Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

Anyone used this? I received it today along with all my ingredients to make some what of a “farmhouse” style beer.  Having my toe in the saison pool for a minute (you should try it @Graubart) I thought I’d go further down the path of yeast driven beers. To my knowledge this yeast is somewhat of a wild Belgian Sacc Strain. Acts like Bret but isn’t scary to have around. Mango/over ripe fruit esters along with some acidity as it is diastatic which should drop ph below 4 for some sourness. Brew day next Wednesday. Planning on bottling this in champagne bottles and priming the heck out of it to about 3.5 vols. 

7B4E3BA5-A0CC-4781-AD88-A59DBFBBFF39.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yep looks freaking awesome.

Be aware of the diastaticus strains though, I've had issues before. champagne bottles should be good however just drink them in a reasonable timeframe.

I forgot about a saison in the cupboard for 18 months and lets just say I'm glad in finished dry AF, cause that was close to blowing up by the time I found it.

• Haha 3

On 3/24/2021 at 5:51 PM, Green Blob said:

Oh gosh. That looks AMAZING.
Where did you get it?

1138096877_ScreenShot2021-03-24at5_49_28pm.png.a58534d77f47ced6f64514ad801d0a67.png

275447474_ScreenShot2021-03-24at5_50_02pm.png.824cb654f80a3fe6069b3142782a651a.png

Got it from hoppy days. Not sure where you’re at but I ordered Sunday evening at about 10pm and the courier was knocking on my door at 2pm Monday. Can’t recommend hoppy days enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

The white labs wild sacc strain starter underway and currently fangin away for a Saturday brew day. Certainly has a different aroma than other starters.... Almost raw dough/bread like, rather than sweet/fruit/winey. 

E97EF4EA-7695-4B42-AD3C-296C75A1B310.jpeg

thats just the starter omfg good luck mate looks like the mead of my dreams

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Graubart said:

Temperature?

20°

10 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Surprised mate that after brewing for donkeys years it's the 1st time. It's makes a good beer and yeah it gets the job done quick smart

Just never had the need...

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2021 at 6:39 AM, Green Blob said:
On 4/12/2021 at 5:16 PM, Graubart said:

Temperature?

20°

GB, if fermenting @ 20 degrees do you just add a few more days in the FV after you've reached FG for a bit of a clean up and or DR or do you bump the temp up slightly from 20 Deg as well?

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey GB, did you just sprinkle the Nott directly into the wort or did you rehydrate first? TIA

Sprinkle...

51 minutes ago, Mickep said:

for a bit of a clean up

I don't use temp control so I just leave it until it is redy and I have a keg spare.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2021 at 7:33 AM, MitchBastard said:

Anyone used this? I received it today along with all my ingredients to make some what of a “farmhouse” style beer.  Having my toe in the saison pool for a minute (you should try it @Graubart) I thought I’d go further down the path of yeast driven beers. To my knowledge this yeast is somewhat of a wild Belgian Sacc Strain. Acts like Bret but isn’t scary to have around. Mango/over ripe fruit esters along with some acidity as it is diastatic which should drop ph below 4 for some sourness. Brew day next Wednesday. Planning on bottling this in champagne bottles and priming the heck out of it to about 3.5 vols. 

I've used 644 a few times and I find it unlike true brett strains. It's actually getting used in NEIPAs now and my first experience was an IPA with tropical hops which was really stunning. So I got a pack and used it in a few brews. I recommend making a hoppy pale with hops like Galaxy, Vic Secret, Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic etc.  I also tried making a Belgian pale with it and though it wasn't true to style really I thoroughly enjoyed it. A great yeast, which is also very robust and easy to keep re-using.

Edited by Phil_McGlass

Thanks @Phil_McGlass I’ve used it in a farmhouse type beer and it’s coming along nicely. It’s very tart but still brings a fair bit of fruit. It’s a bit of a fruit salad type flavour though. Can’t really pin it down even though descriptors say mango and pineapple..... 

Do you remember how far it fermented out when you used it? Do you remember what gravity you reached?

cheers!

On 4/15/2021 at 9:45 PM, MitchBastard said:

Thanks @Phil_McGlass I’ve used it in a farmhouse type beer and it’s coming along nicely. It’s very tart but still brings a fair bit of fruit. It’s a bit of a fruit salad type flavour though. Can’t really pin it down even though descriptors say mango and pineapple..... 

Do you remember how far it fermented out when you used it? Do you remember what gravity you reached?

cheers!

I've not had tartness from it. I would say that your tartness isn't likely to be from the yeast.  I've found one beer I did that went 1051 to 1009. 82% attenuation. That's typical, 80-85% iirc. 

Big and small pasta jar slurry from Euro lager that had one kit yeast and one dubbya left little bit behind can't see sense in half filling one jar. Even if filled another got enough for another brew. Not sure how successful my slurry collecting will be from now on as BF struggling to CC properly. Hope when propper cold winter arrives it will work better.

Euro looked good coming out into keg and smelt fantastic in the 4 PET bottles I got before keg. 

20210420_153120.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

MJ_CS_YEAST_HHEAD_LR_1024x1024.jpg.90e283c3822cd1467047977cd321832e.jpg

Mangrove Jack’s M66 Hophead Ale Yeast

A yeast and enzyme blend that enhances aromatics and esters, perfect for New England, hazy and fruit forward IPAs. Select enzymes improve aroma and flavour from late hop and fruit additions.

M66 Hophead Ale Yeast is suitable for New England IPAs, Juicy IPAs, Hazy IPAs, American IPAs, American Pale Ales and more.

Attenuation: Medium (74-82 %)

Flocculation: High (4/5)

Usage Directions: Sprinkle contents directly onto a maximum of 23 L (6 US Gal) of wort. Suitable to ferment at 18-22°C.

Storage Recommendations: Store below 10°C.

Interesting

• Like 4

On 5/5/2021 at 5:26 PM, Green Blob said:

MJ_CS_YEAST_HHEAD_LR_1024x1024.jpg.90e283c3822cd1467047977cd321832e.jpg

Interesting

I have a packet of this but haven't pulled the trigger yet. It would have gone into the las NEIPA if I had more time, planning to try it soon though and some of the Philly sour sitting there waiting for something.

The enzyme are what I am wondering about in the Hophead.

• 4 weeks later...

I always just dry pitch the yeast but thoroughly aerate the wort with a sanitised SS cooking whisk first.  You can get them from Woolies or Coles for a few dollars.  Sprinkle the dry yeast onto the oxygenated foam created and leave it sit there for several minutes (lid on FV of course) then a less rigorous whisk/stir with the whisk to ensure all yeast granules are totally wet.

Re-hydrating your dry yeast is not going to produce more yeast, that’s the job of a proper starter. 

One of the only advantages of re-hydrating is that it should ensure all yeast granules have been coated with enough water to allow them to draw enough across their membranes and survive to the adaptive phase.  Dry pitching is fine for normal gravity wort’s but if pitching into a very high gravity wort then re-hydration would assist the survival rate due to the super high sugar in these wort’s which blocks the water getting though their membranes.

Re-hydrated yeast is not going to become active in the short time frame mentioned by CP brewery, it takes a few hours.  Sure pitch the re-hydrated yeast within say 45 minutes as the cells would have drawn in enough moisture by then so all good there but it’s not going to get you off to a head start with fermenting.  All the yeast cells that survive still have to go through the adaptive phase first and that always takes a few hours.

The only way to get a head start on fermentation is to make a starter of appropriate size a couple of days beforehand and then pitch that when it’s at high Krausen, into your wort.

Re-hydrating is not worth the risk and work IMO and only gives a perceived head start on fermentation.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1