BE2
LDM 500g
2 Row pale 1kg
Light Crystal 300g
BE-134 Yeast
Citra and Amarillo

329844166_funkytown1.JPG.e0d09d05a76064f8fa16f5d24ecf88d9.JPG

1503353968_funkytown2.JPG.11d98bbf11754edc9026f3b3dd1623a3.JPG

Now the training wheels are off it's time to attempt something a bit different. Spreadsheet math suggests it is do-able. I already have the yeast, light crystal and hops so its about a $40 investment to try something a bit funky.

Would dry hop with about 20g of citra.

Any suggestions/thoughts welcome..

• Like 1

You have a few extra ingredients in the spreadsheet that you didn’t list.

Personally I would scrap the maltodextrin; you don’t really need it in a Saison. I would replace it with some wheat malt if you have some.

And don’t be surprised if it finishes a lot lower than 1009, although I don’t have any experience with that particular yeast.

Good luck with it. It should be a nice beer.

5 minutes ago, Hairy said:

You have a few extra ingredients in the spreadsheet that you didn’t list.

Personally I would scrap the maltodextrin; you don’t really need it in a Saison. I would replace it with some wheat malt if you have some.

And don’t be surprised if it finishes a lot lower than 1009, although I don’t have any experience with that particular yeast.

Good luck with it. It should be a nice beer.

the dex/maltodex is part of the 1kg Brew Enhancer 2 and then planning on adding a box of coopers LDM. the only other grain i have on hand are reds (cara red, cara aroma and red x) and would rather save those for irish reds down the track

• Like 1

Just now, Stickers said:

the dex/maltodex is part of the 1kg Brew Enhancer 2 and then planning on adding a box of coopers LDM. the only other grain i have on hand are reds (cara red, cara aroma and red x) and would rather save those for irish reds down the track

I get it now. Carry on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

IMG_6996.thumb.jpg.3ec12e2dbcc5f8ea9f29bdbb2d19c204.jpg

first pour, i forgot to add the crystal malt so it's a 6.2% rathar than 6.7%. first pour and taste tonight.

ferment time: 15 days. time in bottles: 19 days

will review later, can say from the very first sip this tastes nothing like anything i've made before and first impressions suggest it is a success!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Stickers said:

first pour, i forgot to add the crystal malt so it's a 6.2% rathar than 6.7%. first pour and taste tonight.

will review later, can say from the very first sip this tastes nothing like anything i've made before and first impressions suggest it is a success!

TOP stuff - you don't need crystal, saison should be DRY

• Like 2

Just now, Green Blob said:

TOP stuff - you don't need crystal, saison should be DRY

thanks and appreciated 🙂 it didn't bother me at the time that i'd forgotten and glad i stuck with just the 2 row. its got a bit of a banana like flavour going on and yeah.. dry is a good way of putting it. and it's probably the clearest brew i've done. very happy at the moment.

IMG_6997.thumb.jpg.9cc81892b36c1b56d152eefed86e158a.jpg

• Like 2

having used all these ingredients before with ale yeasts, i actually had no idea that changing to a different yeast strain could give a totally different flavour profile. like off the charts different and not just like how alt rock and nu rock are different. i'm a little smashed. anyway, here's wonderwall

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, Stickers said:

That’s awesome mate my next brew will be a Saison Dupont clone which will be my first Saison can’t wait. It will be all Pilsner malt pretty simple and dry so I think it was a good thing you didn’t put the crystal in as GB has already stated. 

Well done and enjoy 🍻 

6 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

That’s awesome mate my next brew will be a Saison Dupont clone which will be my first Saison can’t wait. It will be all Pilsner malt pretty simple and dry so I think it was a good thing you didn’t put the crystal in as GB has already stated. 

Well done and enjoy 🍻 

cheers, i've got a couple of mates expressing interest in trying some after i posted a pic on insta so will be great to get some feedback from the friends. it is more a one bottle a night brew too, so this batch will last awhile 🙂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stickers said:

cheers, i've got a couple of mates expressing interest in trying some after i posted a pic on insta so will be great to get some feedback from the friends. it is more a one bottle a night brew too, so this batch will last awhile 🙂

Yeah I know what you mean by one bottle a night but I am intrigued by the style and can’t wait to make it myself😎

• Like 1