Coopers Community

Best Way To Beef Up Coopers English Bitter

DeviantLogic

I'm going to put my first brew on this weekend and I am quite keen on Coopers English Bitter. My only issue is that I understand the beers comes out around 3.5% alcohol, and I am hoping to make something with a bit more kick. I came across this recipe for an Extra Smooth Bitter using this kit, and finishing at 4.1% the recipe comes out closer to what I want, and it would be slightly cheaper to run since Brew Enhancer 1 came with my brew kit. My main apprehension towards this recipe is that using Brew Enhancer 1 and 200g of molasses seems to be quite a lot of sugar and I'm not sure whether this will have the best result. I was wondering whether I might be better off using some Brew Enhancer 2 or 3 in conjunction with some LDM for better results. Has anyone modified this tin to finish with more alcohol or followed the extra smooth bitter recipe? I would greatly appreciate some advice on the best way to brew this kit with an end result in the 4-5% abv range. 

Personally I go with the recipes that Coopers have created.
Then I'll decide if I want to change anything next time or not even try again.

Over the years I've gone to making a nice tasting beer in the lower alcohol range.

You say that's a lot of sugar. Really to up the alcohol content you'd have to add more sugar.

Someone with a bit more expertise might be able to help and tell you how much sugar or other fermentables you'd have to add to get it up to where you want it.

The English Bitter kit and a kilo of malt was always one of my go to brews when I started.

Edited by Graculus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

My go to recipe used to be:

Coopers English Bitter kit

1kg LDM

200g Dextrose

200g Medium Crystal

Hop tea of something like EKG, Challenger, Fuggles, Styrian Goldings etc.

Sounds nice. What ABV would you reckon it would come out?

I've just looked up BE1.

60% dextrose

40% maltodextrin

To keep it simple I'd probably go with that and 500g LDME.

3 hours ago, Graculus said:

The English Bitter kit and a kilo of malt was always one of my go to brews when I started.

I always thought the Cooper's recipe must have a had a typo with only 500g of malt.  I have always used a kilo.

In 23 litres each  500g malt addition adds 0.8%ABV.  So...
ESB + 500g LDM = 3.2%  
ESB +1kg LDM = 4.0%  
ESB + 1.5kg LDM = 4.8%

ESB + BE1 + 500g LDM = 4.0%

Edited by Thirsty Jim
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thirsty Jim said:

I always thought the Cooper's recipe must have a had a typo with only 500g of malt.  I have always used a kilo.

In 23 litres each  500g malt addition adds 0.8%ABV.  So...
ESB + 500g LDM = 3.2%  
ESB +1kg LDM = 4.0%  
ESB + 1.5kg LDM = 4.8%

ESB + BE1 + 500g LDM = 4.0%

The English Bitter tin and 500g LDM was sold in a bundle at Dan Murphy for about $20 when I first made it. Even though it was midstrength ABV it was very full flavoured.

Thanks for the feedback all. Since posting the thread I came across the IanH spreadsheet and have been playing around a bit with that. It looks like if I use 1kg of BE2 + 500g LDM the abv should come out around 4.6%, so I am leaning towards going with that. Is there any reason it might be better to use more LDM and exclude BE2? Doing it with 1kg BE2 + 500g LDM is ever so slightly cheaper, and according to the spreadheet it will come out true to the style of English pale ale. Using 1kg of LDM is slightly more expensive, and the spreadsheet tells me that the resulting wort has a low OG for English pale ale. (Mind you, I'm not sure how much stock to put in the spreadsheet, or style guides for that matter.)

2 hours ago, Lab Cat said:

I did this recipe and will never use molasses in beer ever again. If you like the taste of liquid rusted metal, it might be your thing, but not mine.

Go with BE2 or 3 plus 500 dry malt or 250-300g brown sugar.

Thanks heaps mate. You have saved me from pulling the trigger on what is evidently a bad brew.

5 hours ago, DeviantLogic said:

Thanks for the feedback all. Since posting the thread I came across the IanH spreadsheet and have been playing around a bit with that. It looks like if I use 1kg of BE2 + 500g LDM the abv should come out around 4.6%, so I am leaning towards going with that. Is there any reason it might be better to use more LDM and exclude BE2? Doing it with 1kg BE2 + 500g LDM is ever so slightly cheaper, and according to the spreadheet it will come out true to the style of English pale ale. Using 1kg of LDM is slightly more expensive, and the spreadsheet tells me that the resulting wort has a low OG for English pale ale. (Mind you, I'm not sure how much stock to put in the spreadsheet, or style guides for that matter.)

Thanks heaps mate. You have saved me from pulling the trigger on what is evidently a bad brew.

You'll soon realise you won't worry about what is cheaper. At least I don't.

Every so slightly cheaper is probably a cent or two per bottle. Think about it. It's worth the extra to get a better beer.

6 hours ago, DeviantLogic said:

I'm not sure how much stock to put in the spreadsheet, or style guides for that matter.

The spreadsheet is very accurate.  Trust it.

Style guides are just that - a guide.

We can tell you what we liked, not what you like.  As LabCat said earlier "If you like the taste of liquid rusted metal, it might be your thing"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MUZZY said:

The English Bitter tin and 500g LDM was sold in a bundle at Dan Murphy for about $20 when I first made it. Even though it was midstrength ABV it was very full flavoured.

The reason I thought it may have been a typo is that every other Cooper's kit is brewed to make beer of at least 4.0% ABV as every kit is recommended to be brewed with at least 1kg of additional fermentables - except the English Special Bitter.  I have never tried the recommended recipe but as I have always been on the look out for a flavorful, lower alcohol brew I really should. It is just that I like the ESB + 1kg LDM brew so much I find it hard to wind it back.

According to Wikipedia Session or Ordinary Bitter has a strength of up to 4.1% while Best Bitter is 3.8% to 4.7% while Premium (or Extra Special) Bitter clocks 4.8%+. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graculus said:

You'll soon realise you won't worry about what is cheaper. At least I don't.

Yeah, when you're making beer for about a 1/3 cost of buying it, an extra few bucks in ingredients is neither here or there. It's about what ingredients, not how much they cost.

10 hours ago, DeviantLogic said:

Thanks for the feedback all. Since posting the thread I came across the IanH spreadsheet and have been playing around a bit with that.  Doing it with 1kg BE2 + 500g LDM is ever so slightly cheaper, and according to the spreadheet it will come out true to the style of English pale ale. Using 1kg of LDM is slightly more expensive, and the spreadsheet tells me that the resulting wort has a low OG for English pale ale. (Mind you, I'm not sure how much stock to put in the spreadsheet, or style guides for that matter.)

THe spreadsheet is solid for OG/FG and ABV calcs. I find everything I plug in does exactly what the sheet says, give or take a point or two.

I take no notice of styles, I brew beers I like, so I ignore any of the low/high flags relating to that. Sometimes I'm on style, sometimes not.

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, DeviantLogic said:

Okay, I picked up 1kg of LDM today and am going to brew the kit with that. Thinking I will probably chuck in 200-300g of dextrose as well, just to bump up the alcohol content a little. 

A bit of dex will not hurt due to the bold flavour of the English Bitter.  Let us know how it turns out.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

been a while since had to bottle so much at once. Going into 500ml swing tops tasted good out of hydrometer yesterday at 22 degrees cant wait for it to carbonate and age. EKG hop tea added Friday will come out just over 5% in bottle. Just used EB tin 1.5kg Light Liquid Malt 200 dextrose 20 litres Nottingham yeast. Never seen such a small trub on bottom even with no cold crash.

20210221_125658.jpg

20210221_125706.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 3

So... I've got a can of English Bitter and 1kg of BE3 in the cupboard. I also have a packet of Nottingham yeast and 25g of EKG left, as well 100g each of Fuggles and Bramling Cross hops in the fridge.

I am thinking this surely is enough for making up something decent 🙂

Was going to steep 25g each of the EKG, Fuggles and Bramling Cross together for 30mins and then add the hop tea to the FV with the kit and BE3 - but would I be better off boiling the EKG for say 15mins first?

I also have 250g left of light crystal malt grains - worth using with the English Bitter kit or better off used with something else?

The English Bitter can with 1kg of LDME makes a fine brew..Also, look for the Battleship Bitter in the recipe pages.  It has a few hop additions and is delicious. The recipe specifies priming at half the normal rate. I was a bit dubious about that but did so, and glad I did. It mutes the Co2 bite and allows the malt and hop flavours to shine. A slightly different pouring technique is needed to form a good head , but once achieved it is fine, generous and persistent. The flavour is quite complex and very satisfying. I heartily recommend it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lickedthestamp said:

So... I've got a can of English Bitter and 1kg of BE3 in the cupboard. I also have a packet of Nottingham yeast and 25g of EKG left, as well 100g each of Fuggles and Bramling Cross hops in the fridge.

I am thinking this surely is enough for making up something decent 🙂

Was going to steep 25g each of the EKG, Fuggles and Bramling Cross together for 30mins and then add the hop tea to the FV with the kit and BE3 - but would I be better off boiling the EKG for say 15mins first?

I also have 250g left of light crystal malt grains - worth using with the English Bitter kit or better off used with something else?

I really like the EB can.  However, I think it can do with a bit more bitterness.  Boiling some EKG as you suggest would be my approach. Still add the Fuggles and Bramling Cross.  I especially like the black current taste you get from the Bramling Cross.

Maybe hold off on the Light Crystal Malt.  As I said above, for me, this can is already a bit sweet.  The crystal might add to that effect.  If you like your beers that way, then go for it.  It will not make a bad beer.

• Like 2

It's been awhile since I've made an English Bitter but I have a few tins of it again now. I'd previously only used 500g LDM with it and I thought it was a great beer, especially for a midstrength, but this time I'm going to add a 1.5kg tin of liquid light malt. I don't think I'll add any hops as I found it to my liking without them. I'm hoping the extra malt won't alter the flavour profile too drastically.

Edited by MUZZY

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

It's been awhile since I've made an English Bitter but I have a few tins of it again now. I'd previously only used 500g LDM with it and I thought it was a great beer, especially for a midstrength, but this time I'm going to add a 1.5kg tin of liquid light malt to boost the ABV a little. I don't think I'll add any hops as I found it to my liking without them. I'm hoping the extra malt won't alter the flavour profile to drastically.

Your 1,5 kg liquid malt will be close to my 1kg dry malt, so should be fine. Also,I think you meant “too” drastically. Whoops!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 11:00 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I really like the EB can.  However, I think it can do with a bit more bitterness.  Boiling some EKG as you suggest would be my approach. Still add the Fuggles and Bramling Cross.  I especially like the black current taste you get from the Bramling Cross.

Maybe hold off on the Light Crystal Malt.  As I said above, for me, this can is already a bit sweet.  The crystal might add to that effect.  If you like your beers that way, then go for it.  It will not make a bad beer.

Ok so I finally put down the English Bitter kit yesterday using BE3 & Nottingham yeast with 20g EKG, 25g Fuggles and 30g Bramling Cross hops.

As suggested, boiled the EKG for 15mins then steeped the Fuggles/Bramling for 30mins before adding to the FV.

I originally intended to use 25g of each but only had 20g left of the EKG, so bumped up the Bramling to 30g to make it 75g of hops all up.

OG of 1036. 

We'll see how it goes 🙂

Edited by lickedthestamp
  • Like 3