Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

On 11/12/2021 at 10:17 PM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Asian lager put down today. Simple recipe. 3kg pilsener, 1kg woolies white rice. Started with rice in 15L with 100gm of pilsener at 70c. Held for 20 mins then rise to 98c to cook through. Water added to 25L and temp back to 64c. Added the 2.9kg pilsener and mashed for 60 mins. 10gm magnum and a 20gm centennial addition at whirlpool for 10 mins. Unfortunately no starter so cheated and decanted off 2.5L and cooled and added a half pack or M84 bohemian to the starter. Will pitch in the morning with the other half of the pack. Wort was super clear which is nice 

20211112_214530.jpg

I am going to have a go at one of these Asian style lagers soon.

Just interested in what your boil time was given the pilsner malt used @Greenyinthewestofsydney ?

Also how long did you boil your 3 L starter wort for?  I think I have been boiling my starter wort a little too long and it darkens up too much.  Given this is a lighter coloured beer style I am thinking just enough to sanitise it so hence the question.  TIA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

DD0942C2-50DE-4FA7-980B-8A8674D2A1D8.jpeg

Not being picky here @Red devil 44 , but why the hop spider drowned so deep in the wort?  The way I see it all the hop matter will just float out so a moot point using it pretty much.  If you clamp the spiders handle up a bit to the edge of the kettle it will not be like going commando with your hop boils and keep any litter floaties in the spider.  You could bend the handle to suit if you are always doing the same depth batches but a clamp will allow depth variations so that is probably the best option for you.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2021 at 9:52 PM, stquinto said:

First BIAB effort yesterday. An Old Peculier clone. og old perc.jpg

Congratulations @stquinto on your first crack at an AG brew.  Hope it turns out superb for you come drinking time.

Just an observation of your SG sample, it has a lot of hot break in there. 

What I find is after the boil put the lid on and wait until all the residual convection heat stops stirring it all up in the wort (which occurs until it gets down to about 90 C)   Keep the lid on until the wort temp gets down to about the mid 80 C then I give it a whirlpool stir with my spoon and put the lid back on.  This causes most of the break matter to drop and move into the middle of your kettle.  After several minutes lift the lid off and check to see how clear it is and then transfer to you FV or cube before temp drops too much more.  This technique results in a much clearer wort.

Other more experienced BIAB brewers may like to add their comments to help you further.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Not being picky here @Red devil 44 , but why the hop spider drowned so deep in the wort?  The way I see it all the hop matter will just float out so a moot point using it pretty much.  If you clamp the spiders handle up a bit to the edge of the kettle it will not be like going commando with your hop boils and keep any litter floaties in the spider.  You could bend the handle to suit if you are always doing the same depth batches but a clamp will allow depth variations so that is probably the best option for you.

Cheers @iBooz2for the tip, I shall clamp it a bit further up as you said next brew. 👍👍

Still getting the hang of AG, but I am happy with my results so far. 

• Like 2

got up early, started a 5 hour roast beef lunch and did a kit kilo and partial by the time to clock struck noon.

IMG_8756.thumb.jpg.069505bd0032a4ac90f397df1f4ee0d3.jpg

8 hours in and it's rocketing along. i've started using a second packet of kit r007 yeast because i have so many in the fridge and gone back to rehydrating the yeast to get the action kicking off a bit quicker. 5 hour roast beef was a winner, too.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I am going to have a go at one of these Asian style lagers soon.

Just interested in what your boil time was given the pilsner malt used @Greenyinthewestofsydney ?

Also how long did you boil your 3 L starter wort for?  I think I have been boiling my starter wort a little too long and it darkens up too much.  Given this is a lighter coloured beer style I am thinking just enough to sanitise it so hence the question.  TIA.

I boil for 90 but put the bittering hops in at 60. I was having clarity issues with the rice and somebody here suggested a 90 min boil and it worked wonders. I also used to fast chill these but the last couple I have no chilled and added gelatine to the keg. Clarity has been pretty good but not super clear like the fast chilled ones.

The starter was decanted off the main wort which had already been boiled into an already sanitised erlenmeyer. Just got it back to the boil and gave it a couple of mins to make sure it killed everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chucked on a new world lager today. 

• 700g Crisp best ale malt
  • 600g Gladfield Pilsner malt 
  • 250g carapils 

60 min mash at 65 degrees C, 30 min boil

• 10g Galaxy @ 30 mins
  • 10g Cascade @ 5 mins
  • 13g Wakatu flameout (because that’s what was left in the bag)
  • 10g Motueka flameout 

20 min hot steep, then cool and into the FV with…

• Coopers liquid malt extract 1.5 kg
  • 500g LDME
  • 100g Dextrose 

Repitched w34/70 to ferment at 13 degrees C 

A0F56115-01D3-4485-AB52-44A34E78F147.thumb.jpeg.898f36df96011d186a8eb9fd96fb3c28.jpeg

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Doing a wattle saison today. 19L batch. Want to see what this yeast will throw on a simple low hopped saison and want to see 2hat happens over 5 or 6 months

3kg pilsener 

1kg wheat malt

60 min 5g magnum

FO 15g centennial

1.5L starter of wattle yeast

Start ferment at 18c and free rise it from there

How many generations are you up to with the yeast Greeny? I’d be interested to hear if it becomes more funky or less funky with each generation….best of luck 👍

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

How many generations are you up to with the yeast Greeny? I’d be interested to hear if it becomes more funky or less funky with each generation….best of luck 👍

This is the 3rd mate. The 2nd is sitting in a flanders red ale which is 4 months in the fermenter at the moment. Will let you know mate.

• Like 2

OK time to fess up, sorry fellow (ex) kits and bits people. I have moved to the dark side and completed my 1st AG attempt today! A modest attempt at a pale ale with some Veloria Schooner, Munich, Caramunich and a dash of Carapils. Bittered with Centennial and some whirlpool additions of Centennial, Cascade and Citra. Went well with a few bumps along the way. I have a cube of AG goodness that will be ready for the fermenter tomorrow.

1730e.JPG

1732e.JPG

1735e.JPG

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

OK time to fess up, sorry fellow (ex) kits and bits people. I have moved to the dark side and completed my 1st AG attempt today! A modest attempt at a pale ale with some Veloria Schooner, Munich, Caramunich and a dash of Carapils. Bittered with Centennial and some whirlpool additions of Centennial, Cascade and Citra. Went well with a few bumps along the way. I have a cube of AG goodness that will be ready for the fermenter tomorrow.

1730e.JPG

Brew sounds yummy Kmar.  Nice piece of kit you've got there too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kmar92 said:

1730e.JPG

1732e.JPG

1735e.JPG

looks really good set up mate    and your brew sounds good as well

and welcome to the right side of brewing lol  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kmar92 said:

1730e.JPG

1732e.JPG

1735e.JPG

Nice work mate, I have that burner it’s a beast. It’s barely lit and it still holds a boil. I don’t have a pump though or the electric heating element and assume you are using a basket not a bag. Well done 👍 on the first batch of AG it’s amazing to make it from scratch, especially if you enjoy the process.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, terminal2k said:

those are horrible. send me your address and I'll come round and dispose of some of it for you

Yeah but painful to make. I've made a few batches now and not nailed it. And at 6+ months each batch it becomes frustrating when they turn out a bit meh. All have been nice but none great. The quest continues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yeah but painful to make. I've made a few batches now and not nailed it. And at 6+ months each batch it becomes frustrating when they turn out a bit meh. All have been nice but none great. The quest continues.

I tip my hat to ya👍

• Like 2

On 11/8/2021 at 7:44 PM, MitchBastard said:

American Red IPA with an abbey ale yeast.

Sounds absolutely fabulous...

I threw a Pacific Ale (all vienna) on Mangrove's Hophead dregs. Not sure if that was a good move as the yeast is packed full of enzymesz but needs must be met.

• Haha 2