Coopers Community

Yeast Thread 2021

ben 10

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

kit yeast? only kviek would be ok at that temp any other yeast will make beer taste horrid

No kviek in town and need a keg for a party in a few weeks, and my temp controlled fridge already has a beer brewing - Coopers Fair Dinkum PA.

Had to roll the dice on it. If its really bad I'll bring it out last!

My CCA yeast fermentation profile for brewing a Coopers Sparkling Ale.  Note this is not the same one as used for brewing the Coopers Pale Ale as you want some Estors in the later so it starts off higher at 21 C.

CCA Yeast Temp Profile CSA.PNG

• Like 3

Decided to try my hand today at wild yeast capture. On my walk this morning I saw a bit of wattle flowering so returned with some secateurs. There is a bench seat right near it so I sat there for about 5 mins watching the bees go to work and cut off the flower bunches they had touched. Got a couple of funny looks from passers by. Managed to get 8 flower bunches which I have stuffed into 4 jars which I sanitised in boiling water and then starsaned. There were a few insects and one little spider that I extracated off the flowers. 1L of wort with 60gm DME and 20gm sugar. Boiled and added 3 pellets of magnum hops at the end. Cooled it down and poured it into the jars. Have put the jars into my ferm fridge which is at 26c. Will give a check in a week. It's all hit and miss with this from what I have read. The majority just go mouldy but occasionally you can get something good out of it. If I'm lucky I will get something and grow it up for a long term fermentation.

20210718_132313.jpg

20210718_133002.jpg

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Decided to try my hand today at wild yeast capture. On my walk this morning I saw a bit of wattle flowering so returned with some secateurs. There is a bench seat right near it so I sat there for about 5 mins watching the bees go to work and cut off the flower bunches they had touched. Got a couple of funny looks from passers by. Managed to get 8 flower bunches which I have stuffed into 4 jars which I sanitised in boiling water and then starsaned. There were a few insects and one little spider that I extracated off the flowers. 1L of wort with 60gm DME and 20gm sugar. Boiled and added 3 pellets of magnum hops at the end. Cooled it down and poured it into the jars. Have put the jars into my ferm fridge which is at 26c. Will give a check in a week. It's all hit and miss with this from what I have read. The majority just go mouldy but occasionally you can get something good out of it. If I'm lucky I will get something and grow it up for a long term fermentation.

20210718_132313.jpg

20210718_133002.jpg

Interesting let us know how it turns out.

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

It's all hit and miss with this from what I have read.

Good luck. Be very mindful of brewery cleanliness - you don't want it to run rampant and ruin the brewery.

Treat it like Brett.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Good luck. Be very mindful of brewery cleanliness - you don't want it to run rampant and ruin the brewery.

Treat it like Brett.

Thanks mate. Yeah have dedicated bug vessels. Glass fermenter and a bottling bucket/old fermenter which is dedicated. Really getting a liking for sours, bretty beers these days so gonna be trying lots of wierd and wonderful things going forward😁

• Like 1

Saflager W-34/70 fermentation temp profile that I use and it gives me excellent results.  It is not a be all end all template, just what works for me.  I work on 21 day lager brewing schedule and start low and ferment slow until almost at FG then up the temp for a few days D-Rest.  Very happy with my lagers using this technique so far with Dubbya and others.

Saflager W-34 70 Yeast Fermentation Profile.PNG

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 1:49 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Decided to try my hand today at wild yeast capture. On my walk this morning I saw a bit of wattle flowering so returned with some secateurs. 

Bloody Hell Greeny, are you sure you are not a re-incarnation of Grove Johnson?  He was the one that isolated a yeast from Australian eucalyptus blossom to use in brews of high cane sugar content way back in the 1800's.  That yeast started out life in the Ballarat Brewery making Ballarat Bitter (Ballarat Bertie as it was called way back then I believe). 

This was before he was poached to go and work for CUB and later other brewery such as Lithgow Brewery.  That yeast is now know as WLP059 Melbourne Ale Yeast.  Lucky for us brewers Grove Johnson had the good sense to register that strain and it still lives today in yeast vaults such as White Labs (if you can get it).

Maybe you will isolate and register new strain called greeny1525229549 ha ha.😄

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Bloody Hell Greeny, are you sure you are not a re-incarnation of Grove Johnson?  He was the one that isolated a yeast from Australian eucalyptus blossom to use in brews of high cane sugar content way back in the 1800's.  That yeast started out life in the Ballarat Brewery making Ballarat Bitter (Ballarat Bertie as it was called way back then I believe). 

This was before he was poached to go and work for CUB and later other brewery such as Lithgow Brewery.  That yeast is now know as WLP059 Melbourne Ale Yeast.  Lucky for us brewers Grove Johnson had the good sense to register that strain and it still lives today in yeast vaults such as White Labs (if you can get it).

Maybe you will isolate and register new strain called greeny1525229549 ha ha.😄

Lol.. not sure about isolating a strain mate. My aim is to hopefully get something to use either by itself or in a long term co fermentation. Knowing my luck all I'll probably get is a whole heap of mold.

If I can get something then I'll grow it up a couple of times from the 250ml to do a 4L batch with just DME and about 10IBU of late hops. See what it does in that for a month or so. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 11:49 AM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Decided to try my hand today at wild yeast capture. On my walk this morning

Sounds very dynamic and dangerous when you put it like that! Or perhaps crossed between an episode of Bush Tucker Man and David Attenborough🤣 Hope you were dressed appropriately donning the khaki and long socks!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Saflager W-34/70 fermentation temp profile that I use and it gives me excellent results.  It is not a be all end all template, just what works for me.  I work on 21 day lager brewing schedule and start low and ferment slow until almost at FG then up the temp for a few days D-Rest.  Very happy with my lagers using this technique so far with Dubbya and others.

Hi Al,

Do you have a similar chart showing your pressure profile for lagers and ales?  Just got the Coopers Australian IPA with Verdant IPA yeast at 5psi at day 2.5 and want to know when I should increase the pressure to say 15 psi.

So this morning all 4 have the tell-tale bubbles on the surface. The left hand one especially.  Something is starting to eat the sugars.

20210720_070205.thumb.jpg.ccb89220b8518a598042fb7ef0550bc9.jpg

That’s really cool 😎 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Al,

Do you have a similar chart showing your pressure profile for lagers and ales?  Just got the Coopers Australian IPA with Verdant IPA yeast at 5psi at day 2.5 and want to know when I should increase the pressure to say 15 psi.

Sorry Shamus,  I cannot help you with a pressure ferment chart for lager as I have never done one.  So far I have only pressure fermented ales.  I am also not as meticulous with my pressure note taking on a daily basis as I am with my ferment temps.  I set up a spreadsheet for each brew and use it as a log rather than put the numbers into BeerSmith as this is the way I have always done it.  It has a psi column but only note some changes from time to time.

With my ales if I am dry hopping on say BD+3 I don't let the initial pressure build up to more than 7.5 psi because when the time comes to dry hop via the top gas port the pressure needs to be slowly dumped anyway.  After dry hoping and resealing the FV and after a good swirl the pressure comes back quickly and I let it climb up to about 15 psi plus but it plateau's at not much more than that as the ferment is basically done.  The FV will need to be topped up pressure wise as it cold crashes because the beer is absorbing the CO2 and I have to keep an eye on that and maybe do it 2 or 3 times otherwise it will suck in an damage the Fermzilla.

If I am not dry hopping then use a similar 7.5 psi to start with and let it creep up as the ferment progresses until the gauge maxes out and then back it off a tad to get needle off the stop pin.

When I get my big SS kegmenter I will be pressure fermenting lagers en-mass so will keep some notes and hopefully after a few batches will have worked out what pressure and what temps I need to run at.  Our pressure ferment thread on here somewhere has some contributions from the likes of @kmar92 who I know pressure ferments lagers.

When I get a good handle on the pressure and temps yes it would be a good idea to overlay the pressure on the temp chart so will do that in the future.  The temps can be quite a bit higher when fermenting under pressure so it may take some brews to dial it in and present good info/data.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

because it's lager I pitch whole thing to be on safe side by time settles down is only 3 or 4 cm of trube on bottom of yeach one.

Yeah it also allows you to start lower and let rise up rather than high and bring down. The best lagers I have made have all been pitching as much yeast as I have and pitching 2 or 3 c below my ferment temp and letting it rise by itself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

because it's lager I pitch whole thing to be on safe side by time settles down is only 3 or 4 cm of trube on bottom of yeach one.

Hey Jamie @jamiek86 mate, I've read that with Ales we can pitch about 250ml of yeast slurry, Is that right? And am I reading this correctly you're pitching much more of the slurry into your lager brews? Cheers Mick

Yeah it also allows you to start lower and let rise up rather than high and bring down. The best lagers I have made have all been pitching as much yeast as I have and pitching 2 or 3 c below my ferment temp and letting it rise by itself.

Greeny @Greeny1525229549 mate, this is really interesting stuff mate. Are you able to expand on the process. ie; amounts of slurry, temps etc TIA mate

56 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Greeny @Greeny1525229549 mate, this is really interesting stuff mate. Are you able to expand on the process. ie; amounts of slurry, temps etc TIA mate

For lagers I use the whole lot. The whole slurry. I also often pitch new wort onto the yeast cake. So when I keg off the last one I will just pitch the next one in the same fermenter. That works really well. Starts off like a rocket and is usually done within  a week. 

Lagers I try to start below or on the intended ferment temp. I do 10c for some strains and recipes I have done and 12c for others. 

• Like 4