Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

On 9/3/2021 at 10:43 PM, Tone boy said:

I have a similar brew in the fv atm. I had the bulk of PoR at the start and only 5 g at the end. You’ve gone the opposite way around. Is PoR good for aroma? What yeast?

I found out quite a while ago that switching the bulk of PoR from early to late in the boil or whirlpool is what makes an Aussie pub beer clone taste and smell like a pub beer.  I hinted that idea to Disgruntled and he tried it a while back but said he did not notice any difference.  Interesting to see he has gone this way again so maybe he is just making sure or is it a goer.  Give it a go TB as I am sure you will agree too that its the late PoR that does the pub trick.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I found out quite a while ago that switching the bulk of PoR from early to late in the boil or whirlpool is what makes an Aussie pub beer clone taste and smell like a pub beer.  I hinted that idea to Disgruntled and he tried it a while back but said he did not notice any difference.  Interesting to see he has gone this way again so maybe he is just making sure or is it a goer.  Give it a go TB as I am sure you will agree too that its the late PoR that does the pub trick.

I just bought some PoR to try and get the Aussie Pub Beer, taste and smell. I'll be using Coopers OS Lager with BE2 or BE3@ 23 Litres.

How much PoR would you use and how long would it be boiled for.  Did you also do a Hop Tea and/or a Dry Hop as well.

Thanks

34 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I just bought some PoR to try and get the Aussie Pub Beer, taste and smell. I'll be using Coopers OS Lager with BE2 or BE3@ 23 Litres.

How much PoR would you use and how long would it be boiled for.  Did you also do a Hop Tea and/or a Dry Hop as well.

Thanks

PJ, when I did my K & K version of pub lager I just used 2 x 1.5 L cans of Coopers liquid light malt, a carapils steep of grains (going off memory) so I had to boil the steep liquid and get some bittering in there that way with PoR hops.

You already have the bittering via the PoR in the OS lager tin so let me do some playing with the spreadsheet to see if I can match my outcome K & K wise.

Can you do partials or steeps with the gear you have?

15 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

PJ, when I did my K & K version of pub lager I just used 2 x 1.5 L cans of Coopers liquid light malt, a carapils steep of grains (going off memory) so I had to boil the steep liquid and get some bittering in there that way with PoR hops.

You already have the bittering via the PoR in the OS lager tin so let me do some playing with the spreadsheet to see if I can match my outcome K & K wise.

Can you do partials or steeps with the gear you have?

Thank you,  yes I can do both.

Recipe: Date Stout

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 65.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 41.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          72.1 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          18.0 %        0.65 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          4.5 %         0.16 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt (1300.0 EBC)       Grain         4          3.6 %         0.13 L        
0.10 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         5          1.8 %         0.07 L        
40.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min             Hop           6          41.7 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         7          -             -             
-------------------------------

Date syrup... if I can find some

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

That is my favorite post this year. Still laughing…well played hairy.

@Hairy is truly our Master of Wit and King of Repartee!!

Made me think of the below joke... hopefully some might find a chuckle (or probs already know it anyway)

There's this guy, Douggie, who loves the circus. He adores the circus. Every time the circus comes to town, Douggie goes to see it. He sits in the front row, wearing his blue anorak.

One day, the circus comes to town and Douggie is thrilled to see it has a new clown with a red nose. All goes well until the Red-Nosed Clown decides to tell a joke. He looks around the audience, spots Douggie in his blue anorak, and approaches.

"Tell me, sir", he begins. "Are you the front end of an ass?"

"No", says Douggie, confused.

"Then are you the back end of an ass?" continues the Red-Nosed Clown.

"No...", says Douggie, hesitantly.

"Then I put it to you, that you are no end of an ass!" announces the Red-Nosed Clown, triumphantly.

The audience bursts into laughter, leaving Douggie feeling humiliated and hurt.

The next day, Douggie goes to the circus wearing his blue anorak and sits in the front row as usual. The high-wire act is thrilling, the jugglers are breath-taking, and then along come the clowns. Douggie's heart sinks when he sees the Red-Nosed Clown among them. Sure enough, part-way through the act the Red-Nosed Clown stops to tell a joke. His eyes are immediately drawn once more to Douggie in his blue anorak.

"No...", says Douggie, apprehensively.

"Then are you the back end of an ass?" continues the Red-Nosed Clown.

"No", says Douggie, tears welling in his eyes.

"Then I put it to you, that you are no end of an ass!" announces the Red-Nosed Clown, gleefully.

Again, the audience roars with laughter, and Douggie looks a complete fool. He's very upset.

Now it turns out that Douggie has a friend: Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee. Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee, is famous throughout the town for being a master of wit and king of repartee. If anyone can put an end to Douggie's torment, it's Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee. Douggie therefore decides to tell his story to Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee, in the hope that he'll help.

"Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee", he begins, "there's a new, red-nosed clown at the circus and he keeps picking on me."

Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee, says, "That's very ungracious of him. He deserves to be taught a lesson."

"Could you come along tomorrow and sit next to me?" asks, Douggie, hopefully.

Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee, ponders for a moment, then says, "Yes, I think I shall."

"Oh thank you, Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee", says Douggie. "You'll show him!"

So the next day, Douggie goes along to the circus with Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee, and they sit in the front row. The horse act is terrific and the trapeze is very exciting, and then out come the clowns.

The Red-Nosed Clown can't believe his eyes. There, sitting in the front row, is Douggie in his blue anorak. He goes straight over.

Douggie looks to Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee, who sagely shakes his head.

"No", says Douggie, confidently.

"Then ar you the back end of an ass?" continues the Red-Nosed Clown?

Douggie glances at Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee, but again he just shakes his head, knowingly.

"No" replies Douggie.

Then I put it to you, that you are no end of an ass!" announces the Red-Nosed Clown, victoriously.

The audience shrieks with laughter, and poor Douggie feels very small, but then suddenly, Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee, stands up.

The audience falls silence in astonishment, for they know him to be Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee, and they know that he is a master of wit and king of repartee.

Nigel, master of wit and king of repartee, looks slowly around the ring, then suddenly stabs a finger in the direction of the Red-Nosed Clown and glares at him right in the eye.

"You!" he shouts. "Fucccck off, you Red-nosed Basssstard!"

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I mash for a concentrated wort and then make up to the final 20 litre volume in the FV:

This is a great idea for folks wanting to dip their toe into all grain brewing without having to buy expensive equipment.  For some, like yourself, BS, it is so good you have kept doing it.

I have started to do similar with the Grainfather.  I do a brew to give me about 20-22 litres of concentrated wort.  Then I split it into two Keg King Fermenter King Junior FV's already filled with 5 litres each of cold water.  This gives me enough to 3/4 fill 2 kegs.

Nice looking recipe, by the way.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This is a great idea for folks wanting to dip their toe into all grain brewing without having to buy expensive equipment.

Definitely!  All I have is a 21 litre pot, a grain bag and a large colllander to sit the bag in to allow it to drain.  Couldn't be simpler.  The other thing I like about brewing lower ABV AG beers this way is the grain weight is far more manageable!   3 - 3.5kg fully sodden doesn't require Herculean strength to lift!  💪

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 2

Black Rye

2.5 kg Pale ale

350 g Munich

500 g Rye

300 g Caramunich

200 g Cara aroma

100 g Black barley 

7 g Centennial 60 m

25 g Cent 10 m

25 g Cent cube

M42 yeast.    OG 1040.   IBU 26

I made this a month ago, drinking now really nice, was meant to add all Munich but added Caramunich by mistake but has turned out really nice. 👍

Edited by QK
  • Like 6

Recipe: Aussie Ale
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 11.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          76.9 %        2.28 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          22.0 %        0.65 L        
0.05 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          1.1 %         0.03 L        
30.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          30.3 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         5          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Like 6