Coopers Community

1 yr old Kveik yeast

Been wanting to try Kveik yeast as keeping wort temps down is a pain in the butt, bought some GigaYeast 134 around Dec 19 & promptly forgot about it, pulled it out of the fridge on the 1st this year thinking "too long, kaput" but stuck it in a sanatised bottle with 130g of dry malt extract, shake & put in cupboard, nothing for 3 days then off she went, so, 2 days later a can of IPA, 1.5kg of LDM, a though mixing in coldish water, in went the shaken yeast starter, next morning it's humming away quite nicely, the OG is 1045 & tasted really good, will see how this turns out & will store the tubby stuff for later.

• Like 1

There's been developments! Came out on day 3. no activity, OK, I'll leave it another day then do a test & see if it's worth bottling, heard Kveik can be ready after 3 days, so, today, day 4 gave it a hydrometer test, very bubbly, not liking & gravity at 1020, liking even less, have had colder temps, 25deg, so this could be why it has stalled, googled up 'stalled brews' & a couple of ideas came up, only one I could use though, 'swirl the wort' did that & back in business! Airlock is off & running, hotter temps are forecast so they might help, but swirling the wort might work if your brew stalls.

Things I'm taking away from this, if the gravity test is fizzy & bubbly the brew could go longer even if the gravity is at 1010-1012 it might drop lower with a bit more time, it might explain bottle bombs even though you have done everything right. I usually leave brews to go 2 weeks before bottling, but that's just me, this Kveik is a new ball game to experiment with.

Edited by Geoff S
More info

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this has been interesting, it's day 15 & sg is down to 1000, I've testing & retesting each sg test to make sure bubbles are not interfering with the test & it's slowly been coming down, bottling tomorrow, it's been tasting great, I could drink it straight from the fermenter, but that might be just me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Geoff S said:

Well, this has been interesting, it's day 15 & sg is down to 1000, I've testing & retesting each sg test to make sure bubbles are not interfering with the test & it's slowly been coming down, bottling tomorrow, it's been tasting great, I could drink it straight from the fermenter, but that might be just me.

Let us know how it goes GS - sounds good - be interested to see how the Kveik performed mate. Cheers ; )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a week since bottling, had to give it a go, usually when I drink a 7 day bottle I get 'a bit green but good' this bottle was 'Yeah! not bad!' give 'em another week & see how it is, so far the Kveik yeast has been a winner, more experimenting(and drinking)needed.

• Haha 1