the local regulars.🍻

I totally agree @iBooz2  it is un-Australian to drive past a Pub in the Outback ( but then I had a motive - might be able to sell them some Stubby Coolers )

I used to take a photo of the Pub have a beer & go to the next one - although they are a bit spread out in that area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 1:45 PM, Barramullafella said:

My fav' pub in the outback would have to be Imperial Hotel at Ravenswood Qld. John & Di are excellent hosts and the resident ghost/s will keep ya entertained for all hours of the night.

image.png.40c43be43b2f8da67afd2e961bb61bfa.png

Great looking Pub, typical of that era, there are a few in other states with a similar appearance. Classic name too.

• Like 2

No pics, but some of the outback pubs I've visited while traipsing around on the motorbike have been the Silverton (got my certificate to prove it), the Mount Hope, the Tintaldra, the Jingellic, the Wakool and not sure if the Nelson in Nelson qualifies.

1 minute ago, xjjohnn0 said:

No pics, but some of the outback pubs I've visited while traipsing around on the motorbike have been the Silverton (got my certificate to prove it), the Mount Hope, the Tintaldra, the Jingellic, the Wakool and not sure if the Nelson in Nelson qualifies.

Mate I have my certificate as well, you know the drill, but I managed to work out when they wacked funnels down everyone's daks, I opened the zip enough for the water to run out on the floor, result perfectly dry, all of the other poor souls as hissed as they were ended up with wet daks.  🤣   Been to Mount Hope, Wakool & Nelson so with you, all good Pubs.

20210307_175059.jpg

• 2 months later...

How many old Outback Pubs like this will survive the continuing pressure of Lockdowns & restrictions ? Places like this were & still are to a point the source of my income for many years.

Sadly a lot of the pubs I have visited in the past were either forced to close or taken over & turned into a private residences or accommodation venues etc.

I realise city/suburban/rural centres  are suffering too but in the Outback the Pub is the Hub of the community (pardon the pun) Let's hope they all get through it.

U4054-article-images_GUIDE-outback-pubs_image-8.jpg

• Like 4

mountain Community pub in mitta mitta Vic stayed there night before a footy game very nice welcoming locals and bar staff. Great well priced food and even have a local brewed midstrength IPA but was a case of too sweet for me same as my EB too much crystal malt. Even let one of the locals bring the dog in who was happy to sit in the old chair in bar.

20210514_172629.jpg

20210514_210709.jpg

20210514_210855.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

mountain Community pub in mitta mitta Vic stayed there night before a footy game very nice welcoming locals and bar staff. Great well priced food and even have a local brewed midstrength IPA but was a case of too sweet for me same as my EB too much crystal malt. Even let one of the locals bring the dog in who was happy to sit in the old chair in bar.

20210514_172629.jpg

20210514_210709.jpg

20210514_210855.jpg

Good one, that's my type of Pub. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
34 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Wedding anniversary yesterday for Mr & Mrs Muzzy. We celebrated with lunch and a couple of schooners at Australia's southernmost hotel. You haven't lived until you've visited the NREVAT TROPHTUOS. 🤣

Southport, Tasmania.

Congratulations Muzzy, I hope you are enjoying yourselves, Tasmania is a wonderful place even though a little backward at times. 🤣     yrasrevinnA yppaH  !!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

@MUZZY being Tasmanian I remember being here before was legal age. A mate who had a holiday home there convinced his grandfathers mate to buy us a take away 6 pack of carlton cold.  Look forward to returning one day now I'm of legal age. my old school mate still has a holiday home here and Cray fishes

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

All this talk about travelling big distances on another thread got me thinking and calculating our recent trip up to Darwin and back.  We did just on 13,000 km in six weeks so rather than corrupt the what are you drinking thread, I thought it would good to post some outback pub pics here.  Basically it was a big pub crawl from Croydon VIC up through the outback NT so some pub pics are definitely the go.

First pub or pubs were in Hahndorf SA where we stayed a few days then on to the wineries in The Barossa Valley via the famous Lobethal Bierbaus but the damn place was closed that day so we missed out on a pub lunch at that one.  Anyway after the Barossa it was up into the Flinders Ranges and exploring all that had to offer.  The Prairie Hotel out at Parachina has all been done up and very hipster.  The food was terrific being all new menu and stuff.  It used to be called the "Road Kill" menu, goat kangaroo, camel and the like but not anymore.  Very flash for an outback pub / craft brewery.

Parachilna Pub Inside.png

Praire Hotel Parachilna SA - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6

We had always planned to have a crack at the famous Oodnadatta track but the weather had been very wet and the track from Maree to William Creek has just opened up to 4X4 and heavy vehicles so we took the chance.  We could see by the state of the dirt /mud road that a lot of people had gotten themselves into a lot of trouble and had to abort.  We got through to Coward Springs to camp at an old Ghan railway station and got to see lake Eyre south full to the brim.  Next day we made it through to the William Creek hotel but the road sign there said road from Oodnadatta to Marla was closed so we rang ahead to the Pink Roadhouse to find out that it was actually open.  So we pushed on and that night we camped out at what called the bent pole monument several km's north of Oodnadatta.  Its like being camped on the moon out here.

William Creek Hotel - Inside 1.png

William Creek Hotel Blurred Number Plate.jpg

About to tackle the Oodnadatta Track - resized.png

Pink Roadhouse Oodnadatta SA - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

We had always planned to have a crack at the famous Oodnadatta track but the weather had been very wet and the track from Maree to William Creek has just opened up to 4X4 and heavy vehicles so we took the chance.  We could see by the state of the dirt /mud road that a lot of people had gotten themselves into a lot of trouble and had to abort.  We got through to Coward Springs to camp at an old Ghan railway station and got to see lake Eyre south full to the brim.  Next day we made it through to the William Creek hotel but the road sign there said road from Oodnadatta to Marla was closed so we rang ahead to the Pink Roadhouse to find out that it was actually open.  So we pushed on and that night we camped out at what called the bent pole monument several km's north of Oodnadatta.  Its like being camped on the moon out here.

Good Stuff Al, I have travelled those roads many times over the years, always had lot's of fun, sold a few Stubby Coolers (Holders) too. 

Nothing like the Outback for a bit of adventure.

• Like 1

From Oodnadatta on to Marla SA for the night.  Next day on and into the NT where we had lunch at Kulgera Pub, which is the first and last pub in the NT.  The interesting thing which I like about this pub is that they refuse to sell any beer that is not owned by an Australian company.  I reckon that this is a good thing.  No doubt Cooper's and other Australian craft breweries feature big time at the bar and the take-away-beer sales.  I did my best to support Cooper's via a couple of pale ales (had to continue driving) whilst I ate lunch in the bullshit corner of the Mulga bar at the Kulgera Pub.

Kulgera Pub NT - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 7

Forgot to put up a pic of the pub where this big South to North Australia pub crawl started.  The German Arms Hotel in Hahndorf SA.

BTW the meals were average and the staff had no idea what was on either the drinks list or the meals menus but we just have to roll with it post C19 because nearly all theses venues are short of quality staff.  The pub up the road that sells Weihenstephan beers on tap (The Haus) was the place to go.  Meals and service superb and I will let the brewer's name speak for itself.

German Arms - Hahndorf SA - resized.png

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

Also found some more pics that my high school sweetheart took of the William Creek hotel.  So now ya just don't have to go there and see it for yourselves right?

She went into the men's urinal looking for something big and only found a big empty outdoor men's loo.

William Creek Hotel - Inside 2.png

William Creek Hotel - Inside 3.png

William Creek Hotel - Inside 4.png

William Creek Hotel - Inside 5.png

William Creek Hotel - Outside 2.png

• Like 2