Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

30 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Different mix and match you have going on there mate. Love your work.

Cheers Pale. I don't have access to wheat malt extract or anything like that, so thought I'd use the preachers weiss tin and hop it up with an ale yeast

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Cheers Pale. I don't have access to wheat malt extract or anything like that, so thought I'd use the preachers weiss tin and hop it up with an ale yeast

Looks a good tasty recipe. If i were to change anything i'd boil your hops for 10 minutes not 30. 

Just a lesson i learnt long ago. Your extract can is already bittered, so boiling your hop addition for 30 minutes is bittering even more. 

Chuck the hops in at 10 or even 5 minutes for flavour, no extra bitterness.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Looks a good tasty recipe. If i were to change anything i'd boil your hops for 10 minutes not 30. 

Just a lesson i learnt long ago. Your extract can is already bittered, so boiling your hop addition for 30 minutes is bittering even more. 

Chuck the hops in at 10 or even 5 minutes for flavour, no extra bitterness.

Cheers for the advice mate. Already done the brew haha but let's see how it turns out. I like em bitter so should be ok 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Where theres a will theres a way OD.

yep there is   but the brewzilla brings its problems where the control panel sits   even on a milk create i could kneel down to change  heat settings but hey  , not big issue,  i need to toughen up a bit but  was going to brew today   with the help of the bride but she has to do her first aid

so next week will be ok

• Like 2

Brew day was a tad unusual as it was my first partial and seemed strange seeing I have a 70 L kettle.  I wanted to make a double batch (46 L) out of 2 x 1.7 kg cans of Coopers Golden Lager which have just passed their use by dates (31AUG2021) and not use and dry malt extract as I have big bags of grains.  The cans may have been a bit old when I first got them from Coopers, they were well inside the use by dates at that time but I have not had a chance to use them up until now.  They should still be ok as stored quite cool.

Anyway I did a 3 step mash of 3 Kg of Bohemian Pilsner malt and 3 Kg of VIC Ale malt to make up my own liquid malt to 23 L cube.  During the 70” boil added 20 g Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops for a 10 “, 30 g Hallertau Mittelfrueh for a 15” WP.  This wort all went into one cube and when cooled I will add the 2 x tins of Golden Crown Lager and enough cold water to bring whole lot up to 46 L.  It will be dumped on top of the trub of Dubbya left over in the 58 L Kegmenter and then fermented under pressure using the same profile as last time.  Hopefully it will go into the pressure FV today and get cracking.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Pale Man said:

The sour grape malt is not really necessary. Just me stuffing around with the recipe to bring the PH down. I like to fiddle around.

@Pale Man could you use Acidulated in lieu of Sour Grapes?  Also I have made the switch over to just squirting a bit of 88% Lactic Acid into the mash water now,  about 6 ml per 23 L batch seems to nail it with my rainwater and lager grain bills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

yep there is   but the brewzilla brings its problems where the control panel sits   even on a milk create i could kneel down to change  heat settings

@ozdevil Could you not get one of those small fold up tables from Bunnings and get it up to a nice working height?  Might need a bit of timber to sit under the Brewzilla in order to protect the plastic table top from the heat that's all.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@ozdevil Could you not get one of those small fold up tables from Bunnings and get it up to a nice working height?  Might need a bit of timber to sit under the Brewzilla in order to protect the plastic table top from the heat that's all.

have thought about that  but where i brew under the carport  the mash tun  when going to sparge will be at carport hieght
as it is a low roof  and its bloody raining lol...

i'm actually waiting for the brewzilla v4's to come out   as they will be similar to grainfather where the control panel is
or i might just go the g40 when the bugs are ironed out of that one

• Like 2

Recipe: Pacific Saison
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 EBC

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          25.0 %        0.65 L        
30.00 g          Enigma [16.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           3          17.4 IBUs     -             
15.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min, 90 Hop           4          8.3 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Belle Saison (Lallemand/Danstar #-)              Yeast         5          -             -             

-----------------------------
Edited by disgruntled
  • Like 6

Recipe: Gose 
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Gose
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 5.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          75.0 %        1.96 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          25.0 %        0.65 L        
5.00 g           Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          5.3 IBUs      -             
1.00 oz          Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 mins)                  Spice         4          -             -             
20.00 g          Salt (Boil)                                      Water Agent   5          -             -             
1.0 pkg          Wildbrew Philly Sour (Lallemand #- ) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 4

On 10/2/2021 at 9:52 AM, iBooz2 said:

@Pale Man could you use Acidulated in lieu of Sour Grapes?  Also I have made the switch over to just squirting a bit of 88% Lactic Acid into the mash water now,  about 6 ml per 23 L batch seems to nail it with my rainwater and lager grain bills.

Yep, pretty much the same thing. Different brands.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

HBS 630 Pale Ale. Had a WC IPA recently and thought the hop was amazing. Naturally, I had to get some and now I am brewing an American Pale Ale with HBC 630. Let’s see how it goes. 
997F6CE7-EE5C-431B-9BCA-B0024083879B.thumb.jpeg.c453c1ef45c85293538ac82b2c1af921.jpeg86D705F8-52B4-457B-A8D4-EF8082FB9721.thumb.jpeg.60d60cce4b489a2cde13aee15a69a8ee.jpeg

So what’s your hop schedule for the pale ale AK?

Good luck with the brew 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pale Man said:

1070 bang on as I hoped. I'm really loving the colour. 

20211003_171313.jpg

@Pale Man that looks the business mate. It seems difficult to get the colour suitably pale but that looks more than promising.

I got my starter kicked off on Friday night. The pack of W1388 was best before 9th July but hopefully the starter will get it going. It doesn't seem to have much of a head on it but the PET bottle is rock hard.

I got the delivery of a grain mill and 10kg of pilsner malt the other day. I think my first foray into the rabbit hole of AG will be a 9 litre BIAB Duvel. After the first fermentation I'll fill one of my 10l kegs and keep it in the fridge for two to three weeks.

Looking forward to it arond Christmas !

BTW, what yeast did you use ?

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 11:49 PM, stquinto said:

@Pale Man that looks the business mate. It seems difficult to get the colour suitably pale but that looks more than promising.

I got my starter kicked off on Friday night. The pack of W1388 was best before 9th July but hopefully the starter will get it going. It doesn't seem to have much of a head on it but the PET bottle is rock hard.

I got the delivery of a grain mill and 10kg of pilsner malt the other day. I think my first foray into the rabbit hole of AG will be a 9 litre BIAB Duvel. After the first fermentation I'll fill one of my 10l kegs and keep it in the fridge for two to three weeks.

Looking forward to it arond Christmas !

BTW, what yeast did you use ?

Apologies for the late reply fella, i used two packs of the Lallamend Belgian ale yeast LALBREW ABBAYE™ – BELGIAN ALE YEAST – Three Chins Brewing.

Not sure how it'll go but Brewfather tells me it should finish under 1010.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Apologies for the late reply fella, i used two packs of the Lallamend Belgian ale yeast LALBREW ABBAYE™ – BELGIAN ALE YEAST – Three Chins Brewing.

Not sure how it'll go but Brewfather tells me it should finish under 1010.

Cheer for the info mate. I made a starter with a pack of Wyeast 1388 but it isn't looking too healthy. The use-by date was 9th July. There is no krausen, but the bottle does get rock hard. I'm not sure if I should risk it after going through the effort of my first BIAB... I do have another one that expired in November, perhaps I shoudl just make a starter with that one and chuck the first.

yeast.jpg

7 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Just in adding. In my experience, getting a correct colour for style can really only be achieved with an all grain brew. And i havent been a full grain brewer for long, but found this out quick smart.

From what I am reading that seems to be the consensus. From my own efforts at an extract version, over time it darkened considerably. Still drinkable, but I messed up the yeast and ended up adding half a pack of MJ47, which gave it some really tropical fruity / apricoty esters. Not unpleasant, but not Duvel either...

41 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Just in adding. In my experience, getting a correct colour for style can really only be achieved with an all grain brew. And i havent been a full grain brewer for long, but found this out quick smart.

I agree. But even brewing AG, there always seems to be a discrepancy between what Beersmith tells me the colour should be and what it actually is. The problem is the differences between the EBC of malts. Pale malt isn't the same as pale malt and light crystal can be 10L, 20L or even 40L. So the results vary greatly. Brewing supply shops sell you light crystal but don't tell you how many L it has. They may give you a range of EBC but that's it. It's the same with lots of other malts too. Pale malts can be 3EBC or 4 or 6 and unless you do your own digging in the maltster's websites, you won't necessarily know how your beer will end up looking. I acknowledge though, that HBS can't hold stock of everything, just like us brewers can't either. I use light crystal or medium or dark but in the end, I don't worry too much about how many Lovibond it has. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Hey @Aussiekraut  i use Brewfather.........and in my inexperience has usually been on the money with EBC, IBU's, water volume and Gravitys. No matter what recipe. And i stipulate i am pretty green. It just seems to work out. BUT!!!!! If you have a machine like GrainFather or BrewZilla or a Guten.

BIAB was a challenge when i started my all grain but you have to work the numbers. If you want to do it, you'll get the results. 

My grains always come out to colour for style of beer. I havent missed yet. Not to say i wont. I use Gladfield, very delicous grain. And when i can noble hops. Because thats my taste. Its all good fun.

My numbers are usually pretty spot on with the estimates of Beersmith, just the colour is usually darker than what the little picture tells me 🙂 Just the last batch, I was a few points down, probably because I used a lot more grain than I usually do and possibly should have thrown in a hand full of rice hulls. Mash was a little thick to start with, although it ran pretty clear.

I try to get as many Aussie grains as possible, so I use Barret Burston pale ale malt and Voyager Veloria instead of MO. Why send the money overseas, if you can get them locally. Even the wheat I use is BB. However pilsener malt I usually get the German varieties, although the last pilsener I bought was Gladfield. They do make some great malts but especially in these times, I like to keep the money here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

Cheer for the info mate. I made a starter with a pack of Wyeast 1388 but it isn't looking too healthy. The use-by date was 9th July. There is no krausen, but the bottle does get rock hard. I'm not sure if I should risk it after going through the effort of my first BIAB... I do have another one that expired in November, perhaps I shoudl just make a starter with that one and chuck the first.

Coupla things:

• Does it smell alright = good
  • What's the SG of the beer in the starter < 1.015 is good (must have fermented the wort you started with)

If you are still worried, maybe step it up once more, with another volume of starter.  Or as you suggest, play it safe and do a starter of an in-date yeast.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O&#x27;Sean said:

Coupla things:

• Does it smell alright = good
  • What's the SG of the beer in the starter < 1.015 is good (must have fermented the wort you started with)

If you are still worried, maybe step it up once more, with another volume of starter.  Or as you suggest, play it safe and do a starter of an in-date yeast.

Cheers Shamus, will check that out first. Otherwise, if in doubt, chuck it out.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Rice hulls will not give you any points at all. Just there if youre mash is sticky, using oats or wheat. I wouldn't use them otherwise. You know that.

I know but they may have helped mash efficiency by fluffing up the mash a little. Next time I'll also increase the mash water. My trusted formula of 25l mash and 8l sparge works fine for 5kg grain but when you get close to 6.5kg, it doesn't. More mash water would also help I suppose.  I am thinking about 27l and only 6 sparge or in this case probably 7 to cater for the higher grain absorption.