Quack Brewer

$13 brew challenge (Home Brand Draught Kit)

On 1/8/2021 at 7:20 AM, Green Blob said:

What is the idea behind that? Rolled oats will only provide starch

Mouthfeel as the boy said. And it does. 

On 1/8/2021 at 7:20 AM, Green Blob said:

What is the idea behind that? Rolled oats will only provide starch

Are you still alive??

On 1/8/2021 at 7:44 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I guess several of us, me included, have to give this a go, once.  Once.

No. Shamus no. No!!!!

• Haha 4

On 1/8/2021 at 10:21 AM, Quack Brewer said:

I've been reading about adding oats to brew as an adjunct and I'm an absolute beginner with this. I can leave these out if it's going to be a problem - should I be looking at flaked oats or quick oats?  Looks like I've got some reading to do - thank you

A nice adjunct in stouts and darker beers. Also add mouthfeel in big Ales. Don't be afraid to use porridge in beer. Clears up good anyway. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

Could always move on to making stuff like this... Should hit that ABV your looking for 😂

If any of my home brews turned out fluoro green, or sparkly, or both, I’d give up making home brew! 😝🤣

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pale Man said:

No. Shamus no. No!!!!

Maybe I could “fall on the sword” for the team, lol.

Erm, on second thoughts, it’s a “Not yet” from me too.

🤪

• Haha 2

On 1/7/2021 at 11:27 PM, Quack Brewer said:

1.7kg  Woolies Home Brand Draught Extract Kit for $8.23

$13 brew!? Bah, “tell him he’s dream’n”.

Give me enough time, to have enough leftovers from all my other exbeeriments, and “I’ll try t make yer stinking $8.23 brew!” 🤓

Just a shame I still have 6 ish brews pending in my roadmap first!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, pilotsh said:

If any of my home brews turned out fluoro green, or sparkly, or both, I’d give up making home brew! 😝🤣

40% Midori clone and meh I made it sparkly because I can 🤣 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Mouthfeel as the boy said. And it does. 

umm, not something I'd be into

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pale Man said:

A nice adjunct in stouts and darker beers. Also add mouthfeel in big Ales. Don't be afraid to use porridge in beer. Clears up good anyway. 

3 hours ago, Green Blob said:

umm, not something I'd be into

@Pale Man and @Green Blob I have had a crack at the oats in Stout game and did not believe it made much difference...

That said I had a swag of malted Barley Malts, roasted Barley and malted Wheat in there so probs didn't really need the Oatage anyway....

But I don't reckon adding the cooked organic oats into the total grain bill at the mash stage made an ounce of difference.  Sorry.  Maybe it would to a lighter KnK recipe?

5 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

40% Midori clone and meh I made it sparkly because I can 🤣 

But I am interested SC in how you make a Spirits Clone into a Sparkly Substance that looks dangerous ; )

12 minutes ago, Smashed Crabs said:

edible glitter.

Haha that is outrageous.... what will be next... glow-in-the-dark edible glitter haha ; )

Luvyerwork SC great stuff... I suspect if you waved that bottle at me I would run in the other direction but that is not to say by any means that it's not a festive invention mate haha!!!🥳

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2021 at 2:52 PM, NicolasW said:

I think you would be better off spending some extra money on malt extract, fresh hops and yeast (or repitched yeast). Possibly a decent kit - can't really comment I've never used Woolworths kits. At end of the day if the beer is horrible and you dump it - the cost you what you have spent plus the cost of the next batch to get one batch (let alone your time wasted).

If I was going to do this I would make 2x kits up to 24- 25 L plus 10% sugar ($17). I would also look for the kits with the latest expiry date. It might be bit bitter (not sure what the IBU is) so maybe the lager kit might work better. See below (coopers kits used as a stand in):

abomination.thumb.JPG.f397c67c976eb2e583f719947027b80b.JPG 

Having said that I am genuinely interest to see how the abomination above goes. So if you go ahead with the above plan please keep us updated.

Looks to be made in Australia (maybe a coopers or brigalow rebrand?)

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/74631/woolworths-home-brew-draught

yeah, I'm still planning to make the abomination - I have decided to make the Home Brand Kit in 10L so it will have similar characteristics to the above recipe.

I don't care if it's bad, just wanting to try a few techniques and learn from the experience. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Quack Brewer said:

I don't care if it's bad, just wanting to try a few techniques and learn from the experience. 

Crap in = crap out. If your ingredients are rubbish you can't polish turds. I prefer to learn making mistakes knowing the ingredients aren't the limiting variable. Otherwise, you don't learn anything useful from the experience IMO.

What will you deduce from a crap beer - rice syrup was no good, plain sugar is a tasteless fermentable, reusing hops is a bad idea because you've already extracted everything from them on the last brew?

• Like 2

It’s $13 and a bit of effort.

Give it a go. You may like it and worst case is a tipper costing $13.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lab Cat said:

you can't polish turds

But you can roll them in glitter.

Serve the beer in a festive glass.  It will be much better for it.

• Haha 1

@Quack Brewer- How are you doing on this? Did you try it out or go for a more usual recipe?

I'm on the side of trying things out. My 2nd brew was a toucan of out-of-date old Coopers lager cans. Took a few weeks but got quite drinkable after that. I tried the woolies route once - went quite plain in the recipe and ended having to add some hops into the keg to make it drinkable. If I did it again I'd boost the recipe with a partial mash and hop tea. But I also used the woolies cans a few times as a LME substitute and that seemed to go well.