Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

I have harvested slurry a few times with success but don't usually brew frequently enough to do it regularly. Mostly this has been with beers with no dry hop.

I'm on a bit of a roll at the moment so have been taking advantage of harvesting. My latest 2 brews were heavily dry hopped (6-8g/L). I did my best to leave the hops behind when scooping out but still have a fair bit of hop matter in the jars.

To those that harvest - do you reuse yeast from beers with a heavy dry hop?  

34 minutes ago, Popo said:

I have harvested slurry a few times with success but don't usually brew frequently enough to do it regularly. Mostly this has been with beers with no dry hop.

I'm on a bit of a roll at the moment so have been taking advantage of harvesting. My latest 2 brews were heavily dry hopped (6-8g/L). I did my best to leave the hops behind when scooping out but still have a fair bit of hop matter in the jars.

never with a heavy dry hop maby only with 2 g per litre. if your concerned try yeast rinsing it explains how to seperate yeast and trub. in this case hops also. most post talk about using sanitised water in jar my understanding would be just leave small amount of settled beer on top. That may not be a proper rince though I'm not experienced only guessing.

The main thing seems be shake it up so all stirred in leave 10 min you should see 3 layers as settles. The hops may float on top of water or sink I'm not sure but post says Water on top pour that off. yeast in middle just above trub pour that off into another sanitised jar leave trub behind. you will have to google it for pics and let me know how u go as I have only ever re pitched whole thing.

Edited by jamiek86

10 hours ago, Popo said:

I don't. Generally I will harvesr from the first pitch, which will usually be into a low gravity no dry hop beer. I'll harvest 4 bottles and then sometimes do the same with the last one. SO So 9 beers for a liquid yeast purchase is good value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

coopers r3556 from 86 days pils most likely some big commercial yeast anyway chewing through the gravity points fast. Pimped up Euro lager using 3 packs 3556 pitched at 21 quickly brang down to 17 then 15 then 12 over course of 8 hours from pitch. OG was 1.054 not even 3 days later after being on 12 degrees most time was at 1.036 then today at 1.022.  I suspect will finish at 14 or 16 so already raising for d rest 5 days from pitching 😱

I guess my statement and question is seems bit fast from lager yeast has anyone else experienced this? I don't normally take second  gravity reading until 5th or 6th day and have only had suspected fast ferments from re using slurry. It's almost fermenting as fast as an ale is this my warm pitching? I would normally aim to pitch at 18 and drop as recommended by coopers but missed mark this time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

coopers r3556 from 86 days pils most likely some big commercial yeast anyway chewing through the gravity points fast. Pimped up Euro lager using 3 packs 3556 pitched at 21 quickly brang down to 17 then 15 then 12 over course of 8 hours from pitch. OG was 1.054 not even 3 days later after being on 12 degrees most time was at 1.036 then today at 1.022.  I suspect will finish at 14 or 16 so already raising for d rest 5 days from pitching 😱

I guess my statement and question is seems bit fast from lager yeast has anyone else experienced this? I don't normally take second  gravity reading until 5th or 6th day and have only had suspected fast ferments from re using slurry. It's almost fermenting as fast as an ale is this my warm pitching? I would normally aim to pitch at 18 and drop as recommended by coopers but missed mark this time. 

Depends on a few things mate. Temp. Number of cells and the type of lager yeast. I have had WLP838 Southern German lager finish in just over 3 days and that was at a cold 10c pitch. I suspect yours was the temp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Depends on a few things mate. Temp. Number of cells and the type of lager yeast. I have had WLP838 Southern German lager finish in just over 3 days and that was at a cold 10c pitch. I suspect yours was the temp.

surprising that I didn't even leave it warm for long and have had ales come down as fast in same time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

was this one pack of liquid yeast pitched cold or a starter? I want try good lager  liquid yeast wondering if for price really need the 2 or a starter.

• Like 1

I have been looking at trying some mangrove jacks M76 Bavarian lager yeast cheaper dry version instead of liquid smack pack would use 2 packs. Has anyone used both liquid and dry versions and know what's better? Also is it similar or same to anything that saflager make?

Also M54 California dry lager yeast is it as good as describes lager taste at ale temps? In general Is mangrove jacks yeast any good?

I've also been thinking of getting the 15 gram coopers packs for their price as it's probably this same stuff but more of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

I have been looking at trying some mangrove jacks M76 Bavarian lager yeast cheaper dry version instead of liquid smack pack would use 2 packs. Has anyone used both liquid and dry versions and know what's better? Also is it similar or same to anything that saflager make?

Also M54 California dry lager yeast is it as good as describes lager taste at ale temps? In general Is mangrove jacks yeast any good?

I've also been thinking of getting the 15 gram coopers packs for their price as it's probably this same stuff but more of it.

Never used liquid yeast so cannot comment about it.

I wanted to use Mangrove Jacks M76 Bavarian Lager, but the LHBS I visited did not have it.  They sold me a pack of Dubbya (W-35/70) instead, saying it was pretty close.  But what do I know?

I did a Great Northern Clone recently with M54 Californian Lager yeast.  It tastes really nice.  Not much of a clone though.

I have used a few of the Mangrove Jacks yeasts and fine them fine.

The 15g Coopers yeast packs are a good size for slightly higher OG's.  Maybe wait for free delivery for orders over $80-100 (It varies from month to month for some reason).  Order a bunch of other stuff at the same time to get your order over the threshold.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean what temp did u brew the California yeast at the higher end to test out if still like a crisp lager? They say 18 degrees is still good

Four days at 18°C then up to 20°C for a week.  It tasted fine.  Maybe not "crisp", because it had an ABV of 5.9% and was quite flavoursome.  I have only used California yeast this once as far as I can remember.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Four days at 18°C then up to 20°C for a week.  It tasted fine.  Maybe not "crisp", because it had an ABV of 5.9% and was quite flavoursome.  I have only used California yeast this once as far as I can remember.

thanks mate ill give it a crack myself I think with a lager style and test the theory of doesn't need the conditioning and fast carb the keg.

• Like 1

it's OK found your post a starter I might try something similar but use a good 300 grams of capapils along with 1kg of pilsner malt to add some body after the enzyme. Assuming the dry enzyme won't eat into what the carapils throws out?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

it's OK found your post a starter I might try something similar but use a good 300 grams of capapils along with 1kg of pilsner malt to add some body after the enzyme. Assuming the dry enzyme won't eat into what the carapils throws out?

Carapils still has some sugar in it.  Munch on some Carapils grains to test this for yourself.  The enzyme will help the yeast chew through the sugar.  Mine got down to FG 1.000.  So that's pretty thorough chewing.  The beer did not taste "dry" though.

• Like 2

Anyone had experience with this yeast white labs wlp510  Bastogne Belgian ale yeast got it for half price nearing its expiry was going to do a starter. Haven’t done a Belgian beer yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Anyone had experience with this yeast white labs wlp510  Bastogne Belgian ale yeast got it for half price nearing its expiry was going to do a starter. Haven’t done a Belgian beer yet.

Tried most Belgian yeasts but not that one. Apparently from the orval brewery. For a Belgian it's usually start low and finish high for a fermentation temp and you won't go wrong. I'll have a look in my book brew like a monk tomorrow to see if I can get any info for you as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RDT2 said:

@RDT2I don't know that one either mate. I have tried the WY1388 but it stalled on me. I didn't listen to @Greeny1525229549, @Shamus O'Sean or @ChristinaS1 who suggested making a proper starter : no good getting decent advice if you don't take it 😞 

I ended up throwing in a half-pack of MJ49, which was the only Belgian style yeast I had at the time. @Greeny1525229549 recommended MJ41 as an alternative to WY1388 but I didn't have one to hand.

It turned out OK but with some funky tropical fruit notes , not what I was aiming for but quite pleasant all the same.

I found this link :

https://byo.com/article/yeast-strains-for-belgian-strong-ales/

Achouffe — Wyeast 3522 (Belgian Ardennes) and White Labs WLP550 (Belgian Ale)

Chimay — Wyeast 1214 (Belgian Ale) and White Labs WLP500 (Trappist Ale)

Du Bocq (Corsendonk) — Wyeast 3538 (Leuven Pale Ale)

Duvel Moortgat — Wyeast 1388 (Belgian Strong Ale) and White Labs WLP570 (Belgian Golden Ale)

Rochefort — Wyeast 1762 (Belgian Abbey II) and White Labs WLP540 (Belgian Abbey IV)

Orval — White Labs WLP510 (Bastogne Belgain Ale)

Unibroue — Wyeast 3864 (Canadian/Belgian)

Westmalle — Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) and White Labs WLP530 (Abbey Ale)

I quite like Orval myself - I have bought a cuppla cases of it with the case to keep and use the bottles. I like all of those Belgian ales. Bit on the hefty side, and not easy to clone so far. I have done an acceptable version of Chimay Blue, and I also did one but went a bit overboard on the dark malt extract and it really knocked you out - 9 volts and all that ...

Good luck with it !

Edited by stquinto
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Tried most Belgian yeasts but not that one. Apparently from the orval brewery. For a Belgian it's usually start low and finish high for a fermentation temp and you won't go wrong. I'll have a look in my book brew like a monk tomorrow to see if I can get any info for you as well.

Cheers that would be greatly appreciated 👍