Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

Another brew day today an AG version of my Busty Blonde as I have some older US-05 yeasts to use up before I will have to make a starter with them.  This is Batch # 60, AG Batch # 19 using filtered rainwater, no salt additions just to see where the PH of the mash lands with just the 0.15 kg of Acidulated Malt inclusion and unfortunately it was high being 5.7.  It appears that my mashes when using RO water get to 5.6 so may have to look at using RO nearly all the time along with an injection of lactic acid.  Just waiting for the hot wort to clear up a bit and then it will be pumped into my last remain empty cube.

Its been a bit like a fresh wort factory around here this week.  ha ha😁

EDIT: changed my tactic with this brew, did not use the spiral filter at the bottom of the kettle just to see how it went.  Without it I can extract more of the wort = less wasted and the whirlpool seems to make the trub collect in the right spot away from the pump pickup so it was a win win today.

Recipe: Busty Blonde ver 6 AG # 19
Brewer: Alicat
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 37.00 L
Post Boil Volume: 29.50 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 21.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
36.00 L          Melbourne Rain Water                             Water         1          -             -             
4.50 kg          Pale Ale, Finest Maris Otter (Simpsons) (4.2 EBC Grain         2          90.0 %        2.93 L        
0.25 kg          Cara-Pils/Carafoam Weyermann (4.5 EBC)           Grain         3          5.0 %         0.16 L        
0.15 kg          Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)                 Grain         4          3.0 %         0.10 L        
0.10 kg          Crystal, Light (Simpsons) (88.0 EBC)             Grain         5          2.0 %         0.07 L        
20.00 g          Centennial [8.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min              Hop           6          20.5 IBUs     -             
15.00 g          Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min                 Hop           7          7.5 IBUs      -             
5.00 g           Yeast Nutrient Powder (Boil 15.0 mins)           Other         8          -             -             
1.00 g           Whirlfloc Granulated (Boil 5.0 mins)             Fining        9          -             -             
1.0 pkg          Safale American US-05 (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50 Yeast         10         -             -             

Mash Schedule: BIABasket, Standard Mash 65 C for 60"
Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
----------------------------
Name                    Description                           Step Temperature Step Time     
Mash Step               Add 40.06 L of water and heat to 65.0 65.0 C           60 min       

Busty Blonde Wort - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Boil Size: 37.00 L

Post Boil Volume: 29.50 L

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L

Seems like a lot lost through the boil.  But you might get more vigour in yours than I get.  I only lose about 3 L per hour.

Also leaving a fair bit in the kettle after filling the fermenter (cube).  Do you save it for starters or something?

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Its been a bit like a fresh wort factory around here this week.  ha ha😁

Hey Al it's probably better you are home brewing, at least it keeps you off the streets & out of the pubs 😄  It certainly is the case for me. My brew days aren't as complex as yours but it still takes time to get it rigt. Cheers.

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Seems like a lot lost through the boil.  But you might get more vigour in yours than I get.  I only lose about 3 L per hour.

Also leaving a fair bit in the kettle after filling the fermenter (cube).  Do you save it for starters or something?

Those volumes are incorrect SOS, I have not updated the volumes in BeerSmith for a while now.  Pre-boil was actually 35 L, post-boil was 26.5 L, batch size was 23 L.  Plus its a big kettle being 460 mm in diameter.  I try to keep at just a rolling boil but my take on that means probably does have more vigor than necessary.

I bought 3 x 1 L reagent jars specifically for the purpose of jarring up some left over wort to be later used for starters and save on DME but have used them all for yeast trub washing recently so shot myself in the foot.  Next order I will grab about 4 more of these as it is such a waste of good wort.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Al it's probably better you are home brewing, at least it keeps you off the streets & out of the pubs 😄  It certainly is the case for me. My brew days aren't as complex as yours but it still takes time to get it rigt. Cheers.

Its a bit hard to do anything else here while VIC is in total lock down as we have been since last week.  Trouble is I am going to run out of grains if the lock down lasts for longer than end of next week.  I've got plenty of beer in kegs and now heaps of fresh wort's all cubed up ready and waiting for a vacant FV so all in all its not too bad.   Weather has been too wet and shitty to go fishing even if I was allowed to so brewing it is.😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Its a bit hard to do anything else here while VIC is in total lock down as we have been since last week.  Trouble is I am going to run out of grains if the lock down lasts for longer than end of next week.  I've got plenty of beer in kegs and now heaps of fresh wort's all cubed up ready and waiting for a vacant FV so all in all its not too bad.   Weather has been too wet and shitty to go fishing even if I was allowed to so brewing it is.😉

Yeah I do hear you, the lockdown situation must be terribly frustrating, in SA we have experienced it but not as severe as you poor blokes, I feel for you. I hope it can sort itself out soon.

Meanwhile keep your chin up & happy brewing. Cheers.

• Like 2

Coops Euro lager 1.7kg

Coops liquid light malt 1.5kg

250 gram LDM

200 gram carapils 45 min steep between 65 and 68 degrees at times

20 gram Hallertau traditional & 15 gram sazz 10 boil 5 steep lid off in hop ball.

19 litres OG 1.057 2 packs mangrove jacks Bavarian lager yeast 20 grams pitched at 17 brew fridge on 14 then will drop to 12 later. 

I usually aim for 12 or 14 to pitch cousin came around to help with something toward end so pitched it as was.

20210722_133603.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Stickers said:

it's my one year anniversary of starting brewing this weekend so i'm going back to where it all began, a can of cooper's lager and brew enhancer 1. just ordered for click and collect tomorrow 🙂

even for the centimetal side why would u make crap thin cider tasting beer?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Stickers said:

i want to experience how it tastes out of a keg and i'm a sentimental person 🙂

well said your probably on to something there I.reckon with out priming sugar it might be less on cider side

30 minutes ago, Stickers said:

i want to experience how it tastes out of a keg and i'm a sentimental person 🙂

well said your probably on to something there I.reckon with out priming sugar it might be less on cider side

Temperature control would probably help avoid the cidery flavours too. Priming sugar doesn't cause it. 

I'll be brewing again soon as well. My hops arrived yesterday from cheeky peak, a kilo of Saaz, and 200-250g amounts of Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, and Citra so plenty of pale ales and pilsners in the pipeline. Next batch will be a red ale though. 

Too busy this weekend, next weekend I have to go buy a sack of pilsner malt and some keg fittings so I'll probably brew again in 2 weeks. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

My hops arrived yesterday from cheeky peak, a kilo of Saaz, and 200-250g amounts of Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, and Citra

Pretty happy with CPB's hops Kelsey? @Otto Von Blotto

Will need to put in an order eventually myself - interested in your thoughts mate... my experience in past w CPB Hops has been ok.

Edited by Graubart

Just now, Graubart said:

Pretty happy with CPB's hops Kelsey? @Otto Von Blotto

Will need to put in an order eventually - interested in your thoughts... my experience in past w CPB Hops has been ok.

Yeah, my last bigger order came from there as well and the beers were all fine. I sort of chop and change between them and Yakima valley hops, this time I used cheeky peak because I wanted the hop spider as well so it was easier to just make one order. They're also good if I want it delivered sooner being in the same country. Don't know of any places up here that do bulk amounts at a good price like that. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, my last bigger order came from there as well and the beers were all fine. I sort of chop and change between them and Yakima valley hops, this time I used cheeky peak because I wanted the hop spider as well so it was easier to just make one order. They're also good if I want it delivered sooner being in the same country. Don't know of any places up here that do bulk amounts at a good price like that. 

Yep cheeky peak are good for hops  @Graubart and so are beerco in my experience (hops and grain). Beerco are in Vic, not sure where you guys are. ..
From your posts I’ve always imagined you live in some beer nirvana existential state 🤪✌️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

From your posts I’ve always imagined you live in some beer nirvana existential state 🤪✌️

Haha so correct TB luvyerwork... you have definitely defined the boundaries in the space time continuum which I frequent 🥳

image.thumb.png.f2a05f32316495af1328df206d6f47bf.png

• Haha 2

PAM, my mid strength pacific ale is in the FV, yeast is in and it currently enjoys its 18C environment. Currently heating up for the boil is my first real lager in like ever. A nice an simple Munich Hell, where hell stands for light in colour, not the place where you will meet all the interesting people 🙂 

IMG_7046.HEICIMG_7047.HEIC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Belgian Ale brewed yesterday and no chilled in a cube.  Pitched today.

I was a bit tired when I posted the recipe last night.  In fact, this morning, I could not remember if I posted the recipe 🤪.  Here goes, the way I intended:

• Batch volume: 36 L
  • Boil time: 60 min
  • Pre-boil Volume: 26.56 L
  • Fermenter Top-up: 13.5 L
  • Brewhouse efficiency: 76.6 %
  • Mash Efficiency: 83 %
  • Predicted ABV: 5.3 %
  • Predicted OG: 1.048
  • Predicted FG: 1.008
  • Predicted IBU: 22
  • Predicted BU/GU: 0.46

Fermentables

• 6.1 kg Joe White Pilsner
  • 600 g Table Sugar
  • 300g Carapils
  • Mash 65°C for 75 min, Mash Out 75°C for 10 min

Hops

• 39 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 4.4% 60 min boil (10.8 IBU)
  • 17 g Saaz 3.6% 60 min boil (3.8 IBU)
  • 32 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 4.4% 15 min boil (5.7 IBU)
  • 13 g Saaz 3.6% 15 min boil (1.9 IBU)

Yeast

• Mangrove Jacks M47 Belgian Abbey
  • 1.2 L Starter 118 g LDM
  • 341 bil cells

Misc

• Water additions: Lactic Acid; Baking Soda; Calcium Chloride; Salt; Chalk; Epsom Salt; Gypsum; Sodium Metabisulphite
  • 24 g Bitter Orange Peel Powder 5 min boil
  • 24g Sweet Orange Peel Powder 5 min boil
  • 200 ml Isinglass
  • 14 g Polyclar

Fermentation Profile

• 18°C for 5 days
  • 20°C for 3 days
  • Cold crash once SG stable

Boil additions 

IMG_2496.JPG.a4096ef67e9e34d6ad60111c202cd24d.JPG

Brewday

IMG_2497.JPG.16cd64f359a762f8d34c9c5644e2533b.JPG

The observant will notice the Batch Size and the Fermenter Top-up.  That is because I got two 20 L Fermenter King Juniors from Keg King a couple of weeks ago.  They had a pallet of them reduced to $25 each.  It costs more to but the posts, dip tubes and floating dip tube.  Supposedly they have some surface imperfections, but I could not find any.  If you want a bargain get on in.   As a bonus two will fit side-by-side in my temperature controlled brewing freezer. 

So what I have done is made a concentrated all grain wort, split it into the two FKJ's and added cooled boiled water.  It will be interesting to see how this goes.  It is a way for me to make almost a double batch from one brewday.  Pic of my babies.

IMG_2501.thumb.JPG.3737ae8ce03f4e5668e273f68377585e.JPG

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 5

Brew day, I have some catching up to do.

Recipe: Flanders (Roselare 2)
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Flanders Red Ale

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 30.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 9.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          72.9 %        2.28 L        
1.00 kg          Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                Grain         2          20.8 %        0.65 L        
0.20 kg          Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC)                      Grain         3          4.2 %         0.13 L        
0.10 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         4          2.1 %         0.07 L        
10.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           5          9.9 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Roselare Belgian Blend (Wyeast Labs #3763) [124. Yeast         6          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second repitch.

Recipe: Berliner Weisse 3
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Berliner Weisse

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 5.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
1.75 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         1          50.0 %        1.14 L        
1.75 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.14 L        
5.00 g           Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           3          5.5 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Berliner Weisse Blend (White Labs #WLP630) [50.2 Yeast         4          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd repitch.

$25 all up, BARGAIN!!!

• Like 2