Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Look forward to hearing how that goes another yeast for me to try eventually👍

Yeah WY3787 is the Westmalle yeast and is the one I would recommend as the best all around for a Belgian yeast. Makes a good dubbel, tripel and quad. You can also get very different beers by varying the pitch rate and fermentation temp. The other plus is its not finniky like some of the others. It will just rip through it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cubed up my batch #56, AG batch #15 another Leigh's Lager today after having a few tastes of the previous brew from the keg last night.  I really think I needed one of these for myself so got stuck into mashing and boiling it up before the normal brew schedule resumes .  Will use the reclaimed Diamond Lager yeast I harvested a couple of weeks back.  Will pitch this one late tomorrow afternoon as I my schedule plan was to mash up another batch of my Coopers Sparkling ale in the morning so it will be a busy day.

Just sipping my True Blue Aussie Ale and found that keg is low so will have to squeeze another batch of this in this week as well.  Am savoring this one as the recipe is right where I want it for one of my house ales.  Damn - spoke too soon and the keg blew on the very next glass.  boo hoo. 😢

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Just got back from LHBS, I ended up with 2 x Cans MJ Blonde Dry on Special 2 for $25.00 best before 27/02/22. I got  2 x 1.7kg Light Malt Extract, 2 x 15gm Saaz, 2 x US-05 & finally got a couple of Hop Balls. I may as well do a double batch tomorrow. 

Should be a reasonable brew.

Cheers

Phil

20210713_143049.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Breaktrainjack said:

The unwanted surprise with kegs hey @iBooz2

Yes BTJ, this one was packed into a big chest freezer with several others so it was hard to tell how low it was without upsetting the keg cart by lifting it.

I think I need bigger kegs or smaller glasses  ha ha 😆

• Haha 1

Cubed up another brew today.  My Batch #57, AG batch #16 which is my clone of the Coopers Sparkling Ale ver 1_1.   Using RO water this time just to see what the differences will be when compared with the previous brew which was done with filtered rainwater.  I added salts to match the Yellow Balanced water profile both times. 

Just want to see if I am wasting my time generating all the RO water I need each brew or if I should just simply use my rainwater in future brews.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

Ill do that Jamie now you mention it ..alot of times i go get morgans 11g english ale yeast i end up adding a heap of adjuncts  ..i like the fruitiness of morgans ..coopers yeast is nice as well ..tend to get more banana from morgans also they rip thru the sugars quickly 🍻

• Like 1

Another brew day today, that's three brew days in a row, the nano brewery kettle is a smoking!   🙂

Cubed up my Batch #58, AG Batch #17.  It was my True Blue Pale Ale but I had run out of the usual malts so had to sub some others in.  Looks like another run over to get some more 25 Kg bags of base malts to keep me going.  Only had 2.50 kg of VIC Ale Malt (BB) and 0.77 kg of VIC Pilsner Malt (BB) so chucked in 0.50 kg of MO, 0.25 kg wheat malt and 0.10 kg Caramunich II to get the EBC to where I want it.   Also used 0.10 kg of Acidulated Malt but think I will up this to 0.15 kg next batch as the PH only just got to 5.6 during the mash.  No other acid additions so I am pretty settled on the 0.15 kg Acidulated Malt as a fixed item in most of my recipes from now on when using my rainwater.

Hmm what to brew next....  Got heaps of MO and Premium Pilsner Malt.  Might have a crack at one of Otto's Pilsners tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

now I have 2 brew fridges can pump some batches out on right Aussie lager put down last Thursday on left eclipse pale ale just mixed up. 

1.7kg Coops aus pale ale

1.5kg Coops Light Liquid Wheat Malt

250 gram light dry malt

50 gram eclipse 15 steep just boiled water lid off 600ml water

20.5 litres OG.1.052

pitched 11.5 gram US-05 @ 23 degrees BF set to 18

20210708_133920.jpg

20210714_162423.jpg

20210714_162432.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

How do you plan to brew those light bulbs moite 

Looking for enlightenment? 

the action of enlightening or the state of being enlightened 🤔

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

now I have 2 brew fridges can pump some batches out on right Aussie lager put down last Thursday on left eclipse pale ale just mixed up. 

Good one Jamie the addition of Wheat Malt Extract to my beers has made a huge difference & better yeast & nice hops. Cheers.

• Like 1

Well I just could not help myself.  Cubed up yet another brew today, an Otto's Pilsner @Otto Von Blotto that makes it Batch # 59, AG # 18 and four brew days in a row.   Maybe do another tomorrow but will see with timings what I have grain stocks of.

Used RO water for this Otto baby and only the 0.10 kg of Acidulated Malts as per Otto's recipe but still could not get the PH of the mash down further than 5.6.  My BeerSmith PH adjust tool tells me this needed 6.2 ml of lactic Acid addition to hit the target PH of 5.3 (which I did not put in this first try of his recipe) a suck it and see approach.

Only salts added were per Otto's recipe 0.50 g Gypsum, 0.45 g Epson Salts and 0.32 g Calcium Chloride.  I did not try and hit any particular water profile, was just going to see how this turns out.

Bug bear of the day was that the recent batch of Saaz hops from KL seemed to turn to mush in the boil and a lot of matter got out of my hop socks.  At first I thought one or more of the hop socks had come undone or had torn open but this was not the case.  I thick the hop grind in manufacturing of these pellets is way too fine as I don't have this problem with say PoR, or Haller... Mitt... etc.

For those of you that use hop spiders, do you lot think if I get one of those, will stop the crud getting into my wort.  Any pros or cons using a hop spider?  TIA.

Otto did you record the PH of your batch recently as interested were it got to? - Cheers

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 36.00 L
Post Boil Volume: 26.01 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 20.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 10.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 49.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
36.50 L          Alicat's RO Water                                Water         1          -             -             
0.50 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   2          -             -             
0.45 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   3          -             -             
0.32 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   4          -             -             
4.25 kg          Pilsner (WEY) Premium Pilsner Malt (2.8 EBC)     Grain         5          94.2 %        2.77 L        
0.15 kg          Melanoidin (Weyermann) (50.0 EBC)                Grain         6          3.3 %         0.10 L        
0.10 kg          Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)                 Grain         7          2.2 %         0.07 L        
0.01 kg          Black Malt (Simpsons) (1666.5 EBC)               Grain         8          0.2 %         0.01 L        
32.00 g          Saaz [4.30 %] - First Wort 90.0 min              Hop           9          18.8 IBUs     -             
32.00 g          Saaz [4.30 %] - Boil 80.0 min                    Hop           10         16.9 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Saaz [4.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min                    Hop           11         10.2 IBUs     -             
5.00 g           Yeast Nutrient Powder (Boil 15.0 mins)           Other         12         -             -             
0.10 g           Whirlfloc Granulated (Boil 5.0 mins)             Fining        13         -             -             
30.00 g          Saaz [4.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  15.0 min, 90.2  Hop           14         3.9 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Czech Pilsner Lager (Wyeast Labs #2278) [124.21  Yeast         15         -             -             

Mash Schedule: BIABasket, Ottos Pilsner, 3 Step Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.51 kg
----------------------------
Name                    Description                           Step Temperature Step Time     
Mash Step 1 63C         Add 38.76 L of water and heat to 63.0 63.0 C           50 min        
Mash Step 2 72 C        Heat to 72.0 C over 9 min             72.0 C           30 min        
Mash Step 3 Mash Out 78 Heat to 78.0 C over 5 min             78.0 C           10 min        

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Well I just could not help myself.  Cubed up yet another brew today, an Otto's Pilsner @Otto Von Blotto that makes it Batch # 59, AG # 18 and four brew days in a row.   Maybe do another tomorrow but will see with timings what I have grain stocks of.

Used RO water for this Otto baby and only the 0.10 kg of Acidulated Malts as per Otto's recipe but still could not get the PH of the mash down further than 5.6.  My BeerSmith PH adjust tool tells me this needed 6.2 ml of lactic Acid addition to hit the target PH of 5.3 (which I did not put in this first try of his recipe) a suck it and see approach.

Only salts added were per Otto's recipe 0.50 g Gypsum, 0.45 g Epson Salts and 0.32 g Calcium Chloride.  I did not try and hit any particular water profile, was just going to see how this turns out.

Bug bear of the day was that the recent batch of Saaz hops from KL seemed to turn to mush in the boil and a lot of matter got out of my hop socks.  At first I thought one or more of the hop socks had come undone or had torn open but this was not the case.  I thick the hop grind in manufacturing of these pellets is way too fine as I don't have this problem with say PoR, or Haller... Mitt... etc.

For those of you that use hop spiders, do you lot think if I get one of those, will stop the crud getting into my wort.  Any pros or cons using a hop spider?  TIA.

Otto did you record the PH of your batch recently as interested were it got to? - Cheers

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 36.00 L
Post Boil Volume: 26.01 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 20.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 10.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 49.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
36.50 L          Alicat's RO Water                                Water         1          -             -             
0.50 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   2          -             -             
0.45 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   3          -             -             
0.32 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   4          -             -             
4.25 kg          Pilsner (WEY) Premium Pilsner Malt (2.8 EBC)     Grain         5          94.2 %        2.77 L        
0.15 kg          Melanoidin (Weyermann) (50.0 EBC)                Grain         6          3.3 %         0.10 L        
0.10 kg          Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)                 Grain         7          2.2 %         0.07 L        
0.01 kg          Black Malt (Simpsons) (1666.5 EBC)               Grain         8          0.2 %         0.01 L        
32.00 g          Saaz [4.30 %] - First Wort 90.0 min              Hop           9          18.8 IBUs     -             
32.00 g          Saaz [4.30 %] - Boil 80.0 min                    Hop           10         16.9 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Saaz [4.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min                    Hop           11         10.2 IBUs     -             
5.00 g           Yeast Nutrient Powder (Boil 15.0 mins)           Other         12         -             -             
0.10 g           Whirlfloc Granulated (Boil 5.0 mins)             Fining        13         -             -             
30.00 g          Saaz [4.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  15.0 min, 90.2  Hop           14         3.9 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Czech Pilsner Lager (Wyeast Labs #2278) [124.21  Yeast         15         -             -             

Mash Schedule: BIABasket, Ottos Pilsner, 3 Step Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.51 kg
----------------------------
Name                    Description                           Step Temperature Step Time     
Mash Step 1 63C         Add 38.76 L of water and heat to 63.0 63.0 C           50 min        
Mash Step 2 72 C        Heat to 72.0 C over 9 min             72.0 C           30 min        
Mash Step 3 Mash Out 78 Heat to 78.0 C over 5 min             78.0 C           10 min        

Hi mate I made this recipe a few times made it the other day my ph started at 5.9 adjusted to 5.6 left it at that. Seems good so far it’s cold crashing now. I use a hop spider keeps the crap out and comes out really clear after a short whirlpool using whirfloc. I also made same recipe with my hood instead of Saaz blood good. Hope your s turns out nice. 🍻 

• Thanks 1

Good luck with the brew mate, it should turn out well even though the pH didn't quite get to where you wanted it. I didn't measure mine when I did that recent one, first brew back and all just wanted to make sure I still had my process down pat. Next time I make a pilsner I'll get a reading, I'm curious to see what it ends up at. 

I did take an FG test the other day though and had the obligatory taste of it, it's just as good as that recipe usually is 👍

• Thanks 1

Another partial going down today.  Local supermarkets have been selling of Coopers OS and Lion cans pretty cheap lately so rather than my usual stove-top AG's I'm taking advantage of these discounted tins and continuing with partial-mash brews for now  This one is a first time ever using a Lion tin -  in particular, the draught.  Not much info out there about Lion kits and I know when I worked at my LHBS I don't think I sold a single can the entire year I was there!  But, what little review info I did read about them seemed to be quite favourable.  They're made in teh same place as Black Rock, WilliamsWarn, MangroveJacks (cans) etc so I guess there's no reason whey they should be any different.   Fortunately I also managed to find EBC/IBU info so that was helpful when it came to dialling up something in Beersmith:  

So, this simple 20 litre brew is modelled on a British Golden ale: 

Golden Lion

• 1.7kg Lion Draught Can
  • 800g GF Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Wheat Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 20g Amarillo @5mins
  • 30g Amarillo steep
  • Kveik Voss   

Expected: ABV=4%, IBU=31

As an aside, I don't think the BS EBC values are anywhere near correct for the this and Coopers OS kits.    

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 6