Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

On 10/23/2021 at 6:52 PM, Hilltop hops said:

Cascade APA brewday. Haven't done an AG for a few months. Used Coopers Pale malt for the first time. 

HH, what did you sub the Coopers Pale malt for in that recipe as its not listed?  I presume the bigger chunk of grain weight i.e the 5 kg Joe White pale.

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Brew day yet again today – Another Leighs Lager, a double keg batch.

In time for Christmas breakup for the boys.

Batch # 66 - AG Batch #25

Volume: 44 L

Estimated specs:  OG = 1.044, FG = 1.007, ABV = 4.9%, EBC = 9.3, IBU = 22.2, BU:GU = 0.523

Grains: VIC ale malt = 6.30 kg, Maris Otter (SIMP) = 1.20 kg, Carapils = 0.50 kg, Light Crystal 88 ebc = 0.15 kg

Mash schedule: AR = 50 C for 10”, 65 C for 60”, MO = 78 C for 10’

Boil: 60”

Hops schedule: 12 g x Super Pride (14.5%) for 60”, 35 g x PoR (9.0%) for 10” 

White can sugar 0.40 kg at 15”, Yeast nutrient 5.0 g at 15”, Whirlfloc 1.4 g at 5”

Yeast: Recycled W-34/70 from double batch of Royal Lager batch #62

Mash In - resized.jpg

Draining the grain bed - resized.jpg

Hop Hoop in action - resized.jpg

Hop Hoop sock into coffee plunger 2 - resized.jpg

Trub remaining after 2 x 22 L cubes - resized.jpg

Hope the lads can get together and have a few in Leigh’s honour @iBooz2 Boozer 👍👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

HH, what did you sub the Coopers Pale malt for in that recipe as its not listed?  I presume the bigger chunk of grain weight i.e the 5 kg Joe White pale.

Yeah used the Coopers Pale instead of the JW. Couldn't find Coopers on the Brewfather app. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Yeah used the Coopers Pale instead of the JW. Couldn't find Coopers on the Brewfather app. 

HH, FYI, you can add your own grain specifications, just need the numbers that the software wants to know and you are good to go for the future brews using a new malt.  Hope the brew turns out a rippa BTW.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hope the lads can get together and have a few in Leigh’s honour @iBooz2 Boozer 👍👍

Yeah thanks TB,  He was a chippy and hopefully we can get all his tradie mates together in December as we had no chance of a wake in and under Melbourne lockdown rules so it would be good if they can all turn up and share a LL or three.

I see you had a go at a K&K partial version and you liked it.

TIP: Using another high AA hop as the bittering hop in just small amounts to get you where it needs to be IBU wise and then a good hit of PoR late is the key to a good pub style beer.  Took me a few versions before they all started to front up for another glass or two then and all of a sudden they mostly wanted to become home brewers so it says something for the beer.  If they ask you to teach them to brew a beer like this then you know you are close to the mark.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yeah thanks TB,  He was a chippy and hopefully we can get all his tradie mates together in December as we had no chance of a wake in and under Melbourne lockdown rules so it would be good if they can all turn up and share a LL or three.

I see you had a go at a K&K partial version and you liked it.

TIP: Using another high AA hop as the bittering hop in just small amounts to get you where it needs to be IBU wise and then a good hit of PoR late is the key to a good pub style beer.  Took me a few versions before they all started to front up for another glass or two then and all of a sudden they mostly wanted to become home brewers so it says something for the beer.  If they ask you to teach them to brew a beer like this then you know you are close to the mark.

Cheers Booza. Next one I think I will bitter with super pride and then PoR with 10 minutes to go. What IBU do you aim for?

32 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Cheers Booza. Next one I think I will bitter with super pride and then PoR with 10 minutes to go. What IBU do you aim for?

Version #1 IBU was 18.4 using W-34/70

Version #2 IBU was 24.2 using W-34/70

Version #3 IBU was 24.2 using W-34/70

Version #4 IBU was 24.2 using Diamond Lager Yeast  *****THIS ONE OUTSTANDING IMO******

Version #5 IBU was 24.2 using W-34/70 exact same recipe but a double batch 44 L and first one I did under pressure and initially tasted a bit bland but ok after a couple of weeks in the keg.

Version #6 IBU is 22.2 (latest batch just mashed) so not fermented yet.  Also a double batch 44 L and I am keen to do a pressure ferment using the Diamond Lager Yeast again to see it this yeast is what makes this beer fly.  Also keen to try the MJ84 Bohemian Lager Yeast with this exact recipe so I can compare.

So #4 is the benchmark for me and notably it was using the Diamond Lager Yeast and was the exact same recipe as # 3 and #5 but it was the one that has stood out.  I suggest you do another of yours using two packs of Diamond Lager Yeast and see what you think of those babies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Version #1 IBU was 18.4 using W-34/70

Version #2 IBU was 24.2 using W-34/70

Version #3 IBU was 24.2 using W-34/70

Version #4 IBU was 24.2 using Diamond Lager Yeast  *****THIS ONE OUTSTANDING IMO******

Version #5 IBU was 24.2 using W-34/70 exact same recipe but a double batch 44 L and first one I did under pressure and initially tasted a bit bland but ok after a couple of weeks in the keg.

Version #6 IBU is 22.2 (latest batch just mashed) so not fermented yet.  Also a double batch 44 L and I am keen to do a pressure ferment using the Diamond Lager Yeast again to see it this yeast is what makes this beer fly.  Also keen to try the MJ84 Bohemian Lager Yeast with this exact recipe so I can compare.

So #4 is the benchmark for me and notably it was using the Diamond Lager Yeast and was the exact same recipe as # 3 and #5 but it was the one that has stood out.  I suggest you do another of yours using two packs of Diamond Lager Yeast and see what you think of those babies.

Cheers AL, 
Great info, much appreciated. I will Ave to give the diamond lager yeast a go by the sounds of it 👍

• Like 1

Well, thanks to COVID/Lockdown and over stretched courier services my AG order seems to have gone astray; it's been over a week now and still no sign of it. 🤨

I really need to get my stocks back up so I can't afford to wait any longer so it was back to basics today with a quick kit brew paired with a can of "food grade" maltexo!  The only hop I had on hand is Pacific Jade so I'll call this one "Jade Ale":

• Coopers Real Ale
  • 1.5kg Maltexo
  • 20g Pacific Jade @5mins
  • 20g Pacific Jade FO
  • Kveik Voss

Doesn't get much simpler than that! 

image.png.c09590a47a12bcb2a8bebceb87bbc7e4.png

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Cheers AL, 
Great info, much appreciated. I will Ave to give the diamond lager yeast a go by the sounds of it 👍

Thanks TB, you have reminded me to check my stock of Diamond Lager yeast and I have 5 sachets so the next LL in the big 58 L kegmenter will be done with diamond so I can compare a pressure ferment with the previous Dubbya.  Just have to make a 2 L starter then a 3 L the same as I did with the Dubbya so I can compare apple with apples.  I will use the same pressure and temp profile as the Dubbya batch so basically the only change will be the yeast.  Stay tuned...

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 1:47 PM, BlackSands said:

Well, thanks to COVID/Lockdown and over stretched courier services my AG order seems to have gone astray; it's been over a week now and still no sign of it. 🤨

I really need to get my stocks back up so I can't afford to wait any longer so it was back to basics today with a quick kit brew paired with a can of "food grade" maltexo!  The only hop I had on hand is Pacific Jade so I'll call this one "Jade Ale":

Of course, my AG order turns up the very next day! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, terminal2k said:

so you complain on here and it gets sorted the next day? let me try. I still haven't received my big cheque from winning powerball.

It's a spurious correlation I know,  but it does seem to work!  Hope you share your winnings!

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 1

Recipe: Catharina Sour

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 4.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          60.0 %        1.96 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          40.0 %        1.30 L        
5.00 g           Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          4.9 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philly Sour yeast and some fruit.

Recipe: IPA
Brewer: Grumpy

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.085 SG
Estimated Color: 11.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 99.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
5.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          64.5 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          12.9 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         3          12.9 %        0.65 L        
0.75 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         4          9.7 %         0.49 L        
15.00 ml         Centennial Hop Extract [48.80 %] (CO2 Extract) - Hop           5          57.2 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Cashmere [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 9 Hop           6          11.0 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min Hop           7          13.3 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Idaho Gem [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, Hop           8          18.2 IBUs     -             

----------------------------------------------------------------

Saison yeast

• Like 4

Had a go at a Tripel today as I bought some Bastogne whitelabs yeast for half price a while back. So I made a starter and that fired up no worries. Had a go at making candy which was a success. Didn’t read @Greenyinthewestofsydney post about adding water to make syrup until too late anyway more on that later. So anyway mashed grains and boil no worry’s until last five minutes when I added the candy. I turned the flame off to stop scorching, problem was I dropped a whole container of it in and ended up with a large glob which I had to chase around the kettle until it dissolved. So then I started the  flame up again to complete the boil and the wort started to darken. Flame off immediately and thought it will be fine. Cooled it down and transferred to fermenter and pitched my yeast starter. Its now off and racing after 6 hours. Was a bit short on my OG but no worries it’s still going to be at least 7.5%. Wort tasted pretty good with no burnt taste or smell I think I escaped jail there. Things I learnt will probably be use a hop spider to drop the candy in next time or maybe dissolve in a separate saucepan under low heat or a bag perhaps or try greenys syrup method. Cheers guys any advice is welcome and can’t wait to try it when it’s ready never made a Belgium before 😋 I mashed at 67 not 65 in the recipe.

D1B2B850-3F52-4373-A3B6-6031C1C5FC91.jpeg

D3C5245A-5A61-442F-8F13-0C62B5A32762.jpeg

C2992F39-9E86-4BBB-98B6-AF6335D7B307.jpeg

A86BC32B-55BB-4EFD-9F11-78B04B6735C5.jpeg

429B582B-4A46-4C63-81D1-419A64E5506A.jpeg

911D1358-E6FD-4EF1-BBB6-7B7E0D5BA6EF.jpeg

C7F5588C-7D9C-42C7-9D05-8852978192CD.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

Brew Day

Started by washing some bottles my neighbour gave me, very dirty but using some of the hints from You all, they came clean. Then bottled a Coopers Pale. Cleaned up and put down another Pale.

Added 500g of Light Dry Malt and 500g of BE3. 15g of NZ hops, Boiled for 15min.

First time I've seen the LDM in Big W. Didn't realise it was only 500g. So added the extra BE3. Do you think I should have added the full pack of BE3 ??

Finished off the day with a taste of the Real Ale, that's has been ageing for three weeks now. Nice, good head, still tasted a bit "fresh"

Will give it another week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Brew Day

Started by washing some bottles my neighbour gave me, very dirty but using some of the hints from You all, they came clean. Then bottled a Coopers Pale. Cleaned up and put down another Pale.

Added 500g of Light Dry Malt and 500g of BE3. 15g of NZ hops, Boiled for 15min.

First time I've seen the LDM in Big W. Didn't realise it was only 500g. So added the extra BE3. Do you think I should have added the full pack of BE3 ??

Finished off the day with a taste of the Real Ale, that's has been ageing for three weeks now. Nice, good head, still tasted a bit "fresh"

Will give it another week.

1kg of fermentables would be enough, otherwise you whack up the ABV. Good to see you were able to use the bottles, sometimes you can never get enough !

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

1kg of fermentables would be enough, otherwise you whack up the ABV. Good to see you were able to use the bottles, sometimes you can never get enough !

Good to know I did the right thing, thanks

I have been struggling with bottles but the nice guy next door has a stock pile, he was going to brew but hasn't got the time right now, good for me. Sadly he has never rinsed any of the bottles, took some cleaning.

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good to know I did the right thing, thanks

I have been struggling with bottles but the nice guy next door has a stock pile, he was going to brew but hasn't got the time right now, good for me. Sadly he has never rinsed any of the bottles, took some cleaning.

Yeah some people don't understand with bottles, if you are going to re-use them they need to be stored correctly, even if they had been rinsed & stored upside down or in boxes they would have been much easier to clean - then there is Beer Clean.

A dodgy bottle is like a dodgy glass, it will kill your chances of a nice creamy head.

I realise you are aware of the cleaning process but this may help somebody.

Cheers.

https://content.kegworks.com/blog/beer-clean-glass

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2

Hoegaarden 2.0

Maybe more of an Aussie Wheat Beer given the Pride of Ringwood.  I was low on hops and it was all I had.

I cubed this one for fermenting next weekend.  I was going to do a starter using the Lallemand Munich Wheat yeast I top-cropped a few months ago.  I actually got to the point of pitching the yeast into the starter wort, but I smelled the yeast and thought perhaps not.  The smell was just not right.  I was not worried about wasting the starter wort, it was more about what if I pitched the starter into the whole cube of wort.  That might have been a waste.

Where can I get a fresh Lallemand Munich Wheat on Sunday in Melbourne?  Worst case, I have got 2 x 15g packets of Safbrew WB-06 Wheat yeast in the fridge.

660589128_B1Pic.jpg.cc24106a558bbfb9376a7a5187b285b7.jpg

179075859_B2OGs.jpg.71c0cd51ebff7cedad219a671b64b2fe.jpg

1719662015_B2Malts.jpg.392a6d20b0192df9466c3f532df8481f.jpg

2012017557_B3Hops.jpg.0203be64a6eb4391ab3af5d128d10dd0.jpg

1296142183_B5Others.jpg.98293a4a46f2381ba44fd398f32a089e.jpg

1206919198_B6Yeast.jpg.c98fec9da258d88e5cc038b7c60a7d8a.jpg

1. About to dough-in.  Rice hulls at the ready.
  2. Sample into freezer to cool for pH testing.
  3. Just at the start of the mash.
  4. Stirring in the proteins just as it boils.
  5. Cleaning after the brew.
  6. Filled cube, on its side, to pasteurise the cube's handle.

69327458_Hoegaarden2.0Brewday.jpg.d72684efa65d70f2e97cd2b48b9b44fc.jpg

• Like 6

West Coast IPA - Fresh Wort Kit.

I just ordered one of these to give it a try, I think I have seen some posts regarding this brew, this is the info available so I will use my favourite US-05 & add some hops. Looking forward to trying one of these, probably go to 20l.

WEST COAST IPA Fresh Wort Kit

“Dank Pine, Grapefruit and Passionfruit”

This West Coast IPA packs a hop punch. All hop lovers need to get their hands on this amazing FWK

Current IBU: 50

Malts  Ale, Wheat, Crystal, Gladiator
Hops – Warrior, Centennial, Citra, Ahtanum
Dry Hop Suggestion – 100g Centennial, 100g Citra, 100g Ahtanum

Recommended Yeast – LalBrew BRY-97 West Coast, M44 US West Coast, Safale US-05

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 7:40 PM, Aussiekraut said:

This looks rather close to the top and pretty vigorous? What are the mash and boil volumes and how much grain? Looks like an exercise in pushing a Guten to the limits 🙂 

Haha yeah mate, dunno if I’d get much more grain in. Was just over 7kg at 3.8l per kilo for the mash. I probably over sparked a bit cause I don’t remember it bein g this full last time. 

shoukd be kegging this week

• Like 1