Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

20 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

what about these all grain brewers coopers is it your malted grain in there pots? my company gets funny about social media and people saying the wrong thing and it coming back to work. Let's just say I work for a company who buys coopers malt in 1000kg pallecons and it goes into products. I think that heavy anyway the forklift does the lifting. Every time I smell it I think of opening a brew tin.

I'll be brewing again Saturday and the grains are all non Coopers grains 😜🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bootmaker pale ale plus tin of malt and extra 254 grams LDM made to 20 litres. OG1:054 one and half packs kit yeast pitched on 21 degrees BF set to 18. Will do a galaxy tea in 4 or 5 days and add it. 

I had some fresh US-05 slurry to use but decided get through some of the kit yeast as I still have plenty left to boil as nutrients.

20210805_140035.jpg

20210805_140143.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

bootmaker pale ale plus tin of malt and extra 254 grams LDM made to 20 litres. OG1:054 one and half packs kit yeast pitched on 21 degrees BF set to 18. Will do a galaxy tea in 4 or 5 days and add it. 

I had some fresh US-05 slurry to use but decided get through some of the kit yeast as I still have plenty left to boil as nutrients.

Should be a nice Pale Ale @jamiek86 one of my favourite beers, always satisfying. I have a couple cans ready for the Summer. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Should be a nice Pale Ale @jamiek86 one of my favourite beers, always satisfying. I have a couple cans ready for the Summer. 

yes I don't mind it made 5 of these in a row last year when started brewing again and got sick of it real fast so has been long enough in-between I feel like it again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jamiek86 said:

yes I don't mind it made 5 of these in a row last year when started brewing again and got sick of it real fast so has been long enough in-between I feel like it again.

Yeah you can but I like to brew at least 5-6 different ones to ensure I have a steady variety, I must have got it right this year as I have a full batch of Stout to last these cold nights & also building up a few Spring/Summer beers. I am lucky as I can have 4 FV's going at once if I want - lot of work though.

Cheers.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@CLASSIC I know what u mean I've only got 2 at once and that's keeping Me busy and I'm not bottling like you are I.bet your busy. I was almost going to do a mr beer kit today but maby next week 😇

I am sitting in the office with 2 x 30l Ampi FV's Airlocks bubbling away, also looking at the empty Coopers 23l & Craft vessels. So I will attack that on the weekend also.

Then it will be a massive bottle sterilisation exercise to get ready for the onslaught of this lovely brown stuff. 🍻

• Like 1

Recipe: Amber Lager
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: International Amber Lager
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 18.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.6 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.50 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         1          54.3 %        1.63 L        
1.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         2          32.6 %        0.98 L        
0.50 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          10.9 %        0.33 L        
0.10 kg          Gladfield Roasted Wheat (550.0 EBC)              Grain         4          2.2 %         0.07 L        
20.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min             Hop           5          22.6 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) [124.21 ml]       Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 3

Decided to change tomorrow's brew to a pilsner as the next two are that and a red ale, but the plan is to do the pils tomorrow and the red ale next weekend, that way both batches will be ready to keg at the same time rather than one being two weeks after the other. Bit earlier finish at work today so I'll adjust the recipe for the new hops when I get home properly. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Cheers, it will be beer, that's for sure. Might throw in some cryo Citra at flameout for a laugh

I was hoping to do a similar 'throw in some cryo Citra' at FO recently in a german inspired brew but unfortunately had imbibed the last of a cuppla kegs prior to FO and in the morning there was no evidence for or against in the Brewery or my Memory whether Citra went in or not 🤔 ... guess will find out when we drink it 😋

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Another version of Mitch's Aussie Lager today.  Mash-out happening as I type.

Where did you get your isinglass from SOS?  I have not seen it anywhere for ages.  Also have you noticed any difference in the chill haze in your beers since you started no chilling?

I suspect that the increase in chill haze in my latest beers is due to my processes somewhere and going to have to address / fine tune it. 

I have a True Blue Pale Ale ready to keg from my Fermzilla and thinking it might be a good time to use my beer filter for the first time and see what difference that bit of kit makes.  I have another two brews to keg after that one but have run out of kegs with 8 being full or near full.  My decision to keg my lagers this year is proving to be expensive and now that we are back in lock down cannot get over to buy a couple more.  May have to start bottling again or put my finished brews in a longer cold crash holding pattern / state of suspended animation for an extra week.

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Where did you get your isinglass from SOS?  I have not seen it anywhere for ages.  Also have you noticed any difference in the chill haze in your beers since you started no chilling?

Hi Al, I get the liquid version.  I have got it from The Brewers Den in Boronia.  Direct Hospitality Supplies (that took over One Stop Brew Shop) in Mornington also has it.  I should correct myself, last time I was at those LHBS, they had it.  I am going to have to get some more soon.  Down to my last 100ml.

I have not noticed a difference in the chill haze in my beers since I started no chilling.  I have only done it 4 or 5 times though  This might be because in addition to the Insinglass, I use Polyclar.  Polyclar is meant to deal with the particles that cause/contribute to chill haze.  Plus some of my recent brews are hazy varieties so I did not Polyclar them.

• Thanks 1

Wrap up of Mitch's Aussie Lager brew day:

After sparging is done, and the drips from the malt tube have slowed to virtually nothing, I pop the malt tube in a pot supported by a couple of stainless nuts.

IMG_2525.JPG.c7e9fb857db2738ec191df7774043193.JPG

I can usually get close to another litre out of the malt tube doing this.  I pour it into the wort coming to the boil.  I repeat this process about 3 times.

IMG_2527.JPG.d9f7915872a79727685a1af617a601e7.JPG

Pumping the wort into the cube for no-chilling overnight.

IMG_2530.JPG.ac81c1ced7a3c7c18d5394542b3ee328.JPG

This is a concentrated batch again.  Current gravity is 1.060.  I will split the cube into 2 fermenters (Keg King Fermenter King Juniors) and add about 10 litres to each FV.  Planning to ferment under pressure 15 psi at 20°C.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 6:56 PM, Graubart said:

I reckon you could just about put Dubbya into just about any Brew ; ) 

Hey @MitchBastard  Mitchie?

Haha ease up mate, Dunno if dubbya would do so well in a saison, that’s where that belle comes in 😅

full disclosure, I doubt I’ll use belle in any saison moving forward.

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2021 at 8:00 AM, CLASSIC said:

Awesome set-up Shamus, very well organised I can see. A lot more work goes into you brew days than us extract /partial folk, it would be interesting to actually compare the difference. 

Cheers.

Thanks mate.  I am reasonably organised, Phil.  I have to be because I am not set up very well.  I brew in the garage, but also do some of the steps in the kitchen.  The garage space is not dedicated, so I also have to move stuff around a lot to get ready to brew.  I would love a dedicated space with everything in easy reach.  Maybe one day?

• Like 2

I used up some left overs with todays brew;

MV Blonde Dry 1.7kg  to 23litres

Brewcraft Brewblend No 10 ( 75% Dextrose, 25% Maltodextrin ) x 1kg

Brewcraft Band Dried light Malt x 250gm

5gm Ale Yeast re-hydrated - boil

5gm Kit yeast

15gm Saaz Infusion

OG 1.042

I am thinking I would be around 5%  anyone disagree ?

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I used up some left overs with todays brew;

MV Blonde Dry 1.7kg  to 23litres

Brewcraft Brewblend No 10 ( 75% Dextrose, 25% Maltodextrin ) x 1kg

Brewcraft Band Dried light Malt x 250gm

5gm Ale Yeast re-hydrated - boil

5gm Kit yeast

15gm Saaz Infusion

OG 1.042

I am thinking I would be around 5%  anyone disagree ?

Cheers

Phil

i would have you  around that depending on f.g