Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

This is the 3rd version I have done of this over the last couple of months. I have dropped the ABV on each of them from 5.3%-4.7% this is about 4.1% which is right in the sweet spot for me.  The hop combo is a ripper.    

image_2021-07-26_074611.png

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Is the above yeast like the Philly Sour: Sours in the fermenter

In that sense yes... BUT the one I will keg has been in the fv since 11/03 - needs a fair bit of time.

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

How long did you have the roselare in the fermenter for the first pitch mate? How did it go/how does it taste versus the lambic blend you had previously?

Put down on 07/03/2021and yet to taste it, I will keg tomorrow

43 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Cool. Will be keen to know your thoughts.

Hi hopes, I have had a few tastes as it has been fermenting and seems good. The Berliner Weisse is great too, well bretty and dry

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

4L batch is down using the yeast I got from wattle flowers. Sitting in the ferm fridge at 22c. Quick stovetop job in an 8L pot.

Good luck with that @Greeny1525229549 pretty amazing job all up! 

Luvyerwork!!! 👍👍👍

Looking forward to Acacia Longifolia Ale   🥳

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Good luck with that @Greeny1525229549 pretty amazing job all up! 

Luvyerwork!!! 👍👍👍

Looking forward to Acacia Longifolia Ale   🥳

Cheers mate. But I think its this one which is native to WA but apparently spreads like a weed and is in everywhere in SAF so says Google.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_saligna&ved=2ahUKEwjPodnf4IDyAhX1zjgGHYRPAekQFjATegQIRhAF&usg=AOvVaw1O7BIFjH-rRSZqsZWHRU0_

• Haha 1

Last one was a bit lacking with head so some carapils goes in

Recipe: Aussie Lager
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 15.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.3 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          82.7 %        2.28 L        
0.20 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          4.7 %         0.13 L        
0.03 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         3          0.7 %         0.02 L        
0.50 kg          Dextrose (Briess) [Boil] (2.0 EBC)               Sugar         4          11.8 %        0.32 L        
30.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           5          30.3 IBUs     -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

M54 repitch

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Last one was a bit lacking with head so some carapils goes in

M54 repitch

@Green Blob Next time you throw one of these Aussie Lagers down, try my hop combo as I reckon it gets very close to a pub beer.  After about 5 attempts to try to get that PoR flavour / aroma where it needed to be realized I was heading in the wrong direction.  I tried upping the amount of grams for the 60" boil until it got to 30 g which sorta killed it and was heading away from what I was trying to achieve so then did a switch around with the PoR.

Now in the last 2 batches I used 8 g Super Pride (14.5% AA) as the bittering hop 60" boil and then 18 g PoR (9.0% AA) as the flavouring hop 10" boil and its made a huge difference.  The bitterness is about right and you get that pub beer aroma of the PoR when you drink it.  My mate who is a welded on CUB drinker is impressed with this beer.  It should go ok with your ambient temp steam beer lager yeasts too I hope, so give it a go and let me know what you think.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Alright, but I'll just go some PoR late alongside the PoR in the boil. 👍

All good, I just used the higher AA hops for the bittering part as it saves me $1.60 a batch in hops and too much PoR (over 25 g) just overpowers it IMO.  Your tastes may be a lot different but see how you go.

18 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Your tastes may be a lot different but see how you go.

Alright, so this is done today...

Recipe: Aussie Lager
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Australian Sparkling Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 15.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.7 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          82.7 %        2.28 L        
0.20 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         2          4.7 %         0.13 L        
0.03 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         3          0.7 %         0.02 L        
0.50 kg          Dextrose (Briess) [Boil] (2.0 EBC)               Sugar         4          11.8 %        0.32 L        
15.00 g          Centennial [10.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min             Hop           5          17.0 IBUs     -             
25.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20 Hop           6          7.7 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

M54 repitch - no it's not, it's a Wyeast umm, something.

Dunno where winter went??? May need to move back to saison's shortly, it must be covid related the warm weather, all the fevers accelerating global warming.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

American IPA Brew day today. This will be entered into another local brewing comp. same comp my Aus Lager won, they’ve asked me back for the next round as a “winner stays on” type of deal. 

More of an early 90s type IPA. Big malt character, hopped with pine, resin and dank pellets like Columbus, chinook, centennial and cascade etc.  

grain bill was fairly large,  just shy of 7kg, majority being marris otter, some pale two row, Munich and light crystal. 

warrior, willamette and cascade all in the kettle to 65IBU. 

centennial, simcoe, Columbus and some citra going in dry. 

English ale yeast doing the hard yards at 1.067 down to 1.010. 

stonker of a water profile with the S/C ratio sitting at 5.7

F8420689-549B-4315-AC1E-78D668FCC037.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Alright, so this is done today...

M54 repitch - no it's not, it's a Wyeast umm, something.

Dunno where winter went??? May need to move back to saison's shortly, it must be covid related the warm weather, all the fevers accelerating global warming.

Hey Blob, interested in the 30g roast barley addition. Is that for colour or flavour? Or both?

Never considered that in an Aussie lager style. Hope it turns out great. Cheers 🍻👍

@Tone boy Would be for colour IMO TB as he has hit 15.7 EBC for an Aussie Lager or (sparkling ale as per GB's chosen style).  I always think of a cricket match or team when it comes to an Aussie lager so EBC should be around 11 -ish for mine.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1

SOUTH OF THE BORDER MEXICAN LAGER 🤠 🇲🇽

I thought I would try this kit, comes with Brew Enhancer but I am a bit sus about the contents 75% Dextrose/25% Maltodextrin, I have a pack of Band Dried Malt Light x 250gm but I am thinking that would also contain Dextrose or I could use the the LME 1.7gm I bought for another brew. I didn't want to change the flavour profile too much.

Comes with US-02 11.5gm & I have 25gm Saaz to boost it up a bit.

20210729_134944.jpg

20210729_140430.jpg

• Like 2

Brew day yesterday Baltic Porter hit 1077 og, first hurdle,  thought I had Chocolate Malt but didn’t so just added more Carafa II. See how it goes I no chilled and dropped it on my OTTO’s Pilsner (kegged this morning) yeast cake this morning. Can’t wait for the Porter hopefully all goes well with fermentation being a big beer and lager yeast fingers crossed 🤞 will definitely be a sipper.

🍻 

27AAAD2E-6C68-48C3-80AE-49AC10E720D8.png

• Like 3