Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

20 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Wow RD what a Champion Brew is in development ; )

Am keen to get a Porter going too... just gtgoma 😬

Cheers mate pretty excited about this one. Very interested to see what the lager yeast brings. I’ve only ever had one Baltic before and liked I think 🤔 I’d had a few other beers prior so can’t wait 😊 

• Haha 1

I will be doing me second brew in a week tomorrow.  I will be using the Pilsner Urquell clone grist I use, but have added some melanoidin to it, to make this German Pilsner.  The hop schedule  is pretty much the  schedule for Bitburger Pilsner but have substituted Northern brewer for Perle.  

image_2021-07-29_183133.png

• Like 3

Brewing up a Huell Melon and Mandarina Bavaria pale ale tonight. Have been wanting to try these two together for ages now.

Pale ale malt with a touch of carahell and munich to finish off some bags of grain. Using both early for bittering and then 30 of each at flameout. 

Hopefully fairly light and easy drinking but interesting enough.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

golden crown lager with tin of malt

200 grams carapils not in picture 40 steep at 67 degrees then boiled with LDM and hops.

250 gram LDM

20 gram Hallertau trad 5 boil 5 steep

3rd and last use slurry of 86 days pils kit yeast pitched on 13.5 degrees BF set to 12 degrees 20 litres OG:1.054

@Stickers I forgot to buy those seals with last order and what do u know I dropped the lid seal in my pale ale yesterday as kegged it.

20210731_133730.jpg

20210731_134343.jpg

20210731_134421.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 6

With all kegs now empty bar a cuppla pints in one.... was well over time to get on with it... so finally - Amber Ale to kick the brewing campaign off:  Maris Otter-and then Voyager Vienna, Compass and Winter Wheat... 

image.thumb.png.17ce3a935cd8811d235e790e9863faa2.png

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

With all kegs now empty bar a cuppla pints in one.... was well over time to get on with it... so finally - Amber Ale to kick the brewing campaign off:  Maris Otter-and then Voyager Vienna, Compass and Winter Wheat... 

Hey Graubster, it is not like you to have empty kegs, what's going on, maybe increased consumption 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Graubster, it is not like you to have empty kegs, what's going on, maybe increased consumption 

was wondering the same I know he had some days with guests but didn't he have over 7 full ones at one stage @Graubart lol good luck catching up with stock now hope you bottled a batch and hid them somewhere 😉

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

was wondering the same I know he had some days with guests but didn't he have over 7 full ones at one stage @Graubart lol good luck catching up with stock now hope you bottled a batch and hid them somewhere 😉

I think the Mountain Brewer has been giving it a hiding, get to work Herr Graubster 🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Modus Operandi Former Tenant Red IPA - Recipe from the BrewFather library, adjusted to my system.  Not sure how close it is, but seemed pretty good.

That beer is a cracker. I hope you get pretty close with it. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Pig Den brewing has a fair few recipes up on Brew father. Most of them look like they'd get you something similar to the original.

• Like 2

A double banger brew day for me today.  Batch # 60,  AG Batch #19.  Another Leigh’s lager (VB clone) but this time a 46 L batch (two cubes) to test out the big capacity of the 70 L Nano Brewery setup.  It’s 70 L will fill level with the brim so not really a 70 L mash unit.

Discovered that 50 L of strike water and 9 kg grains is this big bad boy’s maximum otherwise the grains will overflow the basket.  For me to do double banger batches have to do a sparge to arrive at my pre-boil volume which in my case was 56 L.  

I worked out how much sparge water I needed and heated it up in another pot but then when it came time to sparge at 76 C I stupidly second guessed myself and did not use all the pre-measured sparge water.  Hence came up about 3 litres short after the boil so had to top up one of the cubes with boiling water to remove the air.  I think I was worried about how far up the level was and if I would come to grief in the boil.  Had to watch the boil like a hawk because it could have given me my first ever boil over.  Just slowed the heat down a bit as it neared the boil and got there without any mess so all good with that technique.

Both these cubes will be blended and go into my new 58 L Kegmenter as one brew anyway so no big deal about one watered down a bit.
Surprising thing was my numbers were way up so I think it is the sparge that adds quite a bit of sugars so might look at doing this with the single 23 L batches.  Maybe just use a pre-boiled kettle of a couple of litres and see what it does next time I do single 23 L batch.  With this batch I was aiming for and ABV of 5.1 % but it’s now estimated at 5.9%.
Not a bad day, 5 hours from go to whoa for 46 L fresh wort.  Just got to keg up a previous batch of the same recipe tomorrow so I have room in the big ferment fridge to do the maiden ferment with the 58 L Kegmenter.  My second step starter of Dubbya will be tossed in at high Krausen so hopefully its timing will be right too.

Nano Brewery maxed out at 50 L - resized.jpg

Nearing the boil 46 L - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Graubart said:

Pity you did not live closer mate, could've given you a fresh wort kit of My Coopers Sparkling Ale to ferment out and help your brewery drought.  At a predicted 5.1 % ABV its probably a "girls" beer compared to your normal brews but its very nice all the same. ha ha.😁

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I am glad you are doing it Al, looks a little complicated for me 😬  but I am sure you have it under control. Cheers.

All under control Phil, maybe one for the SA home brew comp hey? or should I lob in a Southwark Clone instead?ha ha🤣

12 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@iBooz2 it will still taste fresher and better than the watered down commercially made stuff. So guessing you bittered with POR?

I have only been drinking a few taste testers and I am very happy with the progression of this recipe to where it is now.  They are all actually brewed and kegged for my very sick mate and his supportive friends.

Narh, bittered with Super Pride and only used PoR late for Aroma.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iBooz2 said:

All under control Phil, maybe one for the SA home brew comp hey? or should I lob in a Southwark Clone instead?ha ha🤣

Not sure whether the Southwark would go down very well actually as it hasn't been around for a while apart from special promo's etc. 

I certainly haven't been near it for years. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

I have only been drinking a few taste testers and I am very happy with the progression of this recipe to where it is now.  They are all actually brewed and kegged for my very sick mate and his supportive friends.

Narh, bittered with Super Pride and only used PoR late for Aroma.

glad it's tasting ok have heard POR has good aroma not what I can remember from back in early 2000s when used it.  I was told at 40 grams I was using too much and I wasn't cold crashing and had hop floaties. 

To the reply you gave classic does anyone have a Southwark clone? I would have thought if it was brewed by German settlers trying to re create the old country lager/pilsner it would have been an ok drop.

Edited by jamiek86

19 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

IMG_2514.JPG.50e416e321d18fbc9b0f235a0b2e0b30.JPG

@Shamus O'Sean  I see you drop your Whilfloc in the boil at 15".  I see a lot of recipes show this as a 15" addition but the manufacturer states not to boil it for more that 10" as it will undo the "good do".

I drop mine in under 10" and before 5".  Just wondering what the general consensus is here among all the community AG brewers.

Edited by iBooz2