Coopers Community

Fail thread (mistakes you’ve made 2021)

MitchBastard

8 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Andrew also had a partner  that actually ran the homebrew side of  things  and i believe they  had a falling out and went seperate ways
and Andrew solely took on  grumpys

The other started a home brew shop on tapleys hill rd in Glenelg

Agree  the wood oven pizzas was brilliant and was very busy  place  to enjoy a drink and a feed

That was Thomas, also known as Grumpy Thomas or GT. He was a very very knowledgeable brewer.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to put the cover on my grain mill after using it yesterday.  Found a cockroach sniffing around on the bench nearby and got the bugger!  Have surface spray all around and along the benches, bench legs and floor to stop these bastard critters but this one may have been lucky and got past my defenses.  They seen to love the smell of cooking malt and are drawn in from our Bali garden nearby the brewing garage.

Made me wonder, does anybody know what EBC and what IBU a medium sized cockroach would add to the brew if one happened to be hidden inside the mill next grind?

Lucky I don't do dark malts otherwise be hard to pick.  Nah just kidding...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Today's Fail, or why the old Coopers FV taps are better. 😄

In 18 months or so, around 50 beers made, probably half in the older Coopers FV, I have never done this.

FV on chair with wheels, for moving to the man cave where the fridge is. Park chair, open door, put wood chock in place to tilt the FV backwards, turn, pick up FV, turn and go to place it in the fridge. 

Wet feet and splashing noise!

Pull FV back towards me so my t-shirt can release the flip top and stop the flow of precious wort onto me and the floor...

Put FV in fridge, go get mop and bucket. le sigh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Today's Fail, or why the old Coopers FV taps are better. 😄

In 18 months or so, around 50 beers made, probably half in the older Coopers FV, I have never done this.

FV on chair with wheels, for moving to the man cave where the fridge is. Park chair, open door, put wood chock in place to tilt the FV backwards, turn, pick up FV, turn and go to place it in the fridge. 

Wet feet and splashing noise!

Pull FV back towards me so my t-shirt can release the flip top and stop the flow of precious wort onto me and the floor...

Put FV in fridge, go get mop and bucket. le sigh.

That would have been a heart beating moment @Journeyman  we can all do without scares like that !!

18 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

That would have been a heart beating moment @Journeyman  we can all do without scares like that !!

Particularly holding 20kg of nectar at the time. 😄 There's that WTF! moment where you don't know what is going on but you DO know you can't let go. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2021 at 4:45 PM, iBooz2 said:

Forgot to put the cover on my grain mill after using it yesterday.  Found a cockroach sniffing around on the bench nearby and got the bugger!  Have surface spray all around and along the benches, bench legs and floor to stop these bastard critters but this one may have been lucky and got past my defenses.  They seen to love the smell of cooking malt and are drawn in from our Bali garden nearby the brewing garage.

Made me wonder, does anybody know what EBC and what IBU a medium sized cockroach would add to the brew if one happened to be hidden inside the mill next grind?

Lucky I don't do dark malts otherwise be hard to pick.  Nah just kidding...

Would make your beer taste like sarsaparilla, or liquorice, thats what id imagine cockroach to taste like  😆

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I've just mixed together a very simple K&K of the Devil's Half Ruby Porter with a tin of light malt extract. As it's the first time I've made this beer, as is my preference, I don't make any other additions. I like to see how each kit goes unaided before trying to pimp them.

Such is my confidence in making kits now I carelessly didn't bother checking the wort temperature before pitching the yeast. Fortunately for me it's fairly cool in Adelaide today and the tap water is also. Slapped the FV in the ferment fridge and Inkbird tells me it's 19.8C. 

Reckon I dodged a bullet there. Lucky it wasn't summer here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I've just mixed together a very simple K&K of the Devil's Half Ruby Porter with a tin of light malt extract. As it's the first time I've made this beer, as is my preference, I don't make any other additions. I like to see how each kit goes unaided before trying to pimp them.

Such is my confidence in making kits now I carelessly didn't bother checking the wort temperature before pitching the yeast. Fortunately for me it's fairly cool in Adelaide today and the tap water is also. Slapped the FV in the ferment fridge and Inkbird tells me it's 19.8C. 

Reckon I dodged a bullet there. Lucky it wasn't summer here.

Well done O Muzzled One! You could say you were lucky. On the other hand you could say your instinct ,experience and innate understanding of the seasons guided your hand. I’d claim all those things if I were you.. I did a similar thing yesterday with a pale ale. When I checked after placing the fermenter in it’s brewing spot it was 18 degrees.I looked in on it before bed and it was working beautifully. Woohoo! ( I do still get excited when a brew starts bubbling) I slept like a baby, content that all was right with the world. Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Worts and all said:

Well done O Muzzled One! You could say you were lucky. On the other hand you could say your instinct ,experience and innate understanding of the seasons guided your hand. I’d claim all those things if I were you.. I did a similar thing yesterday with a pale ale. When I checked after placing the fermenter in it’s brewing spot it was 18 degrees.I looked in on it before bed and it was working beautifully. Woohoo! ( I do still get excited when a brew starts bubbling) I slept like a baby, content that all was right with the world. Cheers.

Hahaha Worts. I'll go with lucky. LOL

• Like 1

So... I was removing 2 empty kegs from the fridge. On 1 the beer disconnect was stuck - the ring lifted but I couldn't get the bloody thing off. So, FINE! I'll take it outta there where I can get some leverage. Push in the collar on the duotight and remove the line. 

Beer sprays everywhere, not actual beer but the last gasps from the keg. Somebody, who shall remain nameless, forgot to depressurise. 😄

Frantically shove the line back in and pull the PRV. Disconnect & duotight now in the FV of sod perc that was soaking. I'm not sure if I need to replace the disc. or not - I think maybe a while back, before I knew better, I might have used it on a gas post in error - I can recall having to expend sweat to get one off a keg at one point. 

Fortunately I have replacements but hopefully it's just old beer or something sticking it.

• Haha 2

Not sure if it is classed as a fail, but woke this morning to check on my brew 'Woolager +' and notice some white stuff floating on top of test tube. Closer inspection showed fruit fly eggs had been attached to the inside of lid through the small weep hole on top. I shall use some cloth and rubber band to hold in place over the lid from now on. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Not sure if it is classed as a fail, but woke this morning to check on my brew 'Woolager +' and notice some white stuff floating on top of test tube. Closer inspection showed fruit fly eggs had been attached to the inside of lid through the small weep hole on top. I shall use some cloth and rubber band to hold in place over the lid from now on. 

Beer so good, even the flies want to drink it!!! 🦋🍻

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bought 3 new glasses today washed them thoroughly, placed in the drying rack one was a bit precarious, but I thought I will be careful. (Should of known better 🤦🏼‍♂️) Went to get a drink of water second mistake (should of grabbed a beer) took another glass off the rack and….smash. At least it wasn’t the expensive $2 Paulaner Glass🤣 Doing well that’s two glasses smashed two days🙄

F8717069-1C90-49B8-9C0D-7D31312E46A7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Bought 3 new glasses today washed them thoroughly, placed in the drying rack one was a bit precarious, but I thought I will be careful. (Should of known better 🤦🏼‍♂️) Went to get a drink of water second mistake (should of grabbed a beer) took another glass off the rack and….smash. At least it wasn’t the expensive $2 Paulaner Glass🤣 Doing well that’s two glasses smashed two days🙄

F8717069-1C90-49B8-9C0D-7D31312E46A7.jpeg

Bloody Sacrilege, I am the Glass Man & that is not acceptable, be more careful. 🥵

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Bloody Sacrilege, I am the Glass Man & that is not acceptable, be more careful. 🥵

Oh well I’ll just have to replace it with another ten then, I mean one 🤣

• Haha 2

Had a coopers lager in the fermenter for 2 days @ 20° and no action at all. I had sprinkled the yeast this time instead of rehydrating first which is my usual method.  Bugger it, will chuck more yeast in to get it going. Rehydrated a fresh pack, tossed it all in and got some action alright - frothy wort pouring out all over the place.

House CEO very unimpressed. 

• Like 1