Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I think I'd have noticed something like that 😂

It probably got chucked out for whatever reason. 

I had the same pain with my bottling wand that I attach kegging hose to just before. you just reminded me I better go wash and store the spare one I just used in a safe place or in a few weeks I won't find that

• Like 1

Well, not quite brewing it yet but planning on brews to use a Diablo IPA and Long Play IPA. (Hat Tip to @jamiek86) See Coopers Store forum.

I'm trying to find EBC/IBU data for them so I can at least pretend to plan a brew. 😄 But I use the IanH spreadsheet so I picked the Brew A IPA can and 1.3 kg - figured I'd see what I can add so I can make a bigger brew as I don't have a Crafty and not keen on making half a keg worth. IPA can plus LME can at 10L = 9.3%!!! 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 2

@Journeyman the ebc and bitterness is available for them under online store you can view them all without even putting order in. I reckon as experiment the 2 tins plus some extra dry or liquid malt with extra hops would be good at 15 to 20 litres depending on your wants and needs. But yes half a keg really strong or a full keg less strong but with the adding of extra fermentable and hops you could do anything. That's also why gave you extra yeast I'd be interested to see what you choose and see a glass from keg in next month or so good luck.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

the ebc and bitterness is available for them under online store

Yes I found them eventually. I realised I'd been looking for DB type info then went to the US site (a vague memory of a comment ages back about MRBeer being USA somehow) and eventually looked them up in the AU store. Still trying to work through the formulas in the IanH spreadsheet to get those values to show properly in the Main page.

13 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Probably be a Toucan IPA of sorts, it should give you wings with a bit of LME ✈️

That may be my go to - what I'd LIKE to try is to emulate the brew in the can - find out what hops are in there and then increase the volume without losing the character of each.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

That may be my go to - what I'd LIKE to try is to emulate the brew in the can - find out what hops are in there and then increase the volume without losing the character of each.

I tried to find that some time ago when I bought the Craft Kit, even intense searching didn't reveal what the hops actually were. 

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I tried to find that some time ago when I bought the Craft Kit, even intense searching didn't reveal what the hops actually were. 

BUGGA! 😄

"Floral Aromas" doesn't tell me much - there are what, 20+ hops that describe as 'floral'? (the LP can) - 

The Diablo at least says "A fiendishly hopped American IPA. Fiery amber in color with intense mouthfeel, displaying a blend of floral spice and stonefruit aromas with a firm and lingering bitter finish" so I can look at hops used in American IPAs...

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 1

I think I worked out the formula in the spreadsheet so this is my plan for the Long Play. (still trying to work out if I want to venture into the formulae rabbithole so I can work out WTF is going on in the SS 😄 )

The LP IPA description says 'traditional IPA so I stayed away from American hops for this one.

Marks LP IPA.jpg

Edited by Journeyman

11 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Journeyman couldn't see that real clear how long hop boil for? adding any light crystal and what yeast? should be an interesting brew either way 

No boil, just a hops tea. No crystal in this or the other one - I want to see what they are like and the crystal will change that. 😄

3 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

No boil, just a hops tea. No crystal in this or the other one - I want to see what they are like and the crystal will change that. 😄

I don't reckon you will taste much of the tin flavour with 20 litres I've seen recepies go as high as 10 for 1 tin.  Will be a good experiment still but I'm fairly sure all the added malt and water will take that away.  But yes it will still be a beer full of alcohol and taste I'm sure you will still enjoy it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I think I worked out the formula in the spreadsheet so this is my plan for the Long Play. (still trying to work out if I want to venture into the formulae rabbithole so I can work out WTF is going on in the SS 😄 )

You might need to delve into the formulae rabbithole somewhat, Journeyman.  I think you are a bit off with your IBU and EBC values.  ABV looks fine though.

I tweaked my formulae (but I still might be wrong) trying to follow what IanH did for the full sized Coopers cans.  I get 20.1 IBU and 6.2 EBC for your brew.  It sounds about right (or maybe just a little low) because the Craft cans are designed to brew on their own to a 8.5 litre volume.  If you dilute them into 20 litres the bitterness and colour will dilute.  Think about it like this:  If you use your numbers and go the other way and brew in 8.5 litres instead of 20 litres, you will get an IBU around 100 and an EBC around 50.  This is way above usual "craft" type numbers.

Firstly, in the KITS tab you need a formula to covert the in-can IBU and EBC into what they would be in a 23 litre batch.

Then, in the MAIN tab, the formula for IBU and EBC are: (IBU or EBC (from the KITS tab) for a 23 litre volume x 23/Batch Volume) x Can Weight

You have probably got the second part right, but maybe your IBU and EBC calcs in the KITS tab might be off.  Or it could be me and I might be completely wrong.

• Thanks 1

Just for the hell of it, my two bobs worth would be not to mess with the volume with the craft cans (1.3kg) now I don't have brewing software or perhaps the experience with the technical side of brewing as you guys do but I have done probably 20-25 brews in the Craft Fermenter, I think Shamus has a valid point re: If you dilute them into 20 litres the bitterness and colour will dilute. 

I have found from my experience at 8.5 litres those small cans work, I have also added LME & increased the volume as 11-11.5 litres & it has maintained the density, concentrate type texture.

I have also done the brews in reverse using a full size 1.7kg can to 11 litres with & without LME & still got a similar brew.

But I could be wrong too, just saying what has worked for me.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 4:36 PM, Journeyman said:

Learn something all the time on here - I never knew the PRV has a step-open position.

Yeah just don't leave the ring bit sitting up on the open step too long as the PRV spring will lose it's tension somewhat over time and the actual pressure release "pressure" will decrease by an unknown psi.  The several minutes or so that I use it this way would be fine though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Journeyman, by the way the formula I use to convert the Craft cans from in-can IBU is: IBU = (In can IBU) x 0.956/23 and similarly for EBC; EBC = (in can EBC) x 0.956/23

That certainly looks betterer! 😄 

How did you find the 0.956 figure? 

The can EBC/IBU is for 1.3L, so I'd think you'd divide that by 1.3 to get can EBC/IBU per litre, then by 23 to get figures for 23L? Which would be can EBC/IBU x .77/23...

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

The can EBC/IBU is for 1.3L, so I'd think you'd divide that by 1.3 to get can EBC/IBU per litre, then by 23 to get figures for 23L? Which would be can EBC/IBU x .77/23...

did you decide on recepie yet mate? I find using spreadsheet on phone hard so most my recepies or brewing is a guess. I hope you find a happy medium with those tins I might do a double nw pale today and make a hop tea in 4 days or so.

24 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

did you decide on recepie yet mate? I find using spreadsheet on phone hard so most my recepies or brewing is a guess. I hope you find a happy medium with those tins I might do a double nw pale today and make a hop tea in 4 days or so.

Pretty much the above recipes. Just waiting to free up the FV fridge. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Hi JM

IanH uses 1.25 / 23 for the IBU and EBC of the full 1.7kg cans.  I just figured 1.25 x 1.3/1.7 = 0.956 to convert the same formula for the 1.3kg cans.  It is probably not a coincidence that the volume of the 1.7kg cans is 1.25 litres and the 1.3kg cans is 0.956 litres.  You do not need to convert the amount of IBU or EBC in the can to a per litre amount.

I do not understand the formula that Coopers advises to calculate bitterness.  To my tastes, the IBU's of most of the Coopers cans is not as high as the formula below indicates.  From the FAQ's pages

The figures we quote for bitterness (IBU - International Bitterness Units) are specified for the product inside the can at the time of packaging. Of course, the product is concentrated, hence the seemingly high figures! Use the following formula to estimate a more realistic bitterness figure of the reconstituted and fermented brew.

To calculate the bitterness of the brew: Multiply the quoted product bitterness by the weight of the product (1.7kg) and divide by the total brew volume (normally 23 litres). We use the weight because our quoted colour/bitterness figures are based on a 10% weight/volume dilution.

Product bitterness x 1.7 / Brew volume = Brew Bitterness before fermentation

As an example, if a brew is made with Mexican Cerveza up to a volume of 23 litres: 270 x 1.7 / 23 = 20 IBU (International Bitterness Units)

This figure represents the brew bitterness prior to fermentation. Generally, fermentation reduces bitterness by between 10% to 30%. So final bitterness of the fermented brew may be anything from 14 to 18

• Thanks 1