Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This is the yeast I did a starter with last weekend.  I did it more with the intent to harvest part of the starter for a future full batch.  But this weekend, the plan is to do a Hefeweizen.  Brew up a 20L batch, split in half into 2 craft FV's.  Pitch the Munich Classic (after I remove the harvested volume) into 1 and WB-06 into the other.  Brew side by side to see what happens. Gonna try 18°C for 2 days then 21°C for 5 days.

Shamus just be bllllllaaardy careful certainly with Munich Classic mate as I am having a losing battle fighting against the Foambeast Monster that keeps emerging out the porthole since I removed the bubbler cleaning up and draining to reduce volume two hours ago!?!     Phaaarque it is cranking... guess if you got a Coopers Plazzi with KCollar you will be fine and dandy!  Really looking forward to what you find w yeast comparison.  Have done dry WB06 in past and was somewhat underwhelmed.  Did W3068 Liquid and relatively happy.  Now dry Lally Munich and well besides the Foam Beast it does smell the goods... will see how it transpires in keg if there's any left that hasn't gone out the far ken porthole! For the time being I have to battle with the unstoppable Foam Beast Monster!?!  Hopefully the Foam Beast means it might be a nice creamy festive brew in the end?

image.thumb.png.1649b2d60b0157ce6cdc7a36ff9bbc37.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 3

4 stubbies us-05 slurry was tiny bit left I didn't get. I chucked the Nottingham slurry from last time as I hadn't  cold crashed it and was worried about how much it actually had in it. The big one in back ground and amber stubbie is dubbya 34 going into pilsner tomorrow. Going to put all in just in case as it's a nervous time when first do it wondering if going to work. At same time couldn't be a lot in small one anyway unsure of where else would use it.

20210305_161946.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graubart said:

Shamus just be bllllllaaardy careful certainly with Munich Classic mate as I am having a losing battle fighting against the Foambeast Monster that keeps emerging out the porthole since I removed the bubbler cleaning up and draining to reduce volume two hours ago!?!     Phaaarque it is cranking... guess if you got a Coopers Plazzi with KCollar you will be fine and dandy!  Really looking forward to what you find w yeast comparison.  Have done dry WB06 in past and was somewhat underwhelmed.  Did W3068 Liquid and relatively happy.  Now dry Lally Munich and well besides the Foam Beast it does smell the goods... will see how it transpires in keg if there's any left that hasn't gone out the far ken porthole! For the time being I have to battle with the unstoppable Foam Beast Monster!?!  Hopefully the Foam Beast means it might be a nice creamy festive brew in the end?

image.thumb.png.1649b2d60b0157ce6cdc7a36ff9bbc37.png

Good luck with that @Graubart you have unleashed a monster, might have to slay it with your cutlass.  

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

Going to put all in

Meself - and hey am no slurry expert - or brewing expert either - but just a suggestion - I would pour most of the 'beer' off the top... and then pour in.... or pour off beer, and use sterilised stainless spoon... add some wort or boiled sterilised and cooled water into the jar - and stir it all up and then pour in...  so as you can pour the stuff as it might be a bit consolidated in bottom of the storage jar.

So... need to take care re sanitise outside of jar - and I use rubber food grade gloves dipped in Stellar San solution and just be really really careful everything you are touching is all nice and clean and sanitised.... I wear a clean freshly washed long sleeve shirt too.. just wanna keep everything else OUT of the festive new Wort that is just waiting to be colonised by some beast... and hopefully it is the Dubbya 34 Slurry Beast @jamiek86 Jamie 🙂

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Graubart thanks mate I noticed why trying get rid of Nottingham it was rock solid is another option pour some beer off top then shake it up in jar before pitch? Was thinking then would save need to sanitise a spoon

Probs could... I just dunno whether floggggggging the pharque out of the yeast in a jar with little solution/fluid around them is a great idea or not... also if quite compacted dunno how easy it will be to get the sludgey stuff off the bottom?

But I hey I do respect your point re sticking other foreign objects in there and keeping infection out - as you also have noted re starters vs sprinkling JamieK and that straight sprinkling cuts out a possible step where you could generate infection....   I guess only way would be to try a few different approaches mate?🤔

• Like 1

@Graubart considering I put a thermometer in the wort itself I guess it's not that much of contamination risk to stir with a spoon. I'll see what I do tomorrow I just thought if we shake it around to mix the slurry before collect it should be same other way around. But maby I could upset the yeasties doing so

On 2/27/2021 at 12:46 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I will be very interested to read your feedback.  I almost always bottle a few before kegging the rest.  I have not used the Philly Sour yeast yet, but I plan to soon.

Do you have a link or something to where you read about it not being suitable for bottle conditioning? 

@Shamus O'Sean tested a bottle, its carbed up after a week and tastes same as keg at this stage.

20210305_215855.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Graubart said:

Wow.  That is full ON.  I think I will fit the Craft kit Krausen Collar to the Munich ferment.  May not subdue the monster, but give him somewhere to go.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Graubart considering I put a thermometer in the wort itself I guess it's not that much of contamination risk to stir with a spoon. I'll see what I do tomorrow I just thought if we shake it around to mix the slurry before collect it should be same other way around. But maybe I could upset the yeasties doing so

Mate have had a bit more time to think on't - and I reckon leave some of the old beer in there - enough to mix - and then stir up with sterile spoon... rather than adding any other shittt like sterile water... less risk of infection there... and a bit of old beer in your big brew will make 9/10 of fkkkall difference to your brew... and the yeast are used to the old brew anyway and in their hibernating state...

And maybe that thick yeast paste - with all beer poured off - flogging upsetting them - is over the top - I dunno...  not sure... gut feel... anyway... just leave some old beer in... and mix up w sterile spoon and sterilised gloves on... or just leave half beer in and try shaking up and see how it goes? I sorta think it will be hard to get festive compacted yeast pack off the bottom of the jar no?

And at time of pitch -- consider putting in a few Litres of Wort into FV... then the yeast slurry.... then add rest of wort... to nicely mix yeast slurry through... HTH mate

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Wow.  That is full ON.  I think I will fit the Craft kit Krausen Collar to the Munich ferment.  May not subdue the monster, but give him somewhere to go.

Hahaha so coooool Shamus luvyerwork.... truly spoken... we just want the Monster to stay INSIDE haha!!! So I think these are the root causes:

1. New yeast - not sure quite what to expect but is dry yeast - and although I had read about it being frothy... did not take heed I guess or was in challenging situation re FVs.

2. Coopers FV with KCollar otherwise gainfully occupied in Brew Fridge doing Yeast Cleanup and flocc-out-clarify.  So out of action.

3. Only sensible FV available was - comparatively small - SS FV with Bubbler.

4. Starter solution made with cooled down Wort that the Yeast is going to ferment in the main FV once ready - so yeast is well adapted to this specific set of fermentables.  And the Wort was AG with plenty gravity and plenty proteins that make froth... Wheat Beer.

5. Wort is very well oxygenated - worked very hard on this - as I reckon the SS FV for me has been harder to oxygenate. (Another story).

6. Temp in the Larder was c.20degC... and exothermic reaction of Yeast fermenting raises to c.23 fairly warm... and I struggled to cool it.

7. The Yeast went off like a frog-in-a-sock and the Foam Monster was too great to contain safely within its boundaries 🥳

(Hahaha @Red devil 44 ICAM on foamfest out of bubbler!?! Incident Cause Analysis Method @Shamus O'Sean haha accident investigation root cause analysis methodology) 

So would keep all of the above same... but just sub in the Coopers Vessel w KCollar... and maybe would be nicer if possible to keep slightly cooler... though the aromas of the fermenting beer were nothing short of sennnnnnnnsational.... enjoyed that.... but not the cleaning up ; )  

I reduced vol by draining off some to bottles... but STUPIDLY added coops lollies as one normally does at bottling time without thinking things through properly  - auto-pilot.... really should have just capped - let primary ferment finish - and associated calm down - and then add coops lollies a few weeks later... so decided this morning so as not to derive Bottle Bombs (tho Coopers Largies are as tough as nails) or "Spray Cans"... to let off some CO2 and re-cap.  Well... this is what I got with the tiniest pressure release of the cap:

image.thumb.png.8d3efd4c7e65c340673d20e55aae7ced.png

So... washed down, rinse with boiling water in and around the caps... and have just resealed bots w same caps with capper in pic background... the caps never came off properly anyway... and will keep these bots I think as a future yeast source hopefully... as they are not gunna be drinkers unless I wanna eat it with a spoon outta a bucket 🥳

Maybe there is a business venture there... Beer Cream Parlours?

In summary - @Shamus O'Sean Shamus - if you have festive Coopers FV w the KC reckon you will be fine mate.  And I will be watching for any updates as am really keen to see how you go mate with the same yeast BEAST haha! 😜

9 hours ago, Graubart said:

I reduced vol by draining off some to bottles... but STUPIDLY added coops lollies as one normally does at bottling time without thinking things through properly  - auto-pilot.... really should have just capped - let primary ferment finish - and associated calm down - and then add coops lollies a few weeks later... so decided this morning so as not to derive Bottle Bombs (tho Coopers Largies are as tough as nails) or "Spray Cans"... to let off some CO2 and re-cap.  Well... this is what I got with the tiniest pressure release of the cap:

Sooooo these bottles are full of still fermenting wort, not to mention a carb drop?

This does not sound good.  Man, I would not do it.  They are going to build up a lot of pressure.  Sheesh, your post was 9 hours ago.  If the bottles are still intact, keep releasing the pressure, or come up with a way to release the pressure.

Otherwise call the contents of the bottles a loss and tip them, or you may lose both the content and the bottles.

• Thanks 1

@Graubart I've been there before with a swing top bottled it before finished fermenting in a 2 litre green grolsh actual property grolsh swing top had emptied and re filled. I added some sugar less than usual as experiment. Unsure on amount but thought it would finish itself fine but after many bad sleeps thinking about it released pressure. Foamed a bit and blew away foam and put swing top back on. Done this for about 3 days in row and ended up with 1.5 litres of beer that was good. U may just get half a longkeck if keep pressure release better than nothing 🍻

• Thanks 1

6 hours after pitching garlic smelling dubbya 34 slurry on 18 degrees it's alive set brew fridge to 11 coldest I've ever done.  It can come down in temp now and hopefully make a decent beer with no garlic taste might have to dry hop it before cold crash.

20210306_222502.jpg

• Like 2

S04 at work on my oat meal stout no Krausen but it’s cranking opposite end of the scale to @Graubart s yeast. The oats must make it work in a different way as my other stouts have had krausens and I have other beers with oats and US05 which had no krausen. Love the coopers fermenter cause you can see what’s happening.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

holy crapola thats some activity how u get this by luck?

I have had it before with a cloudy ipa before with US05 but that was obviously a lighter beer but it stands out more with the dark beer. I believe it’s from the oats which must cause the krausen to stay low and you can see the action from above.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I have had it before with a cloudy ipa before with US05 but that was obviously a lighter beer but it stands out more with the dark beer. I believe it’s from the oats which must cause the krausen to stay low and you can see the action from above.

thats amazing if it's real time good work

• Thanks 1

@Graubart dubbya 34 garlic slurry took off like bat shit last night. Photo from hour ago sitting on 12 degrees nicely only having it on 18 for 6 hours gave it good start. Krausen missing small half moon spot at back but all seems well. Got that strong egg smell too mate 🍻

20210307_104520.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 2

On 2/28/2021 at 12:42 PM, jamiek86 said:

@Graubart when i was just a newbie on this forum before doing my first proper lager at cooler temps i mentioned the eggy smell i had read about and had once before. There were very few responses from others to say had had same thing apart from otto said maby once or twice and he brews them all time. The last 5 pilsner/lagers i have done every single one has had it until after a few days of d rest.  All have had either coopers lager yeast s-189 or good old dubbya all same smell mate and all have tasted fantastic in keg with no off taste or smell remaining. Some brewed on 14 some on 16 all same smell. even a couple of pale ales with hybrid yeast half ale hale lager have had faint egg smell but nothing like full blown lager yeast 2 packs or so.

Just got on here and searched for 'egg' as much current brew stinks like eggs!... glad to see this is common for Lagers.

• Haha 1