Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

MJ Blonde Dry

I have 1 x can of this left as a result of a bulk buy special recently, I have 1 x carton Longnecks left & I bottled another 30 yesterday.

I want to turn this one into something a bit different with a bit more kick although it is not a bad drop - they describe as " A light coloured crisp tasting, dry style lager "   I was thinking a toucan but undecided what to pair it with.

I have LME & hops & will be using US-05. I realise it will lose the light colour.  Coopers Mexican Cerveza would be my first choice but I was thinking BE2 would help as well. 

Today's brews are an XPA clone - my 10th I think - as close to the recipe as I could given a bit of extra malt. And a Brew A-based IPA using mosaic as a tea. I thought about maybe mosaic in the boil but it's already at 51.8 IBU so just the tea.

Both brews have coopers Ale malt along with some oats as a partial mash - 1.5kg Ale and 400g oats, split evenly between the 2 brews.

2 Coopers FV's fit in the trolley as if made for it. 😄

• Like 3

On 10/7/2021 at 3:43 PM, Journeyman said:

Both brews have coopers Ale malt along with some oats as a partial mash - 1.5kg Ale and 400g oats, split evenly between the 2 brews.

I hadn't really thought of the time savings that could be had by splitting a partial between 2 K+K brews before. i'm certainly thinking about it now! one setup, two brews.

• Like 1

Brew day today I am doing the hoppy days captain responsible recipe with a few tweaks and cut the alcohol down to 3.5 percent for a session beer. Should be interesting with the Mosaic and Cashmere in there can’t wait. I received a PLAATO Airlock for my birthday but I use the coopers fermenter (no airlock) normally. So after a lot of mucking around and measuring found a cheap 25litre bucket that fits in my fridge by millimetres so see how it goes. To be honest I prefer the coopers fermenter but will give it a try. Brew day went well bang on my numbers. I did a full volume mash as well. @Itinerant Peasant I will let you know how it goes as a light beer 🍻 Never thought I would have an airlock that’s worth more than my fridge and fermenter which is still being supported by two full xxxx gold cans🤣

84B74947-4526-4D3A-BA42-2535335A36D0.png

F6CAC7C3-C034-43DA-ADD1-E993C2893C7A.png

F62385A7-3F09-4A21-9B41-AB1B768AE703.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, RDT2 said:

So after a lot of mucking around and measuring found a cheap 25litre bucket that fits in my fridge by millimetres so see how it goes.

@RDT2 have you thought about how you are going to do your dry hopping?  Can you do it without lifting the FV out?  I have a similar problem with my Coopers FV and small FV fridge.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@RDT2 have you thought about how you are going to do your dry hopping?  Can you do it without lifting the FV out?  I have a similar problem with my Coopers FV and small FV fridge.

I lift it out, it’s a pain but not too bad at this stage. I might be able to peel the lid back perhaps but then I worry about the hop bag hitting stuff on the way in don’t want to compromise sanitation but I probably worry too much.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

First AG brew day underway, just supervising the mash with a Raspberry Berliner Weisse Beer.

CheersRD44🍻

05B5379F-3078-46AF-B88E-90301E0094A5.jpeg

Just looking at that photo makes me want a Berliner Weisse nice colour and looks sooo tasty 😋 

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

All looks like it's going well @Red devil 44 keep us posted, Cheers.

Yeah went well, was a little under my 22L, did my calculations but just a tad out, rookie AG dude I guess.

‘But all confident, and it was a good learning curve and I took notes ( as I do ) along the way to enhance my knowledge.

‘I had some help along the way, special shout out to  @Aussiekrautfor his assistance, cheers mate, you are a legend  👍

Took me 4.5 hrs but I did stuff in between, I reckon once I get better that time will reduce.

I cleaned as I went so was only 45mins clean up the end, I have another AG & I may have another crack tomorrow at the Stone &Wood Clone.

Overall so far, happy with the Digiboil. 

• Like 5

On 9/4/2021 at 3:22 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Samuel Adams Boston Lager clone

bl1.jpg.d6dd9944329f9379d6fe791bb9efd816.jpgbl2.jpg.d8c89d14462156da0fb88b90a487751b.jpgbl3.jpg.1f0c26d5be7553d3cca0abe7be880ee8.jpgbl4.jpg.28cfda1f0d2b4fe2488fb6a8d9c8a07c.jpgbl5.jpg.af3ae7aedafe5f14b10c3733cb7ce46a.jpg

Brew day not without issues.  I noticed my grain crush seemed a bit fine.  Plenty of husks so I did not worry about it too much.  Last Mash step was meant to be 28 minutes.  Ended up going for about 90 minutes, between stirring the mash a few times and trying to get the grain bed to filter the wort.

IMG_2567.JPG.0b049e485edda702632539a6963e02b8.JPG  Very hazy milky wort

IMG_2568.JPG.98d23aba2086fa7a52df1dd7a2feed7f.JPG  Got it to start to clear up by Mash-Out

IMG_2569.JPG.3790cfce3983088632fa872140821f39.JPG  Got wort down to about 18°C

IMG_2570.JPG.8d7bde10e31cdb912be661ebf4f65aec.JPG  Turned out I got about 24 or so litres of wort at 1.055, which was a bit high.

Decided to chuck in some extra water (2 litres) into the fermenter.  Ended up with 26.8 litres of wort at 1.050.

Also used a coffee plunger for the first time to squeeze out liquid from the hop sock (paint strainer bag).  Very easy.

@Shamus O'Sean Shamus mate, quick question: I fancy doing a Sam Adams BIAB but as I don’t have temperature control for fermenting (don’t normally need it) so I would need wait until this winter for my fermenting room to be cool enough (February in Switzerland is an appropriate temperature). Would you really be straing off the recipe to use a different yeast? 
I’ve got MJ 54 (Californian Lager yeast but for 18-20 degrees), Windsor, Notty, US-05, as well as different Belgian-style ones. 
Cheers! 👍

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah went well, was a little under my 22L, did my calculations but just a tad out, rookie AG dude I guess.

‘But all confident, and it was a good learning curve and I took notes ( as I do ) along the way to enhance my knowledge.

‘I had some help along the way, special shout out to  @Aussiekrautfor his assistance, cheers mate, you are a legend  👍

Took me 4.5 hrs but I did stuff in between, I reckon once I get better that time will reduce.

I cleaned as I went so was only 45mins clean up the end, I have another AG & I may have another crack tomorrow at the Stone &Wood Clone.

Overall so far, happy with the Digiboil. 

Nice work lads. Good team effort by the sounds 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stquinto said:

@Shamus O'Sean Shamus mate, quick question: I fancy doing a Sam Adams BIAB but as I don’t have temperature control for fermenting (don’t normally need it) so I would need wait until this winter for my fermenting room to be cool enough (February in Switzerland is an appropriate temperature). Would you really be straing off the recipe to use a different yeast? 
I’ve got MJ 54 (Californian Lager yeast but for 18-20 degrees), Windsor, Notty, US-05, as well as different Belgian-style ones. 
Cheers! 👍

Hey Sainter. I’ve tried both M54 and Nottingham. My choice would be the Nottingham if you can keep it at 19 degrees or below. I found the m54 not as clean and also was more cloudy - as in the sediment in the bottles really stirred up easily. Just my 2c worth. Cheers 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Hey Sainter. I’ve tried both M54 and Nottingham. My choice would be the Nottingham if you can keep it at 19 degrees or below. I found the m54 not as clean and also was more cloudy - as in the sediment in the bottles really stirred up easily. Just my 2c worth. Cheers 👍

@Tone boy cheers for that mate - I’ll give the notty a whirl. The room is at 19 degrees at the moment

• Like 1

Just pitched some voss onto 20 litres of a hoppy Ordinary Bitter wort, though I'm hoping it'll be a wee bit better than just "ordinary" 😁 :

• 2.5kg Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Dark Crystal Malt
  • 200g GF Flaked Barley
  • 100g GF Biscuit Malt
  • 50g GF Dark Chocolate Malt
  • 20g Pacific Jade @35mins
  • 25g Fuggles @10min
  • 25g Fuggles @FO
  • Voss

Expected ABV around 3.7% after priming.

👨‍🔬

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Stickers said:

Kit, kilo and partial

1.7kg Cooper's Canadian Blonde
1kg Brew Enhancer 2
800g Maris Otter
100g Applewood smoked ale
100g Coles Quick Oats
Nottingham Yeast

Hops Enigma/Galaxy

I just used Enigma and Galaxy 2:1 really nice hope it turns out 👍 It’s been my quickest keg to empty yet 🍻 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i feel like i'm back on track now. 2 full kegs gassing up, just pitched yeast on my next, did most of the dishes during the hop stand and have a cold cooper's australian pale sixer in the fridge. can take the rest of the week off now 🍻

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/8/2021 at 10:48 PM, RDT2 said:

I will let you know how it goes as a light beer 🍻

That'd be great - am keen to finally have a crack at some lower octane brews... some of the lads advise Saisons being good but I think I will try a lower ABV Ale and a Larger (which will be known as a 'Smaller' 😋)

Good luck with that one RD 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, stquinto said:

Cheers! 👍

StQ, I would lean toward the MJ M54.  It had a lager-y flavour.  I used it in a Great Northern clone and brewed at 18°C.

Notty is a good idea too.  I brewed the Coopers Recipe Dass Alto using it and brewed at 14°C.  It had a crispness, but not so much of a lager-y flavour. 

• Thanks 1