Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

• 2 weeks later...

I went to check my brews this AM to find a beer lake. Most of my XPA found its way to the concrete. Near as I can tell, either the tap didn't reseal properly last night or there is crap in there somehow.

So my day is settled for me - clean up, get the fridges up onto the trolleys I have for them for easy moving, (something I've been meaning to do for a while and now regret hot having done) and pull all m y taps down and make damn sure they are clean.

On the bright side, I know the little tap brushes I have seal the tap pretty well - the beer was dripping from the thread at the back of the tap, not the tap part itself.

le sigh... Couldn'a happened when I had 4 kegs in there, could it? Suddenly I'm back to maybe 2/3rds of the Fix keg, bugger-all in the XPA and gonna have to raid the bottle stock until the next 2 brews are ready. Good things there are raffles on at the Club tonight & tomorrow - will ease the pressure a bit. 😄

• Like 2

Brewed this beautiful…

A9D03320-6440-4D1B-8B43-2F716391A1A9.thumb.jpeg.91959ca72af96bac1691cbd14f441520.jpeg

…choc milk vinegar. This was the batch that was doomed from the get go. It finished 10-12 points above the expected FG, despite re-pitching yeast and upping the temp. Yesterday I noticed the bottles were rock solid after just 3 days, something that is unusual for the current temps. Put one in the fridge for a few hours and it poured beautifully with a nice, thick and creamy head. It looks very inviting but tastes horrible. All bottles have a draussen on top as if they were fully active. So whatever got in the beer loves sugars and farts lots of CO2. 

62527801-47D6-44E6-87D9-E07235EB2BA7.thumb.jpeg.5193ef707b937c2a4b72d486f0a9e55e.jpeg

Well, can’t be helped, let’s move on.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Brewed this beautiful…

A9D03320-6440-4D1B-8B43-2F716391A1A9.thumb.jpeg.91959ca72af96bac1691cbd14f441520.jpeg

…choc milk vinegar. This was the batch that was doomed from the get go. It finished 10-12 points above the expected FG, despite re-pitching yeast and upping the temp. Yesterday I noticed the bottles were rock solid after just 3 days, something that is unusual for the current temps. Put one in the fridge for a few hours and it poured beautifully with a nice, thick and creamy head. It looks very inviting but tastes horrible. All bottles have a draussen on top as if they were fully active. So whatever got in the beer loves sugars and farts lots of CO2. 

62527801-47D6-44E6-87D9-E07235EB2BA7.thumb.jpeg.5193ef707b937c2a4b72d486f0a9e55e.jpeg

Well, can’t be helped, let’s move on.

You could call it QLD Green Death !!

• Haha 1

Left a fine film of dishwashing suds in a pot i used to steep/ boil some crystal malt to throw in a quick toucan vintage extract batch ..only to find my wort pot foaming with bubbles of all the colours of the rainbow🌈🤔 ..note ..Morning Fresh is super concentrated 

Edited by Breaktrainjack
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 6/24/2021 at 10:01 AM, Journeyman said:

I went to check my brews this AM to find a beer lake. Most of my XPA found its way to the concrete. Near as I can tell, either the tap didn't reseal properly last night or there is crap in there somehow.

So my day is settled for me - clean up, get the fridges up onto the trolleys I have for them for easy moving, (something I've been meaning to do for a while and now regret hot having done) and pull all m y taps down and make damn sure they are clean.

On the bright side, I know the little tap brushes I have seal the tap pretty well - the beer was dripping from the thread at the back of the tap, not the tap part itself.

le sigh... Couldn'a happened when I had 4 kegs in there, could it? Suddenly I'm back to maybe 2/3rds of the Fix keg, bugger-all in the XPA and gonna have to raid the bottle stock until the next 2 brews are ready. Good things there are raffles on at the Club tonight & tomorrow - will ease the pressure a bit. 😄

Howd ya go JM ..get stuff sorted ..hopefully ya right as rain again 

7 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

He @Journeyman I assume you are forced to drink Pub/Club swill while you wait or do you have a secret batch lurking 😄

See above post - There are a few pints left in the XPA and about half a keg of Fixation. If I'm not kegged up by the time that's gone (or if SWMBO doesn't stop sculling my brew) it will be into the stock of bottles - think there's about a doz of mixed kinds there.

Gonna have to schedule a brew or 2 into bottles once I have full kegs again, just to make sure I have stock there.

And I might have had a few too many last Thursday and Friday at the Club so I didn't drink mine when I got home. Good thing they have a Club bus to deliver me back home. 😄

Edited by Journeyman

2 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

See above post - There are a few pints left in the XPA and about half a keg of Fixation. If I'm not kegged up by the time that's gone (or if SWMBO doesn't stop sculling my brew) it will be into the stock of bottles - think there's about a doz of mixed kinds there.

Gonna have to schedule a brew or 2 into bottles once I have full kegs again, just to make sure I have stock there.

And I might have had a few too many last Thursday and Friday at the Club so I didn't drink mine when I got home. Good thing they have a Club bus to deliver me back home. 😄

Courtesy Buses are a great idea, I remember when I was travelling AUS & some of the towns in NSW in particular the Services Clubs had a great scheme whereby they would pick you up from the Pub/Motel where you were staying & deliver you to the Club, you could drink, eat & drink, did I say drink lot's of stuff at great prices & no matter how whizzed up you were they would drive home.

I am sure there is suitable punishment for SWMBO for sculling your beer, I would say if you keep doing that, no more you know what for a fortnight. 🤣

• Like 1

I found this, for some reason I picked it up years ago but I meant it light heatred.

"It's a joke, Joyce"

Punch line uttered by Grahame Kennedy to his character's (George) wife at the end of skits in, 'In Melbourne Tonight' (IMT), a popular night-time variety/talk show in Melbourne in the sixties.

Now the line has become part of the Australian vernacular, and is often uttered by people who have never seen the show.

Is used to enlighten the clueless or humourless.

• Like 1

Just now, CLASSIC said:

I found this, for some reason I picked it up years ago but I meant it light heatred.

"It's a joke, Joyce"

Punch line uttered by Grahame Kennedy to his character's (George) wife at the end of skits in, 'In Melbourne Tonight' (IMT), a popular night-time variety/talk show in Melbourne in the sixties.

Now the line has become part of the Australian vernacular, and is often uttered by people who have never seen the show.

Is used to enlighten the clueless or humourless.

Oh I knew you were joking mate. But I used to watch IMT on occasions when the rellies forgot I wasn't supposed to. We didn't have a tellie til I was 11 so I only got TV during sleepovers at other places. Apparently I wasn't supposed to understand adult humour but some of the jokes did the rounds at school. 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Well not really a fail but damn near a TKO.

Was getting two kegs ready for kegging day today, the sanitation and the CO2 purge was done to both and they were standing side by side.  Filled the first keg and went away to flush and clean my connectors and lines out.  Came back, opened the big chest freezer that I have set at 2 C and made room for one more keg, it was going to be a tight fit.  Plan was to lift the full keg up to about head height and balance it on the edge of the chest freezer then reposition my footing so I could lower it into the newly made spot. You know the drill.

With one almighty grab heaved up the empty keg instead.  Damn near gave myself an upper cut with the keg and would have lost teeth had I not quickly turned my head to the side at the surprise.  I am stronger that I think!

When, later I did the same with the full keg it was bit slower and more steady as she goes matey as the empty keg was by then put well away from the action.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Well I just dodged a serious bullet. I'm about to brew an all grain version of Landlord , found a smack pack of Wyeast 1469 mfg: November 2018 and true to form it swelled up nicely but took over a week.

I was clearing out the freezer and found a 1.5L bottle of wort that I vaguely remember putting in there months ago, so thawed it out and got out the stir plate, schott bottle to sterilise the wort in microwave, and a mighty Erlenmeyer flask to put on top of my stir plate.

I checked the clear golden wort, with refractometer, to see if it needed diluting and was surprised to see it was only 1.005.   Must be something wrong with the refrac!  I tasted the wort to see what level of sweetness.

It's chicken stock. Good job I didn't pitch the hard won 1469.  On the other hand didn't Bacchus Brewery put out a cock ale at the Scratch Bar in Brisbane?  I fished out a bag of  LDME and to my amazement found a tin of Coopers Original Series Lager in the same drawer!

It's from Grafton over two years ago when I got one as a judge at the Grafton comp.  I'll have a spare FV in a couple of days when I keg off my foreign extra stout, so I'll trick up the Coopers with a dash of Ella or something and it should be a good quaffer.
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Bribie G said:
It's chicken stock. Good job I didn't pitch the hard won 1469.  On the other hand didn't Bacchus Brewery put out a cock ale at the Scratch Bar in Brisbane? 

Plucken Hell, that was lucky!  🐔🐓🤣

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Bribie G said:

It's chicken stock

That would've been a right cock-up. Should 'flockulate' well though. 😄 

Mind you, you could 'pullet' off as a savoury sour or something... right? I mean some of the things they are making and calling beer these days, a Chicken-stock Bock would probably sell well. 😄 

• Haha 1

My fail:

I have been extremely busy at work and have let all my kegs run dry. Now to start brewing again and play catch up.

I did brew fairly recently but that was for a barrel project so it doesn't help me in the short term. 

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Hairy said:

My fail:

I have been extremely busy at work and have let all my kegs run dry. Now to start brewing again and play catch up.

I did brew fairly recently but that was for a barrel project so it doesn't help me in the short term. 

I hope you find a solution for your disorder - it must be terrible to put work before beer! 😄

• Haha 2