Coopers Community

$13 brew challenge (Home Brand Draught Kit)

Ok, so I found about  $13.00 in TOMKA Woolies vouchers from the "Return & Earn" (bottle recycling) machine sitting in my wallet and I got to thinking could I make a extract brew batch with the 13 bucks?

Ingredients: 

1.7kg  Woolies Home Brand Draught Extract Kit for $8.23

500 gram jar of Rice Malt Syrup $3.80

500 grams of white sugar $0.50 Cents ($1.00 per kilo)

300 grams of Rolled Oats $0.57 Cents ($1.40 per kilo)

Hops: Reboiled/ recycled dry hops from a previous Brew (and bottled): Centennial, Cascade, and Chinook (originally 15 grams of each): Free (otherwise they would have been discarded)

Rationale:

Home Brand Extract - Absolute cheapest I could find.

Rice Malt Syrup: Cheap alternative to LME which would be at least twice the price.

Cane Sugar: Cheaper than Dex (and carbonation drops), I'm hoping the hops will cover any off flavours...

Rolled Oats (steeped): to improve mouthfeel.

I'm considering what batch size to do:

Option 1: Batch Size:  10 Litres.  

Estimated OG for this batch size is 1.095 with an estimated FG of 1.027 and ABV of 9.02%

I'm tempted to do this one as I am not sure how good the Home Brand Extract is (I've never used it) and because I'm not using a lot of malt.

I'm concerned however that I'll be using the kit yeast and it may not cope with the high ABV....

Option 2.  Batch size: 20 Litres (2 x 10L in 15L craft brew fermenters)

Estimated OG for this recipe is 1.048 with an estimated FG of 1.013 and ABV of 4.51%

This batch size seems true to the concept my experiment: A cheap full-sized batch of beer.

Both batch sizes are to be brewed at 18 degrees for as long as it takes.

Any thoughts on how I could improve this recipe without breaking the budget?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Blob said:

What is the idea behind that? Rolled oats will only provide starch

I've been reading about adding oats to brew as an adjunct and I'm an absolute beginner with this. I can leave these out if it's going to be a problem - should I be looking at flaked oats or quick oats?  Looks like I've got some reading to do - thank you

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Quack Brewer said:

Looks like I've got some reading to do - thank you

You have, search for information pertaining to a cereal mash. In order to get fermentable sugars from the oats they need to be mashed with base grain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Blob said:

You have, search for information pertaining to a cereal mash. In order to get fermentable sugars from the oats they need to be mashed with base grain.

And @Quack Brewer Quack just quickly I think if you get the quick oats it will be a little easier as that whole long chain carbohydrate breakdown into smaller chain units has been begun for you already... 

• Like 2

my well-retired parents know a bloke (even older than they are) that thinks the woolies tin is the best thing going around and sadly, it is in stock in their part of victoria so i am in constant fear they are going to buy a can of this for me. in the event they do i'll make it, try a bottle and hopefully, palm rest of the batch over to them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Product Warnings

Do not bottle if SG is above 1005 as overgassed bottles could explode.

Sterilise bottles and add 6 grams of sugar to 750mL bottles or 3 grams to 375mL bottles. Fill bottles to the normal beer level and seal with crown seals. 

Invert bottles several times to dissolve sugar and store bottles upright at 25C to 35C for at least 2 weeks.

Beer is ready for consumption 2 weeks after bottling, but will mature further with longer bottle ageing.

• Haha 2

"I've been reading about adding oats to brew as an adjunct and I'm an absolute beginner with this. I can leave these out if it's going to be a problem - should I be looking at flaked oats or quick oats?"

(trying new browser & it's not showing usual buttons for quote etc.)

Oats will add mouth feel to the brew, even if you don't mash them. If you DO mash them you will need another grain in there to provide the enzymes to do conversion.

In Australia, quick oats and rolled oats have both gone through the beginnings of what might be seen as a malting process. i.e. they have been moistened then dried. The caution for oats is more to do with the USA where they have rolled oats that have not been so treated. But quick oats offer a better amount of surface area so I'd use them. Given the perceived 'quality' of the Woolies home brand it might be good to have some body in the beer. :D

AFAIK, the woolies brand is made in NZ - not positive but pretty sure way back when I saw that on the can. I was trying it out to see if it would make a cheap alternative to LME in an otherwise normal K&K brew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you would be better off spending some extra money on malt extract, fresh hops and yeast (or repitched yeast). Possibly a decent kit - can't really comment I've never used Woolworths kits. At end of the day if the beer is horrible and you dump it - the cost you what you have spent plus the cost of the next batch to get one batch (let alone your time wasted).

If I was going to do this I would make 2x kits up to 24- 25 L plus 10% sugar ($17). I would also look for the kits with the latest expiry date. It might be bit bitter (not sure what the IBU is) so maybe the lager kit might work better. See below (coopers kits used as a stand in):

abomination.thumb.JPG.f397c67c976eb2e583f719947027b80b.JPG 

Having said that I am genuinely interest to see how the abomination above goes. So if you go ahead with the above plan please keep us updated.

On 1/11/2021 at 8:23 AM, Journeyman said:

AFAIK, the woolies brand is made in NZ - not positive but pretty sure way back when I saw that on the can. I was trying it out to see if it would make a cheap alternative to LME in an otherwise normal K&K brew.

Looks to be made in Australia (maybe a coopers or brigalow rebrand?)

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/74631/woolworths-home-brew-draught

Edited by NicolasW
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lab Cat said:

Coopers are adamant they don't make kits for anyone else.

Yeah the top more looks like a Brigalow - so that seems more likely. Can't say I've brewed either the homebrand or the brigalow.

52 minutes ago, NicolasW said:

Having said that I am genuinely interest to see how the abomination above goes.

I mean your $13- Abomination in the OP not my take on a tightass beer. 

On 1/8/2021 at 4:36 PM, Stickers said:

my well-retired parents know a bloke (even older than they are) that thinks the woolies tin is the best thing going around and sadly, it is in stock in their part of victoria so i am in constant fear they are going to buy a can of this for me. in the event they do i'll make it, try a bottle and hopefully, palm rest of the batch over to them.

Stickers mate I would "cut 'em off at the pass" and let them know that Coopers Kits and Coopers liquid malt are the biz and they should tell their festive old brewing mate that... so that at least then they know the right type of tin to get for you perchance that happens.... safety first 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Stickers mate I would "cut 'em off at the pass" and let them know that Coopers Kits and Coopers liquid malt are the biz and they should tell their festive old brewing mate that... so that at least then they know the right type of tin to get for you perchance that happens.... safety first 😁

i've been slipping them the odd bottle and got some great feedback from my fair drinkum pale ale attempt #2 (photo credit: mum) and my coopers candadian with LCM and loads of cascade but there's no talking them out of something when they think i could save a few $. they'd still be drinking fosters light ice straight from the can if CUB still made it, bless.

408838599_IMG_63051.thumb.PNG.bd5593d8c6807218e2531ec00e139335.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Stickers said:

(photo credit: mum)

Do pass on thumbs up for the Beer Photo Stickers - that is good form mate!! 😋

I reckon all who receive need to provide at least one beer photo... and promise to wash out the bottles three times with warm water and then let drain haha ; )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think most of us went through a stage like this trying to make the cheapest and highest ABV beer they can but after doing it once or twice seen it wasn't the greatest of ideas. Hell I think I made a 3 can Cerveza once cause I got the kits for a couple of bucks each haha. Terrible idea btw don't recommend.  

• Haha 2