Coopers Community

PUT YER FACE TO YOUR NAME

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

They did the same with VB. The plan was to drop the ABV to save $20 million a year on booze tax. They saved on their tax bill but lost massive sales dollars and market leadership in the process when many of their loyal VB drinkers bailed for other brands.

They went back to the old recipe of 4.9%

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pale Man said:

They changed the recipe a few years ago for VB and went down to 4.6% abv. Then after a lot of protest, they went back to the old recipe and 4.9%. And definitely winning back drinkers, including me.

Victoria Bitter boosts alcohol levels as recipe changes backfire (beveragedaily.com)

VB Is Going Back To Full Strength (pedestrian.tv)

yes i already knew that ,   but  the once popular mega swill never came back to it former glory days

i can remember when they changed it back to the origional recipe  and in my days working at C.U.B as a keg driver 
i would be lucky to have 10 or more vb on the truck at 1 given time    

where the bulk was carlton draught  and back in the day before the recipe change and protests vb would have been the beer of choice on tap but not now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Its around second on the list in Australia in regards to popularity. Not bad these days considering the flooding of craft beers on the market.

According to the CUB rep in Bendigo after the South African company bought it, there was a meeting where everyone who could make it was required to attend and the new CEO had looked at the books and declared VB was returning to the original recipe and process.

The words used were, "we are brewers of beer, not a beer factory!"

VB started back up the popularity charts not long after, and I will say, it was more drinkable than the version they had been selling.

Unfortunately it was around the time I started getting into craft beers and they were even betterer! 😄

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Its around second on the list in Australia in regards to popularity. Not bad these days considering the flooding of craft beers on the market.

each to their own with it mate ,  i dont drink it , wont really  look at you and say wheres the second head if you enjoy it...

but i know  from what i was carrying as a keg driver how popular it was  when they brewed it back to original recipe

yeah a few people  went great and renewed their love for it..

i used to love melbourne bitter and even when i lived in S.A i would by melbourne bitter , funny thing is when they put this beer on tap   alot of people regarded it as a craft beer from cub

which was outselling vb by the droves in kegs

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

each to their own with it mate ,  i dont drink it , wont really  look at you and say wheres the second head if you enjoy it...

but i know  from what i was carrying as a keg driver how popular it was  when they brewed it back to original recipe

yeah a few people  went great and renewed their love for it..

i used to love melbourne bitter and even when i lived in S.A i would by melbourne bitter , funny thing is when they put this beer on tap   alot of people regarded it as a craft beer from cub

Don't forget Southwark & West End Draught. 🤣  Thank goodness for Coopers.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ozdevil said:

It may have changed in recent times but Melb Bitter drinkers were intensely loyal, even from the Fosters days. Pubs I frequented or worked in had a steady order of MB for YEARS! Always the same customers, regular as a ticking clock, would soak up their stock.

In Lakes Entrance one time some MB drinkers from Melb came for a holiday and the local boys were PISSED that their MB had been sold. Publican ended up getting a special delivery straight from Melb to fill the gap. 😄

And I don't think CUB ever changed how they made it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

It may have changed in recent times but Melb Bitter drinkers were intensely loyal, even from the Fosters days. Pubs I frequented or worked in had a steady order of MB for YEARS! Always the same customers, regular as a ticking clock, would soak up their stock.

In Lakes Entrance one time some MB drinkers from Melb came for a holiday and the local boys were PISSED that their MB had been sold. Publican ended up getting a special delivery straight from Melb to fill the gap. 😄

And I don't think CUB ever changed how they made it.

the funny thing with Melbourne Bitter drinkers  (i enjoyed Melbourne Bitter  before craft beer was a thing)  it only started in Kegs around 2015  it was either stubbies or longnecks or cans

i do agree Melb btter drinkers was very loyal to the brand.

and nope cub never changed the recipe of Melb Bitter

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Don't forget Southwark & West End Draught. 🤣  Thank goodness for Coopers.

I dont mind the old Southark. They rehashed the old recipe not so long ago for nostalgia reasons. I put myself in my Dads shoes and quite enjoyed it.

I cant stomach West End Draught from cans or bottles, but funnily enough i dont mind it on tap if the beer lines are clean and its cold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I dont mind the old Southark. They rehashed the old recipe not so long ago for nostalgia reasons. I put myself in my Dads shoes and quite enjoyed it.

I cant stomach West End Draught from cans or bottles, but funnily enough i dont mind it on tap if the beer lines are clean and its cold.

I agree with technology these days & the Glycol beer systems it's rare to find a bad West End pint especially when they are $5 a Pint.

Southwark is OK nowadays especially the Stout, nearly as good as Coopers IMO.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 4:16 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

I am a big supporter of

1. The Castle

2. Crackerjack

3. The Nugget

4. The Club

And would be happy to be advised of similar festive Aussie films of similar ilk/genre? 

5. Strange Bedfellows

6. Malcolm

7. (the brilliance of) The Odd Angry Shot

"20 cents"

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2021 at 11:14 AM, MUZZY said:

This is what 55 years of neglect and abuse has done to that little, cherubic face.

Even though I had a bowl haircut back then, I wish I had the option to do so again.

IMG_20210125_104136.jpg

The modern world giveth such options, mate

Photoshoppeth 

Put the bowl cut back on!

• Haha 3

• 6 months later...